Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are we really out of trading chips?

Re: Are we really out of trading chips?

Plenty of guys to trade. As previously mentioned Freel is the top guy to trade and there are minor leaguers with value and a number of guys with value in the organization even beyond the top 3. There are a number fo roles on the roster that any team needs and trades of excess for excess occur all the time without "star" players being included.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Plenty of guys to trade. As previously mentioned Freel is the top guy to trade and there are minor leaguers with value and a number of guys with value in the organization even beyond the top 3. There are a number fo roles on the roster that any team needs and trades of excess for excess occur all the time without "star" players being included.
    Outside of Freel, where do the Reds have excess? I know they have more than their share of ancient, mediocre relievers, but the market for those guys usually doesn't heat up until the trade deadline.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    I remember listening to one of ESPN's baseball hotshots on the radio last year and he was talking about how hard it was to get good relief pitching. It might explain the Reds acquiring so many.
    And wouldn't it be dandy if he acquired a reliever not eligible for the seniors discount at IHOP?
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Outside of Freel, where do the Reds have excess? I know they have more than their share of ancient, mediocre relievers, but the market for those guys usually doesn't heat up until the trade deadline.
    Yes and that is when they will pay off. Teams will be desperate enough to trade for the relievers they so badly need. I wouldn't call any of the Reds relievers mediocre. Fair to very good? Yes. Older than Moses? Yes. But what is going to happen when the Yankees come calling in July needing 1 or 2 good bullpen arms? The Reds trade what they don't need for something they do need like minor league talent or a corner OF.

Problem is Stanton WAS good. Cormier was good LAST YEAR, but that's about it. Weathers is solid. But really all these guys have very limited value, and their age brings along health issues.

I'd have preferred to go the Marlins youth route.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    There are several players to trade, but they'd have to change the face of the roster to trade parts to bring back real assets ready for MLB duty in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    There are several players to trade, but they'd have to change the face of the roster to trade parts to bring back real assets ready for MLB duty in return.
    Spare parts for spare parts. Freel is obviously the main bait but a package of pen guys (especially LH), young guys, etc.

I would welcome a spare part or two from a team like the Cubs who have spent their way into having decent young players with no place to play.

Turn Off Ads?