Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Almaraz to Atlanta/Zuraw Retires

Almaraz to Atlanta/Zuraw Retires

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

Friday, January 05, 2007

Nice move for Almaraz

It appears Johnny Almaraz has landed on his feet. The longtime Reds scout has reportedly been hired as the Braves' director of Latin American operations.

Johnny hasn't returned calls since resigning last month, and today was no different. Talked to a couple Reds people who said they had heard Almaraz had something in the works with Atlanta but they'd heard nothing official.

As front offices go, there aren't many more respected than John Schuerholz's crew, so this looks like a great move for Almaraz. He'll be missed around here, and I'd love to pick his brain on his real reasons for leaving the Reds.
    Saturday, January 06, 2007

Legendary former Reds scout retires

From our friends in Sarasota, the news that longtime Reds scout George Zuraw, 75, has officially retired. Zuraw, who was with the Reds from 1968-88, signed Ray Knight and Dave Miley, among others.
    http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pb...701060604/1006

Rays scout Zuraw retires

Englewood resident has been involved in professional baseball since 1956.
    By DENNIS MAFFEZZOLI

dennis.maffezzoli@heraldtribune.com
    ENGLEWOOD -- One of the most successful and respected baseball scouts is calling it a career.

George Zuraw submitted his resignation as major league scout and consultant for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. It was accepted by Rays executive vice president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman.

Zuraw's final day is Jan. 15.

"I'm officially retired," the 75-year-old Zuraw said.

Named as the "King of Baseball" by Baseball America during the 2002 Winter Meetings, Zuraw has been involved in pro baseball since graduating in 1949 from Charleroi (Pa.) High School, where he played baseball, football, basketball and was a band member.

The Englewood resident was an outfielder in the minor leagues with the Pittsburgh and Cleveland organizations through 1956. Zuraw missed the 1951 and '52 seasons serving in the U.S. Navy during the Korean War.

In 1956, while attending California State College in Pennsylvania and working in the display advertising and sports departments at the Charleroi Mail, the local newspaper, the Pittsburgh Pirates hired Zuraw as an associate scout.

Three years later, he became the Southeast scouting supervisor for the Pirates.

Zuraw moved to the Cincinnati Reds in 1968. He spent 20 years there, including the "Big Red Machine" era. Zuraw picked up his second, third, fourth and fifth World Series rings while with the Reds, who won in 1975 and '76, adding to the winning ring he received in 1960 with the Pirates.

In 1988, he was named assistant general manager of the Seattle Mariners. Six years later, the Mariners went from doormats to division contenders, following the hiring of manager Lou Piniella.

After leaving Seattle and returning to Pittsburgh in 2000 as assistant GM, Zuraw joined the Rays in 2003 as a major league consultant.

"It's been a good ride," Zuraw said.

A grassroots-type scout, Zuraw personally signed 27 players who played or managed in the major leagues, including Ray Knight, Dave Miley and Tampa Bay's first manager Larry Rothschild.

The signings that made him most proud were the "fill-ins" who made it to the big leagues. On the list are Jeff Treadway, Sarasota's Doug Corbett and Steve Christmas, a shortstop converted to catcher.

One season during his years with Cincinnati, Zuraw was responsible for signing 44 of the roughly 125 players in the entire organization.

Zuraw also likes to tell the story of two who got away.

He claims to be the first to scout Steve Carlton and Don Sutton, only to have them sign elsewhere.

Zuraw saw Carlton as a sophomore at North Miami High School. Following his senior year in 1963, Zuraw offered the left-hander a $4,000 signing bonus. A scout from St. Louis signed Carlton to a $5,000 bonus.

In 1964, Sutton was a senior at Pensacola Tate High. The right-hander was seeking a signing bonus to cover the the cost of his college education, about $10,000. Zuraw's bid was a few thousand dollars. Sutton went on to Gulf Coast Junior College in Panama City.

That summer, Sutton played in a collegiate league in Kansas. The Los Angeles Dodgers landed him with a $25,000 bonus.

