Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would Pete Rose...

Re: Would Pete Rose...

He would be reviled because he did not handle the career of Kalvoski Daniels optimally.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    ...be as revered if he had played for the Dodgers in the 70's?

Would his brand of "give it your all" baseball still be respected by the fans in Cincy who generally admire and respond to hard-charging baseball players?

Or would he be dispised because he was a Dodger thus the exact same Pete Rose would be loathed instead of deified.
    I think he would be respected, to a point. But Cincy fans always love their own (The Reds) more. One of the greatest catches I ever saw was David Wright's dive into the stands to catch that foul ball. I mentioned it to a good friend (TRF actually) and he immediately named off several by Ryan Freel that he thought were better and he didn't think half a second about it. I admire that kind of loyalty. He was wrong but I admire that.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I agree with that 100%. I do have a question for you. Do you remember Dykstra for being a met or a Philly? I remember him more as a Philly.
    Philly, but the baseball card I had of him was as a Met. Drove past one of his carwashes when I was in SoCal a couple summers ago.

If Rose were still born and raised in Cincinnati, and the Reds passed on him, the answer to the question is no. He wouldn't have been as beloved as a Dodger because he never would have been a Dodger.

The only reason he was drafted by the Reds was as a favor to a family member who was a scout. Otherwise, he likely doesn't get a sniff of the Major Leagues.

Right man. Right place. Right circumstances. Right time.

The story simply doesn't work anywhere else.
    Dan Scott, Director of Broadcasting
    Play-By-Play Voice
    Furman University Athletics
    Host of The Dan Scott Show, Facebook Live/Periscope
    Greenville/Clemson, SC

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by writerdan33 View Post
    Right man. Right place. Right circumstances. Right time. The story simply doesn't work anywhere else.
    Unfortuantely there was a "sad ending to a sorry episode" to make us look at the story in a different light.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Unfortuantely there was a "sad ending to a sorry episode" to make us look at the story in a different light.
    True, but I was only answering the originial question - Would Pete have been as revered if he were a Dodger?

It seems the thread got off track a bit from the original intent.
    Dan Scott, Director of Broadcasting
    Play-By-Play Voice
    Furman University Athletics
    Host of The Dan Scott Show, Facebook Live/Periscope
    Greenville/Clemson, SC

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by writerdan33 View Post
    True, but I was only answering the originial question - Would Pete have been as revered if he were a Dodger?

It seems the thread got off track a bit from the original intent.
    Yeah, you're right about that and I agree with what you are saying. I think most kids growing up would want a scenario similar to Pete's. Playing in front of your family and friends. Wearing the uniform of the team you grew up idolizing. Ohh yeah and being a really good player on tp of that.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?