Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What will happen in Glendale January 8th?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Florida wins a close one (6 pts. or less)

9 10.34%
  • Florida wins comfortably (7 pts. or more)

25 28.74%
  • Ohio State wins a close one

11 12.64%
  • Ohio State wins comfortably

36 41.38%
  • Buckeyes obliterate Gators (would have rather seen an OSU/Michigan rematch)

6 6.90%
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: What's your prediction for the National Championship game?

Re: What's your prediction for the National Championship game?

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Unfortunately, I have had plenty of experience with many of the Gator faithful over the years and what I will tell you is get used to it. IMO, there's not a fanbase out there that has such a large number of fans who choose to win without class. My experience has been that they will not only rub your nose in your loss til it bleeds, but will remind you of all your shortcomings the entire time. It's been that way the entire thirty years I've been around them. Another title will only make them even more smug.
    How true...I was at the game and as many can probably gather from my posts, a huge Buckeye fan. There were quite a few classy fans that came up to me and my friends as they were leaving (we stayed and watched the celebration and OSU post game press conference on the scoreboard). Many offered us a hand shake and regrets in a classy way.

However, there were far too many Gator fans that found it necessary to shove it in our faces walking back to the car, in the car leaving, and the next morning at the airport. There was the fan outside the stadium that came up to me and yelled "It must suck!!!" at the top of her lungs in my face, there was the two fans that came up and started harassing my friends and I when walking back to the car, there was the fan that saw us in the car and gave us a full moon, the many fans that gave us hearty "F the Buckeyes" in our faces, and the cherry on top was the lady that walked over to where people were waiting to board our flight back (all quiet Bucks fans including quite a few player parents) and she started singing the Gator cheering song at the top of her lungs (in the airport!). Unfortunately, as has been the case of opponent fans judging OSU fans, the few will be remembered that were idiots. Those idiots totally ruined my perception of Gator fans...one that was 100% positive as I had nothing but good experiences talking to fans before the game. It seemed to me that once they won, every Gator fan I talked to suddenly found it necessary to shove it down my throat. Keep in mind myself and 4 other friends had already gotten together about how we would respond to what we anticipated to be a crowd of idiots (we were right). We all stuck together, said nothing to anyone that heckled us, and kept looking ahead. In short, we did nothing to provoke them.

I'll share more experiences from the game as they come up in discussion (crunched for time right now). In short, it was an amazing experience (despite the game itself) and one that I would recommend to anyone if they are given the chance. It's very rare to get to witness a game that hyped in person and all of the events leading up to the game were fun and unbelievable. I'll mostly remember the plane ride from Dallas to Phoenix (at least 80% of the entire flight was wearing Bucks clothing), the pep rally Sunday afternoon (37,000 Bucks fans showed up), walking around visiting the Bucks hotel (nicest I have ever seen anywhere, unbelievable), Mill Ave resembling High St on Sunday (Buckeye fans everywhere) and doing the stadium O-H-I-O chant before the game in the stadium. That and the buzz in the stadium were unbelievable, spine tingling moments that topped even the Michigan game from 2 months ago. I'll definately try to put up a few of my many pictures if I get more time later.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    However, there were far too many Gator fans that found it necessary to shove it in our faces walking back to the car, in the car leaving, and the next morning at the airport.
    As a Buckeye fan I have seen my share of OSU fans act the same way. I just don't get yelling at a complete stranger or someone's kids and/or wife etc. I have no doubts that Buckeye fans were doing a bit of woofing after Ginn's runback either.

When you have 500,000 fans of a team, if 2% of them are complete morons thats 10,000 idiots. I have yet to run into a fanbase of any winning team that didn't have their share of dolts.

GL

I'm sorry that some of the gator fans acted like asses, but I really think that comes with the territory.

All sports teams of all kinds have fans that say disrespectful things to rivals, and get out of control after a big win.

I'm just happy we didn't burn down Gainesville.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    As a Buckeye fan I have seen my share of OSU fans act the same way. I just don't get yelling at a complete stranger or someone's kids and/or wife etc. I have no doubts that Buckeye fans were doing a bit of woofing after Ginn's runback either.

When you have 500,000 fans of a team, if 2% of them are complete morons thats 10,000 idiots. I have yet to run into a fanbase of any winning team that didn't have their share of dolts.

GL

That was very well said. There are idiots among us people. That idiocy index increases amongst fanatic sports fans. Alcohol and obsession increases the idiocy index tenfold.

I think 2-3% is a reasonable assumption...idiots who mock the other team after victory, find it necessary to taunt the other teams fans leaving the stadium, use profane words in front of their children.

I LOVE sports but I think, at times, fans are too caught up in their teams.
    VBR IS LIVING IN CINCINNATI...I FEEL GOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    I'm sorry that some of the gator fans acted like asses, but I really think that comes with the territory.

All sports teams of all kinds have fans that say disrespectful things to rivals, and get out of control after a big win.

I'm just happy we didn't burn down Gainesville.
    Ahh, but in a show of partnership by the schools, a trash dumpster in the lot outside Univ of Phoenix Stadium was burning. I said it looked like Columbus as I enjoyed watching fire crews attempt to put it out with fellow OSU and Gator fans. One of the people parked near the dumpster said they saw a person (didn't know affiliation) pour lighter fluid into the dumpster before tossing in a cigarette.

