Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Monopolizing of MLB's Extra Innings Package

Re: The Monopolizing of MLB's Extra Innings Package

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz View Post
    Yep. Although, it's not as short-sighted as it might seem. Due to the CBA, all revenues from such digital sources as MLB.TV is split evenly among the 30 teams. And with cutting out the cable providers, there's more of the pie to spread among the teams.

Also, the blackout rules are in the process of being redetermined. There's still much hope it can get through legal before opening day.
    any idea what could be changing?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

I have heard baseball wants to do this because they are not happy with the number of people that have signed up for the package through the cable companies and they want the guaranteed money Directv would pay for exclusive rights. What baseball doesn't get is if they just got rid of the stupid blackout rules they would get the subscribers they want. There are a lot of people that won't sign up because they are blacked out of the team they want to see or several different teams. I do subscribe to EI through cable but I still hate the blackout rules. I am blacked on 3 different teams. 2 of which we don't get their games on TV and we live several hours away from.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    I have heard baseball wants to do this because they are not happy with the number of people that have signed up for the package through the cable companies and they want the guaranteed money Directv would pay for exclusive rights. What baseball doesn't get is if they just got rid of the stupid blackout rules they would get the subscribers they want. There are a lot of people that won't sign up because they are blacked out of the team they want to see or several different teams. I do subscribe to EI through cable but I still hate the blackout rules. I am blacked on 3 different teams. 2 of which we don't get their games on TV and we live several hours away from.
    I always thought they should let fans buy a subscription to watch the games of their favorite team, but then I realized that there would be a lot of squabbling if the Yankees were getting a ton of subscribers and still had to split the EI revenue evenly. I would agree that the blackout rules probably hinder the marketability of the EI package.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

OK this would royally suck for me. I just got Dish HD and had to sign an 18 month contract. The only reason I even have Dish to begin with was it was cheaper and I wanted Extra Innings.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

They wheeled a 3x4 steel safe into the clubhouse Sunday morning to store the players' valuables. It took four guys to lift it off a dolly and onto a table.

Said pitcher Kent Mercker: "What's that, Junior Griffey's wallet?"

This would royally piss me off and you can bet I won't switch to Direct TV to get it. F them.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Major League Baseball is not your friend.

And one more thing. I discourage everyone from purchasing MLB TV or conducting any business whatsoever with MLB Advanced Media. As I've discussed on this board before, once they get your credit card number they'll autorenew you 'till the cows come home.

And when they do, good luck getting a human being on the telephone.
    In the interest of fairness, I've subscribed and cancelled twice with no trouble. Although I have heard of stories like CC's in addition of his own.

There is a large tree in our backyard that prohibits us from getting Direct TV--and I know for a fact that we are far from alone in this predicament. So, if MLB did this, I'd be S.O.L. out here.

But it wouldn't surprise me at all. MLB has become remarkably adept at putting forth idea after idea to alienate fans.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    There is a large tree in our backyard that prohibits us from getting Direct TV--and I know for a fact that we are far from alone in this predicament. So, if MLB did this, I'd be S.O.L. out here.

What, you can't cut down your tree?

But it wouldn't surprise me at all. MLB has become remarkably adept at putting forth idea after idea to alienate fans.

Just part of their anti-marketing program.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    In the interest of fairness, I've subscribed and cancelled twice with no trouble. Although I have heard of stories like CC's in addition of his own.
    It was a widespread problem about a year ago. I posted links to various discussion forums and blogs about it last summer.

However, a member of this board who works for MLB assured me that they've really cleaned things up since then. Maybe they have.

To clarify, they autorenewed my credit card in '06. When I realized that they had done so, I called and asked for a refund (after spending hours and hours and hours on hold).

The person on the phone said he'd look into it, but couldn't promise anything, even though I had never used the service in '06.

Once I heard that I got on the phone with my credit card company, which did an investigation and then reversed the charges.
    Stick to your guns.

If you were a MLB.tv subscriber prior to this year and you did not renewal. You may be able to sign up for MLB.tv for 56.99 today:

http://slickdeals.net/f/6020884-MLB-...of-the-season?

12. Likes:

dougdirt (05-10-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Major League Baseball is not your friend.

And one more thing. I discourage everyone from purchasing MLB TV or conducting any business whatsoever with MLB Advanced Media. As I've discussed on this board before, once they get your credit card number they'll autorenew you 'till the cows come home.

And when they do, good luck getting a human being on the telephone.

Sorry to hear that. I had a different experience though. After the season ended (2 years ago) I cancelled my mlb audio account. Went through, no muss, no fuss.

Chalk another one up for cancelling cable across the board.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I had a different experience though. After the season ended (2 years ago) I cancelled my mlb audio account. Went through, no muss, no fuss.
    I canceled my audio version one year via the phone without a problem either. I think they are better than they used to be to find someone to actually talk to.
    They do say in their terms and conditions that it will auto renew unless you tell them not to that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    All but the most recent three posts are from 6 years ago....

17. Likes:

WrongVerb (05-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Chalk another one up for cancelling cable across the board.
    I'm coming closer and closer to pulling the plug on satellite. Me or my wife don't watch that much TV anymore. In fact I just downgraded my package the other night. It's probably the first step towards no satellite or cable.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?