Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN "Insider" Rumors

ESPN "Insider" Rumors

Code:
         WHO          INTERESTED                 THE SKINNY
           Jeff Weaver      Mets           wants a 4 yr/ 40 mil deal

David Wells     Padres          Padres or bust (retire)

Mark Mulder     Cardinals       Indians still negotiating. Both the Indians and
                           Indans          Texas have offered 2 yr deals at 7.75 Mil w/incentives. The
                           Rangers         Cards have offered a 1 yr deal

Roger Clemens   Yankees         Roger Clemens'agent, Randy Hendricks, has advised him to wait
                           Astros          until midseason to return. Yanks determined to not be outbid. 
                           Red Sox         Clemens weary of Astros lack of run support.

Brian Jordan      ?             After 15 years, and more then a dozen trips to the DL,

Ryan Franklin   Royals          Nats have expressed interest to shore up their thin rotation.
                           Cardinals
                           Nationals

Jim Parque      White Sox       Parque hasn't appeared in the majors since 2003 because of
                           Athletics       shoulder troubles. A former 1st round pick from UCLA, he went
                           Angels          31-34 in parts of 6 seasons with the White Sox and Devil Rays.
                           Rangers         Agent Paul Cohen said he recently hit 90 mph on the radar gun
                           Padres          in a workout for several big-league clubs.
                           Reds

Brian Lawrence  Rockies         Pirates officials have attended several of Lawrence's mound 
                           Pirates         workouts, and may make an initial offer within the week.
                           D'Backs         Lawrence didn't pitch last year because of shoulder surgery.
                           Giants

Tomo Ohka       Mets            Has received contract offers from four undisclosed clubs, either
                           Rangers         for one year or multiple years. Mets GM Omar Minaya is familiar 
                           Twins           with Ohka from his days at Montreal. Boston has interest for him
                           Nationals       in the bullpen, but Ohka wants to start.
                           Pirates
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ESPN "Insider" Rumors

Weaver wants $10 million a year? I want to date Stacey Kiebler too.

Figures the only player the Reds are interested in is one who's been gone for 3 seasons thanks to shoulder trouble. At the rate it's going Krivsky should build a nursing home next to GABP and use it as the players dorm.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Weaver wants $10 million a year? I want to date Stacey Kiebler too.

Figures the only player the Reds are interested in is one who's been gone for 3 seasons thanks to shoulder trouble. At the rate it's going Krivsky should build a nursing home next to GABP and use it as the players dorm.
    What is really sad is I would not be surprised to see him get it. Whoever gets him needs to make sure their bullpen phones are in proper working order.

what is even sadder is that the Reds only show up on another sore arm pitcher in these rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003 View Post
    what is even sadder is that the Reds only show up on another sore arm pitcher in these rumors.
    Actually I can't remember the last deal that the Reds made that actually showed up on the rumor pages since JimBo. AlexG maybe but that was fairly obvious since we had to have a shortstop and he was one of the only ones out there for "cheap". I put no stock in rumors while DanO and WayneK have been here because they don't or didn't seem to talk to the press. I think that is good. Also, frankly I don't know that I would want the Reds to go after any of those.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    I put no stock in rumors while DanO and WayneK have been here because they don't or didn't seem to talk to the press.
    No, but agents do, in the case of free agents, and other GMs do, in the case of trades. So even though Wayne plays it close to the vest, it is still possible for "true" rumors to get out there.
    Makes all the routine posts.

I would have to think that Clemens is going to the Yankees at this point. Don't know if that's a good idea.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

If Parque can be taken on a minor league invite to Spring Training, I'd take a flyer on him. He'll be 31 next month. Looking at his history on Baseball Cube, you can see he was rushed (first pro season started in High A and jumped to AAA, then moved to the big club the following year). I don't see losing anything taking a look at him (not a 40 man slot, mind you).

I'm still wondering if Ohka can help us.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

8 posts and no one brings up the fact that JimBo is expressing interest in putting Ryan Franklin in the rotation? After the way he pitched for the Reds last year, I can't believe any one would have interest in him pitching for them, let alone in the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'm still wondering if Ohka can help us.
    I doubt it. I'm glad the Reds are not lumped into that desperate group. Ohka had shoulder problems and a drop in velocity last year. With a serious shortage of starters, Ohka is an afterthought who is best grouped with Sidney Ponson and Ramon Ortiz at the bottom of a wish list.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    8 posts and no one brings up the fact that JimBo is expressing interest in putting Ryan Franklin in the rotation? After the way he pitched for the Reds last year, I can't believe any one would have interest in him pitching for them, let alone in the rotation.
    With only one person or two in their rotation, they'll probably look at Paul Wilson (who will probably be a great coach some day, but he's done as a pitcher). If the person's breathing, the Nats will look at them.
    Last edited by redsmetz; 01-07-2007 at 06:52 PM.

All dyslexics must untie!

When you think it's butter, but it's not? It's Parque
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    When you think it's butter, but it's not? It's Parque
    I'm really afraid we're headed down a slippery slope.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    It seems to me that Soriano should have been used to address this problem in July.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I need sleep. It took me several minutes to realize that you weren't suggesting that Soriano should have been put in the rotation.

Turn Off Ads?