Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What happens if the Reds get a lot worse in 2007?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: What happens if the Reds get a lot worse in 2007?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I think Narron could easily be gone by the ASB, but I think Krivsky will be here till next season regardless.
    Don't tease me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

1) Adam Dunn has a .900+ OPS, and some fans complain about his batting average, his batting average w/RISP, his strikeouts, and his salary.
    2) Edwin Encarnacion has an .850+ OPS, and some fans complain that he isn't a dependable middle of the order bat.
    3) Various Reds broadcasters, including Marty, Thom, and George Grande credit Manos de oro with winning over 10 games with his late-inning defense.
    4) Jerry Narron is fired. At the press conference announcing the hiring of new Manager A, Wayne and Bob sit there smiling as new Manager A talks about how the team's future success depends on veteran leadership, players knowing how to win, and players playing the game the right way.
    5) Banana phone callers accuse the Reds of being lousy because they don't have Pete Rose on their team.

Last edited by Cyclone792; 01-07-2007 at 06:06 PM.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

1. Adam Dunn will still have been here.
    2. Narron is still here.
    3. Krivsky is still here.
    4. Moeller will start more than 20 games.
    5. Pedro Astacio will be brung in and start more than once.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

1. Harang and or Arroyo get injured
    2. Alex Gonzalez, #2 hitter
    3. Hatteberg, Conine, Weathers, Cormier and Stanton pull an AARP
    4. Ken Griffey Jr. continues to patrol CF without a lark
    5. Eric Milton gets 30+ starts
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

1. The Reds will decide that platoon splits at 1B, still work.
    2. Jerry Narron will be fired.
    3. The Reds will try to further reduce K's, at the expense of the offense.
    4. Reds Nation will be told the following. We're sorry, but Griffey moving to a corner OF position, Dunn batting third in the order, and Edwin Encarnation at 3B; those experiments just didn't work as planned.
    5. Beats me. I'm all "overally buzzed" in 2007.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I think this team is already looking to 2008 anyway -- notably the arrival of Joey Votto and Homer Bailey as full-time players -- so I don't expect anyone to hit the panic button this year.

As it stands, this team is not being built to compete in 2007. A few moves in the future, prior to spring training, might change that, but as of this instant, I can't imagine anyone with a baseball mind expects anything other than a mild disaster from the Reds this year.
    OK. I can live with that, but why in the name of all that's holy did Robert F. Castillini stand up in front of God and the rest of us and say we were going to compete immediately? Why? Because he's such a good businessman that lying comes naturally?

And as for Votto and Bailey, do not expect them to be our saviors. Kids sometimes project better than they'll actually be (Brandon Claussen says "Hi")
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

I think Narron could easily be gone by the ASB, but I think Krivsky will be here till next season regardless.
    Nah, it'll be the same old story, as in..."well, he didn't have anything to work with so..."

I'm guessing pay raise and extension for Jerry. Same for Krivsky.

At my funeral, they'll be saying, "he always rooted for the Cincinnati Reds. He's an idiot."
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

nothing.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Nah, it'll be the same old story, as in..."well, he didn't have anything to work with so..."

I'm guessing pay raise and extension for Jerry. Same for Krivsky.

At my funeral, they'll be saying, "he always rooted for the Cincinnati Reds. He's an idiot."
    Was Narron's contract extension a single year with a club option for a 2nd?

I wonder if maybe Krivsky is secretly right there with us in terms of how he views this current incantation of the Reds and plans on using Narron's eventual slide with this inferior, aging squad as a "stepping stone" to implementing the youth infusion he is planning from the minor leagues. I'd be cool with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    OK. I can live with that, but why in the name of all that's holy did Robert F. Castillini stand up in front of God and the rest of us and say we were going to compete immediately? Why? Because he's such a good businessman that lying comes naturally?
    At the time, it wasn't an outlandish suggestion. Then, this offseason, the market went nutty and teams spent like sailors with one day in port. When Jeff Weaver is demanding $40 million for a four year deal, it severely impacts the Reds ability to compete.

Not only the Reds, but look at Casty's former squad -- the Cardinals have been priced out of the market for a lot of top talent as well. They're not a cheap franchise, they just have a budget the same as the Reds do. They, like the Reds, are probably going to wait the spending spree out this year and (hopefully) cash in when the market corrects itself.

And as for Votto and Bailey, do not expect them to be our saviors. Kids sometimes project better than they'll actually be (Brandon Claussen says "Hi")
    Brandon Claussen's arm injury that robbed him of all his stuff says "right back 'atcha."

Nobody expects Votto and Bailey to be saivors -- but when you combine Votto, Bailey, and Encarnacion with Harang and Arroyo in his walk year (pitching for a contract), it should form a nice nucleus to rally around in '08.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

I doubt Krivsky loses his job. And he shouldn't IMO. Gotta give a GM more time then that if the owner believes he has a plan. Especially when I look at the situation (mess) they inherited AND if injuries are a contributing factor.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I agree. I believe they've punted 2007 entirely, and possibly 2008.
    They've punted the entire decade.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I wonder if maybe Krivsky is secretly right there with us in terms of how he views this current incantation of the Reds and plans on using Narron's eventual slide with this inferior, aging squad as a "stepping stone" to implementing the youth infusion he is planning from the minor leagues. I'd be cool with that.
    Why must we always assume such Machiavellian undercurrents in all that the Reds do. Maybe Wayne and Bob are genuine in their admiration of Jerry Narron.

I continue to say, had the Internet existed in the fashion it is now during Joe Torre's early tenure as a manager with the Mets, Braves or Cardinals, folks would be herniating over what a lousy manager he is. The article on Torre at Wikipedia has this entry in the part about him coming to the Yankees: Though he had never played or managed in the American League, and the New York City press greeted him with headlines such as "Clueless Joe"

Our "instant society" demands results now whereas history has a way of taking some time to unfold.
    Last edited by redsmetz; 01-08-2007 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    1) Adam Dunn has a .900+ OPS, and some fans complain about his batting average, his batting average w/RISP, his strikeouts, and his salary.
    2) Edwin Encarnacion has an .850+ OPS, and some fans complain that he isn't a dependable middle of the order bat.
    3) Various Reds broadcasters, including Marty, Thom, and George Grande credit Manos de oro with winning over 10 games with his late-inning defense.
    4) Jerry Narron is fired. At the press conference announcing the hiring of new Manager A, Wayne and Bob sit there smiling as new Manager A talks about how the team's future success depends on veteran leadership, players knowing how to win, and players playing the game the right way.
    5) Banana phone callers accuse the Reds of being lousy because they don't have Pete Rose on their team.

Sadly, I can see each of those things happening.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

No. His first contract was for one year, with a mutual option. Signed for 2006 and the option was for 2007. The extension picked up the 2007 option and included another year, 2008. He's now signed through the 2008 season.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Turn Off Ads?