Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What happens if the Reds get a lot worse in 2007?

Re: What happens if the Reds get a lot worse in 2007?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    1. Jerry Narron finds himself unemployed
    2. Wayne Krivsky finds himself unemployed
    3. Griffey retires
    4. Bronson Arroyo finds himself playing for a different team
    5. Adam Dunn finds himself playing for a different team
    6. FCB's post count approaches Krono-esque proportions?
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

I'm really surprised that many folks feel that Krivsky would get the ax. Very surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'm really surprised that many folks feel that Krivsky would get the ax. Very surprised.
    I don't think he would get the ax that quick. If 2008 AND 2009 are disasters that's a different story, but I would be suprised to see BCast being so rash as to send Krvisky packing that quick.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

I think Narron would go at least a year before Krvisky would.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I tried to give you a list of 5 FCB, but I couldn't do it. I don't think WK will be fired and I don't think there will be any monumental shifts.

I think it will make plain the point that 2006 was a fluke of luck and NL central crappiness -- it was the Royals 2003. This is an organization that cannot buy quick success and is not yet built for long term viability. A horrible 2007 will simply pull the curtain back even further on that first point and press the case for legitimately looking long term.

Jim Bowden had a win now mindset on a rebuild budget. Dan O'Brien had the right idea but failed at executing and did not understand the way to handle the major league team during a rebuild. You can't pretend like you aren't rebuilding when you are, ask Allan Baird - it's shooting yourself in the foot. WK talks a good game, but might get pinched by trying to have his cake and eat it too (see, The Trade). This is an organization that, if the right BOLD moves are taken, could be a legitimate, sustainable, winner in 2008 and beyond. I hope that a crappy 2007 could provide the necessary cover for those moves to be made - if it's not too late.

I fear that we're going to be so worried about saving face in the present (and even then failing to do so), that we ironically prevent ourselves from being truly successful in the future. While I don't want the Reds to suck in 2007, I hope that we aren't again fooled by early, luck-based, success which pushes WK in to making another ill-fated run at the expense of the future.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

1) Somehow, it will be blamed on Adam Dunn and strikeouts
    2-5) See above.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Cast slashes payroll when attendance drops and then talks again about being a big player in off season.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    1) Somehow, it will be blamed on Adam Dunn and strikeouts
    2-5) See above.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

I think the opposite will happen. Homer Bailey will join this club by Memorial Day to give the Reds a solid three in the rotation (Arroyo, Harang, Bailey). The Reds will get by with with Stanton/Weathers as the closer till the Allstar break.....which Krivsky will make a move to acquire a veteran closer. The defense will be much better with Freel/Denorifa in center, Gonzalez at shortstop and improvement in Encarncion's fielding.

I honestly think this club can win 90 games if there are no major injuries.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    I honestly think this club can win 90 games if there are no major injuries.

Yeah, if someone doesn't break a hip.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I think this team is already looking to 2008 anyway -- notably the arrival of Joey Votto and Homer Bailey as full-time players -- so I don't expect anyone to hit the panic button this year.

As it stands, this team is not being built to compete in 2007. A few moves in the future, prior to spring training, might change that, but as of this instant, I can't imagine anyone with a baseball mind expects anything other than a mild disaster from the Reds this year.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I think this team is already looking to 2008 anyway -- notably the arrival of Joey Votto and Homer Bailey as full-time players -- so I don't expect anyone to hit the panic button this year.

As it stands, this team is not being built to compete in 2007. A few moves in the future, prior to spring training, might change that, but as of this instant, I can't imagine anyone with a baseball mind expects anything other than a mild disaster from the Reds this year.
    I agree. I believe they've punted 2007 entirely, and possibly 2008. I don't think Milton's coming off the books or the arrival (and possible success) of Votto and Bailey is enough to get this team into position for contention in 2008. Milton's salary slot, in the best case, will be filled with Harang's money. And I wouldn't be surprised to see Arroyo gone in the offseason next year.

I think we can assume a couple of things:

1. This team is not going to see a jump in payroll in the next year (maybe two).

2. This team is rebuilding, not contending (or contending only by accident, attrition in the division, not design), for the next several years.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Let's say the Reds end the season 72-90, with few injuries to link to the record's cause. What happens? Give me a list of 5 things that occur as a result of that record.
    The optimistic will make excuses sprinkled with quipy little remarks in an attempt to disarm and discount the realist.

I think that there will be a lot of Lou fans in the closet this year, and next year they will quietly set back and snicker at the nay sayers.

I think most of us can see Krivsky moving the big contracts coming down the road including Dunn.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 01-07-2007 at 04:12 PM.

Yeah, the Reds look to be punting 2007-8 anyway. I don't see much of a shakeup as Krivsky looks to build up the internals. Narron may get axed but the manager is so overrated.

Probably just trade or release the players they don't want and develope the ones they do.

I think Narron could easily be gone by the ASB, but I think Krivsky will be here till next season regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Turn Off Ads?