Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petrino to become new Falcons coach

Petrino to become new Falcons coach

Louisville's Bob Petrino is in contract negotations to become the new Falcons head coach. The deal may be announced as soon as tomorrow.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2723700

ATLANTA -- Louisville coach Bob Petrino is the choice of the Atlanta Falcons to succeed Jim Mora as head coach, several league sources confirmed Sunday night, and the team is in contract negotiations aimed at securing a contract agreement that could lead to a Monday announcement of his hiring.

Sources stressed that Petrino, 45, has yet to accept the position, but that the two sides were moving toward an agreement.

The highly-regarded Petrino is known for his creative offensive designs and the priority of Falcons' brass is to land a head coach capable of getting the most from quarterback Michael Vick's talents.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Petrino in negotations to become new Falcons coach

I think Vick, while undeniably gifted athletically, is never going to be what is expected of him. Were I a coach looking to jump to the NFL, this is not a destination I would seek for my first stop.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

He accepted, per ESPN. 5 years, $24MM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I think Vick, while undeniably gifted athletically, is never going to be what is expected of him. Were I a coach looking to jump to the NFL, this is not a destination I would seek for my first stop.
    Exactly. But no matter--Petrino is nothing more than a mini-version of Nick Saban.

Give him a few years to simmer with those 20 hour NFL days, and he'll be calling Auburn to see if they still have a man-crush on him.

Happiest man on the planet tonight: Rick Pitino

Porkchop Sandwiches

Re: Petrino to become new Falcons coach

This sucks for Big East football, and would seem to kill the Cards' chances at becoming a powerhouse. Good for UC football though!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

To me all this says is that Brian Brohm is now going to declare for the draft, and should be the first quarterback taken.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Not unless he was given complete control of the roster to bring in a QB that fits the type of offense he wants to run.

It's an interesting quandry that McKay and the Falcons have -- on one hand, Micheal Vick is probably never going to reach the level of consistent play necessary for him to lead Atlanta to a championship. He's a lot like Kordell Stewart in that regard -- capable of looking fantastic for stretches at a time, but ultimately too up and down to be useful. Stewart, like Vick, almost rode a hot stretch to the Super Bowl, but didn't have what it took when he had to beat a superior defense in the playoffs.

On the other hand, Vick sells tickets (and lots of them) for the Falcons. He is the face of the franchise and a guy like Arthur Blank who makes a living on things like "brand awareness" would be hard pressed to give him his walking papers without something else coming in behind him.

If Petrino can jettison Vick, it might be a good spot for him to land. If he's stuck with Vick for his tenure in ATL, I don't expect him to be their coach for much longer than 3 years.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    To me all this says is that Brian Brohm is now going to declare for the draft, and should be the first quarterback taken.
    Russell and Quinn will be drafted ahead of Brohm. As well, depending on how Troy Smith does at the combines he could also go ahead of Brohm.

Russell and Smith are going to benefit big time from how well Vince Young did this season when everyone thought it would take 3+ years before he contributed.

The University of Kentucky says....thank-you! I say thank-you!

The owner said per ESPN that Petrino would decide Vicks future with the Falcons. Look for a trade, He has NFL experience, former OC of the Jags in 2001. So he knows what he's getting himself into.

I'd take Brohm over any QB. He's a future Manning, not Eli.
    Last edited by George Foster; 01-08-2007 at 12:58 AM.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

I think Atlanta keeps Vick for another year to see if they can make any improvements to Vick's game.

I say he's back in the college ranks in 3 years tops.
    Go Gators!

John L Smith anyone?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Vick will not be the Falcons starting QB next season. Matt Schaub will hold that title.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I say he's back in the college ranks in 3 years tops.
    how about it playing out like this :

petrino fired from atl after 4 seasons.
    rich brooks says with program now on move....he is retiring.
    petrino accepts job as next UK coach
    UK fans say " take that rick p" !

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    how about it playing out like this :

petrino fired from atl after 4 seasons.
    rich brooks says with program now on move....he is retiring.
    petrino accepts job as next UK coach
    UK fans say " take that rick p" !
    Nice! I like it!

Turn Off Ads?