Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who ranks higher on a list of all-time greats: Clemens or Gibson?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bob Gibson

37 46.84%
  • Roger Clemens

42 53.16%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is the greater pitcher: Clemens or Gibson?

Who is the greater pitcher: Clemens or Gibson?

This grew out of a discussion and poll on another forum on which I post. I wanted to get a more well-rounded view of how fans of other teams would vote. So, who was better: Clemens or Bob Gibson?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Who is the greater pitcher: Clemens or Gibson?

I don't know a whole lot about Gibson, just the general.

However, I'd say that given the era that Clemens pitched in and dominated in would give him the edge.

Gibson, theres too many questions surronding Clemens. Steriods etc.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

I'm going to have to go with Clemens. His stats appear to be a touch better than Gibson's.

Clemens

http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/clemero02.shtml

Gibson

http://www.baseball-reference.com/g/gibsobo01.shtml
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    Gibson, theres too many questions surronding Clemens. Steriods etc.
    That argument is one of my biggest pet peeves....wild speculation....

My vote has to go to Bob Gibson. Gibson was so dominate that the mound had to be lowered to give the batters a chance. I have seen Roger Clemens pitch in person three times. His record is 0-3. Maybe I'm just a jinx. The most dominate pitchers (in my opinion) were/are Bob Gibson, Sandy Koufax, JR Richards, Steve Carlton & Randy Johnson. Call me "Old School".
    Last edited by chettt; 01-06-2007 at 02:54 PM.

Gibson.

Hands down Clemens. Clemens is pitching in an era where offensive is the king. Also if I am not mistaken the mound was higher in Gibsons day which was a big advantage to the pitcher.

Put Clemens in the 1960's and they would have renamed the Cy Young award after him.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    That argument is one of my biggest pet peeves....wild speculation....
    It might be wild speculation at this point, but it also might be true. All things equal, I go with The Rocket.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Hands down Clemens. Clemens is pitching in an era where offensive is the king. Also if I am not mistaken the mound was higher in Gibsons day which was a big advantage to the pitcher.

Put Clemens in the 1960's and they would have renamed the Cy Young award after him.

You have a great point. I suggested on here a few months ago that maybe the great pitchers of the 60s were great mainly because of the higher mound and the larger strike zone. Notice that a lot of them were not so great before the 60s and faltered after the 60s. Of course that could be because they were in their primes dring the 60s. That's a great argument for Clemens. He did what he has done in a hitters era.

However, I go with Gibson because of his postseason record. Granted, Gibson has a smaller sample size to work with but Clemens has not always been dependable during the post season for whatever reason.
    Last edited by Chip R; 01-06-2007 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Meant to type larger instead of smaller
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Lost in the fable of Bob Gibson is that he pitched two lackluster game sevens in the World Series. He won one and lost the other. Great pitcher, one of the best in history, but hardly an automatic win.

Clemens has the 8th-best career ERA+, just a hair behind Walter Johnson (Pedro Martinez absolutely owns that particular list). Gibson's tied for 42nd with an interesting cast of characters including Tom Seaver, Sparky Lyle, Kevin Brown, Curt Schilling and Barry Zito.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

If your talking about who had the better baseball career, I think you have to look at the length of clemens career and give the nod to the big guy.

If your playing real baseball game that you want to win without a DH, the choice is easy
    You want Gibson at the plate.
    You want Gibson in your clubhouse.
    The big white guy might be a slightly better pitcher, but Gibbie could pitch a little too.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

M2, Pedro Martinez in his prime was the greatest pitcher in the history of baseball if you ask me. He was absolutely disgustingly better than everyone else for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    M2, Pedro Martinez in his prime was the greatest pitcher in the history of baseball if you ask me. He was absolutely disgustingly better than everyone else for a while.
    I tend to agree.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yep. I can't argue with this.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?