Thread: The Monopolizing of MLB's Extra Innings Package

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Monopolizing of MLB's Extra Innings Package

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...ea3ff91801e2fe

The Ledger Domain
    The Monopolizing of MLB's Extra Innings Package

by Maury Brown

Last summer, I wrote in Blackout Blues how MLB’s arcane territorial television broadcast system restricts consumer options for those that wish to see MLB games out-of-market through MLB.com or MLB Extra Innings. Now, MLB may be creating even more restraints on consumers.

John Orerand and Eric Fisher of the Sports Business Journal have reported that MLB is in advanced talks with DirecTV to make the satellite television company the exclusive provider of MLB Extra Innings. While Extra Innings was initially only offered on DirecTV in 1996, the package has been available on cable since 2001, and on Dish Network since 2004.

If the deal is approved, it is sure to raise the ire of cable interests like Comcast. In fact, the move would seem to be a game of high-stakes poker for MLB, considering that members of Congress and the NFL have been sparring over the latter's decision to use DirecTV as the exclusive provider of the Sunday Ticket package.

In early December, Senator Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) introduced a bill that would repeal the NFL's antitrust exemption under the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961. Currently, the NFL negotiates the broadcast rights for all of its 32 teams. Specter’s bill would repeal that ability and set up a scenario in which teams would negotiate television deals separately. "As I look at what the NFL is doing today with the NFL channel with the DirecTV ... a lot of people, including myself, would like to be able to have that ticket," Specter said. How Specter factors into the MLB deal with DirecTV has more to do with just his interest in protecting consumers. As noted, Specter is a senator from Pennsylvania. Comcast is headquartered in Philadelphia, and owns In Demand, the company that provides MLB Extra Innings on cable.

Specter's ability to strike fear in the NFL or MLB has lessened since November. Specter was the Senate Judiciary Chairman, but with control of Congress shifting to the Democrats this month, Senator Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) takes control as chairman of the committee. While Specter is no longer chair, however, he still wields considerable power in Congress, and Leahy hasn't exactly been in MLB’s corner in the past. Leahy helped narrow the scope of baseball's antitrust exemption during the 2002 Congressional hearings on the exemption, saying in his opening statement at the time,

Between the narrowness of the way the Supreme Court had perpetuated baseball’s antitrust exemption-- only as it applied to labor-management relations-- and our work in the Congress, in which we struck the last remaining remnant of the judicially-created exception to the applicability of the antitrust laws, it seems that there is no longer any basis to contend that a general, free-floating baseball antitrust exemption somehow continues to exist.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Re: The Monopolizing of MLB's Extra Innings Package

Oh boy. If this even comes close to being discussed, there are going to be tons of P.Oed fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Oh boy. If this even comes close to being discussed, there are going to be tons of P.Oed fans.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It boils my blood just thinking about it.

I'm not kidding, just reading the first part of that article made me extremely angry.

I know a couple of people that gave up on MLB years ago, and slowly I am starting to see why. I love this game, but MLB makes it VERY DIFFICULT to be a fan.

5. Likes:

remdog (05-10-2013)

with only 750K of subscribers I can't imagine why it would be worth much a premium to Directv. I mean it would hard to imagine it could pull more than 100K in new subscribers.

I have gotten MLB EI in the past but with the Reds carrying 145 games I was going to cancel for this season.

If this comes to pass it's possible I may become mad enough to hulk-out and launch an attack on New York City. Hope Spiderman or the X-men or someone is be strong enough to calm me down before I do too much damage.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

MLB's probably thinking this move would drive more customers to MLB.TV and that's revenue they don't have to share with a provider. I don't think the average fan would consider MLB.TV to be a good alternative to watching MLBEI on cable. (I do, but I'm tech-savvy and a cheapskate. )

I guess a short-sighted, ham-handed approach to this would be fitting, considering that's the kind of thinking that probably led to the current blackout rules.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    MLB's probably thinking this move would drive more customers to MLB.TV and that's revenue they don't have to share with a provider. I don't think the average fan would consider MLB.TV to be a good alternative to watching MLBEI on cable. (I do, but I'm tech-savvy and a cheapskate. )

I guess a short-sighted, ham-handed approach to this would be fitting, considering that's the kind of thinking that probably led to the current blackout rules.
    Yep. Although, it's not as short-sighted as it might seem. Due to the CBA, all revenues from such digital sources as MLB.TV is split evenly among the 30 teams. And with cutting out the cable providers, there's more of the pie to spread among the teams.

Also, the blackout rules are in the process of being redetermined. There's still much hope it can get through legal before opening day.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz View Post
    Yep. Although, it's not as short-sighted as it might seem. Due to the CBA, all revenues from such digital sources as MLB.TV is split evenly among the 30 teams. And with cutting out the cable providers, there's more of the pie to spread among the teams.

Also, the blackout rules are in the process of being redetermined. There's still much hope it can get through legal before opening day.
    Seems logical, but is it wise? I have DirectTV, so it won't affect me much, but it just seems silly to restrict such a marketable item to a limited market, especially when not everyone can get satellite TV. If you don't have a clear view to the southwest, you're out of luck even if you want DirectTV. Add to that the noises being made in Congress over the NFL's agreement with DirectTV on Sunday Ticket. MLB isn't exactly on good terms with Congress as it is.

Will this really help create long term increase in revenue?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz View Post

any idea what could be changing?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Major League Baseball is not your friend.

And one more thing. I discourage everyone from purchasing MLB TV or conducting any business whatsoever with MLB Advanced Media. As I've discussed on this board before, once they get your credit card number they'll autorenew you 'till the cows come home.

And when they do, good luck getting a human being on the telephone.
    Last edited by cincinnati chili; 01-09-2007 at 12:10 AM. Reason: addendum
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Is it supposed to be? I thought it was a business.

And one more thing. I discourage everyone from purchasing MLB TV or conducting any business whatsoever with MLB Advanced Media. As I've discussed on this board before, once they get your credit card number they'll autorenew you 'till the cows come home.

Isn't that the M.O. of most online service providers? I've dealt with the same thing trying to get rid of AOL and MSN and it took threats of letters to the state AG to get them to do anything. Why trap people in and force them to remain your customer? How about offering a good service for an affordable price?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

In the interest of fairness, I've subscribed and cancelled twice with no trouble. Although I have heard of stories like CC's in addition of his own.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    In the interest of fairness, I've subscribed and cancelled twice with no trouble. Although I have heard of stories like CC's in addition of his own.
    It was a widespread problem about a year ago. I posted links to various discussion forums and blogs about it last summer.

However, a member of this board who works for MLB assured me that they've really cleaned things up since then. Maybe they have.

To clarify, they autorenewed my credit card in '06. When I realized that they had done so, I called and asked for a refund (after spending hours and hours and hours on hold).

The person on the phone said he'd look into it, but couldn't promise anything, even though I had never used the service in '06.

Once I heard that I got on the phone with my credit card company, which did an investigation and then reversed the charges.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?