Now that I have a few minutes, here are some of my other random observations from my game experience:

- The award for most random moment goes to seeing Eric Haw at a Denney's location at 3 am in the morning after the game. My friend who got us the free tickets is an intern on the OSU staff. He knew Eric from his time with the team so they talked for a little while. As you may recall Haw transferred down to Jacksonville St after being arrested in the spring. We also saw a few Florida Gator players at this Denney's as well. Quite the happening place.

- The award for stupidest fan goes to the nut at the OSU hotel after the game. We picked up my friend around 1 am after the game and while walking around the grounds with him saw a middle aged man attempting to get autographs from OSU players. Seriously, I don't care how much he can sell them for or how much they mean, but that takes some major guts to go to the losing team's hotel and bug players. He didn't seem to notice when we watched Craig Krenzel walk by him (he was just looking for guys in the team's warm ups) .

- Observations on the actual game...our line didn't show up so Smith had very little time. Leak played an amazing game but most of the game had all the time in the world to make decisions. This game was a case of Florida playing their game plan to perfection and OSU playing well below what they are capable. Florida deserved to win and no doubt showed they were the best team in the nation. I think if OSU plays its best game it would have been really, really close. I wish for the sake of the game we could have seen that, could have been a classic.

- Another game observation, from my perspective OSU lost the game when Tress went for it on 4th down. I think if OSU gets that first down they could have used it as a spring board to get back in the game. It just seemed like that play really took the life out of the OSU fans and players. That was the moment the decidedly OSU crowd began to weaken and more Gator fans got loud.

- While Ginn being hurt had some effect on the game, it wasn't much. I asked my friend if the offense had put in any trick plays for Ginn and he said Tress tried a package in practice with Ginn playing quarterback. He said the defense stopped all 5 plays they tried every time so the package was put away and was not going to be used.

- Our tickets were in the block given to football player parents. I'd say less than half of the parents stayed until the end of the game. People were leaving the game at the beginning of the third quarter. I won't name any names but some of the departures shocked me to be honest. My parents would never leave one of my high school baseball games no matter the score.

- The amount of merchandise bought by OSU fans was staggering. There were several tents set up on Mill Ave in Tempe selling merchandise for both teams and when we visited Sunday afternoon quite a bit of the OSU stuff was already gone. We actually bought the last two large coffee mugs they had. Apparently, relating to t-shirts, people don't visit Columbus too often because the shirt prices in Columbus were at least half of what they were out there for similar items.

- I might be in the minority here, but I have one other controversial game comment. I noticed Leak and Wynn both stayed in the game all the way until the end. I know they're seniors but why would Urban not pull his entire starting unit for at least the last series when they were on OSU's side of the field and had the huge lead. It seemed to me like that was a smack in the face. Call a timeout and bring your guys out to let the crowd give them a standing ovation. Leak actually passed for a first down on the drive when the game was already in the bag. It's not like UF didn't have a capable back up in Tebow to finish the game. Seemed a little unprofessional to me.

You're always going to find obnoxious fans regardless of what team you follow. Especially after a game where there is drinking and partying going on. They are everywhere and inescapable.

But my earlier post was not in reference to fans, but to players who, when being interviewed post-game (or the next day) by media sports outlets, come out and say classless things about their opponent - like a Joey Porter. I personally think it's uncalled for. Especially at the college level where it could be a reflection (and maybe even unfairly) on the program/coaching staff as a whole. In the pros you can't control it too much. IMO, more is expected, as far as conduct goes, from the player(s) then an obnoxious fan(s).
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Anthony Gonzalez announced today he is leaving school early to go the NFL.

Antonio Pittman thinks there should be a split NC...all I can say is wow.

Pittman said - We had a great year. Everybody seen how we started out, how we finished. You know, just the one loss don't take away from a great team. If you want to add up all the numbers, Florida had one loss, too. So I think it should be a split for the national championship, honestly.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Antonio Pittman thinks there should be a split NC...all I can say is wow.

Pittman said - We had a great year. Everybody seen how we started out, how we finished. You know, just the one loss don't take away from a great team. If you want to add up all the numbers, Florida had one loss, too. So I think it should be a split for the national championship, honestly.
    Boneheaded statement. Smacks of Michael Hart's "If we played them again I guarantee there'd be a different outcome" line. But it's not as bad as Matt Leinart's "We're the better team" line immediately following the loss to Texas.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Was he being serious, or just taking a shot at Michigan on his way out?
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

You have to admire his belief in his team, however misguided. I have to say, I'm surprised that has been the only time I've heard that from OSU fans and/or players. And he does have a point. As long as there isn't a playoff system, any team who has 1 loss or is undefeated like Boise St. has a claim on the championship.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

In the old days the media sometimes referred to the "mythical" college football national championship. Until a playoff system is implemented, "mythical" still arguably applies.
    Everytime I see this thread's title, I wish my prediction for the national championship game had been the same prediction Mr. T's character "Clubber Lang" made for his first fight with "Rocky Balboa" in "Rocky III": "pain."
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    Boneheaded statement. Smacks of Michael Hart's "If we played them again I guarantee there'd be a different outcome" line. But it's not as bad as Matt Leinart's "We're the better team" line immediately following the loss to Texas.
    While both were bad, Pittman's team got crushed...Leinart lost by 3 points in one of the greatest games of all time, so I don't see how you could say Leinart's was worse.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?