Both Carlton and Sutton are in Baseball's Hall of Fame.

While his forte was signing professional players, Zuraw is proud of the fact he helped many high school players land college scholarships.

Zuraw spent the past four seasons close to home with the Rays. He was a fixture at Tropicana Field.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Re: Almaraz to Atlanta/Zuraw Retires

Man, that's a huge stick in the eye to Krivsky and the Reds. Get dumped by a crap organization and land in a first-rate one? Ouch.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

It was obvious that Almaraz and Krivsky couldn't work together. But while we club this death, remember the days when Jim Bowden was the GM and several front office people bolted because they couldn't work with the guy and trust him either?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Man, that's a huge stick in the eye to Krivsky and the Reds. Get dumped by a crap organization and land in a first-rate one? Ouch.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
    Why waste your time then?

Head on over there champ.

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/NASApp...x.jsp?c_id=atl

True statement by falls city

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Why waste your time then?

Head on over there champ.

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/NASApp...x.jsp?c_id=atl
    Shame is a great motivator. If Wayne were smart, he'd internalize what's just happened and learn to work more intelligently with good people. Especially when it seems abundantly clear that not all of Wayne's moves have been golden. If I'm stuck with Krivsky, I at least want him listening to the right people as often as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by EX BRAVEDAD View Post
    True statement by falls city
    Yep, he's RZ's favorite graffiti artist, spraying his opinion in every thread.

We all see it, we all know it.... but he's the one with the cans.

Especially when it seems abundantly clear that not all of Wayne's moves have been golden.
    When you find the GM in baseball who has made all the right moves let me know.

The Braves can now enjoy the never ending stream of phenoms that we have enjoyed over the last 15 years.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I'm pleased to hear that Almaraz was able to find another job in pro baseball. He served the Reds well. Now, I hope Krivski conducts an effective search for someone better than Almaraz at scouting and development, which the Reds organization needs.

It still baffles me how a guy, presumably under contract, can quit and then go take another job. I think he should have to sit out until such time as his old contract expired.

Maybe it's just me.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    It still baffles me how a guy, presumably under contract, can quit and then go take another job. I think he should have to sit out until such time as his old contract expired.

Maybe it's just me.
    He offered his resignation and they accepted it.

Howsam went to the Cardinals in 1964 and had to deal with all the old GM's cronies, he said it was much tougher, even though many of them were esteemed and they had just won a WS with that group. Three years later he split the Cardinals for the Reds, why? Because as he said, "Here I get to make all the decisions."

That's a double edge sword, but I'd prefer my teams GM to build his own system, if that means folks panties get all wadded up then so be it.

Change is painful, but not as painful as organizational inertia and the Reds of the 21st century have been guilty of that.

Schuerholz is a great GM and Cox is a great manager but the Braves organization is on the decline under AOL/Time/Warner. Those two guys will be there a couple of more years and then it will be all downhill until new owners come in.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yep, he's RZ's favorite graffiti artist, spraying his opinion in every thread.

We all see it, we all know it.... but he's the one with the cans.

When you find the GM in baseball who has made all the right moves let me know.
    You don't have to worry, some sunshiney poster from Ga. who is, apparently, a Reds fan, takes it upon himself to save up all his negs to neg rep. me any chance he gets. So I've been properly chastened for having an opinion, not breaking board rules.

Cheers.

This board has so many freakin' Nazis on it, it's pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    You don't have to worry, some sunshiney poster from Ga. who is, apparently, a Reds fan, takes it upon himself to save up all his negs to neg rep. me any chance he gets. So I've been properly chastened for having an opinion, not breaking board rules.

Cheers.

This board has so many freakin' Nazis on it, it's pathetic.
    Lay down your burdens
    Lay down your cares
    The Holy Virgin, she's gonna greet you up there
    With a big can of spray paint, yeah
    And a big blank wall
    And I can guaran-damn-tee you
    There ain't no cops around at all

Graffiti Limbo
    Where do you go?
    Graffiti Limbo
    When there ain't no justice

Man Pills