Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2007 Inductees

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2007 Inductees

Wire services are reporting:

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five (Kid Creole, Cowboy, Grandmaster Flash, Melle Mel, Mr. Ness, Raheim)

R.E.M. (Bill Berry, Peter Buck, Mike Mills, Michael Stipe)

The Ronettes (Estelle Bennett, Ronnie Spector, Nedra Talley)

Patti Smith

Van Halen (Michael Anthony, Sammy Hagar, Alex Van Halen, Eddie Van Halen, David Lee Roth)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2007 Inductees

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Van Halen (Michael Anthony, Sammy Hagar, Alex Van Halen, Eddie Van Halen, David Lee Roth)
    Ugh. I was with you until I saw Sammy Hagar....

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Well, Sammy was a member.....

If it's true that there's only one way to rock, how likely is it that Sammy Hagar actually knows that way?

Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Well, Sammy was a member.....
    Yep. He became a member at the precise moment I became nauseated by their music. Coincidence?

Sorry, but I no longer had any use for that band after their music became the launching pad for "Pepsi Clear"....

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I didn't mind Sammy so much...of course I'm younger, so the mid 80s into the 90s and into my teen years (mid - late 90s) it was Sammy.

Don't get me wrong they kicked more ass and took more names with David Lee Roth at the helm...

Grandmaster Flash!! Awesome!
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Mas Tequila! I love Sammy! (with or without Van Halen, which I also love).
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Yep. He became a member at the precise moment I became nauseated by their music. Coincidence?

Sorry, but I no longer had any use for that band after their music became the launching pad for "Pepsi Clear"....
    Actually, I think they did much better with the launch of "Crystal Gravy."

"Right NOW!...you can see your meat!"
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I loved Sammy hagar with them as well as Roth. They were two different bands, but both produced some great stuff. I'm in the minority for liking both but 5150 had some killer stuff on it.

REM should issue an apology for the last 11 years of music they've put out. I never thought losing a drummer could make you lose your sense of melody, but good heavens, the last albums (partially with New Adventures in Hi-Fi but mostly starting with Up) have been almost unlistenable.

Each has one or two good songs and then you read they were the ones that the band didn't want on the album.

It's one thing to not be commercial, but it's another thing to put out something that you don't want to listen to a second time. Yech.

And speaking of Van Halen, I had no clue that Michael Anthony was out of the band because he is still friends with Sammy Hagar.

I do find Hagar's hawking of his own tequila a bit odd, too. His obsession with the Cabo Wabo thing is a little old. You can't watch an interview without him plugging it. He's going to be the Karl Malden of rock stars.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Grandmaster Flash is in, yet KISS still isn't. Yeah, that makes sense. Let me know when that place gets serious, I'd like to visit it when it does.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Grandmaster Flash - I second vp's response, awesome!

R.E.M. - Another great choice. But whatever happened to them after they released the "Green" album? There seems to be a blank spot in my mind when I think of them after that. Did they break up or something? (Out of Time and subsequent albums NEVER HAPPENED).

The Ronettes - I think Eddie Money deserves an assist on this one. I don't know if I would have ever heard of Ronnie Spector or the Ronettes if it weren't for Mr. Money's "Take Me Home Tonight."

Patti Smith - Rather appropriate that Michael Stipe goes in with the idol of his youth. Her music was much more influential than successful. I wonder how this bodes for later alternative groups who were way more influential than they were successful (Pixies, anyone?).

Van Halen - Definitely deserves to go in with David Lee Roth. I've always enjoyed Sammy Hagar on his own more than with Van Halen. The fun part should be seeing who actually shows up for the ceremony. Do you get the Van Halen brothers with a couple of fill ins, or do you get David Lee Roth, Sammy Hagar, and Michael Anthony forming their own band and having people like Joe Satriani and Tommy Lee sit in for their induction performance? Or do you see everyone actually burying the hatchet and making nice?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    Grandmaster Flash is in, yet KISS still isn't. Yeah, that makes sense. Let me know when that place gets serious, I'd like to visit it when it does.
    Grandmaster Flash revolutionized scratch-mixing and "The Message" was one of the first rap songs to cross over to mainstream.

KISS should get in. Maybe they're just being punished for those years they took off the make-up.

I'd like to see Devo get some love (don't laugh. I'm serious).

REM should issue an apology for the last 11 years of music they've put out. I never thought losing a drummer could make you lose your sense of melody, but good heavens, the last albums (partially with New Adventures in Hi-Fi but mostly starting with Up) have been almost unlistenable.
    I like em. Granted they are completely different, they just don't rock anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    IAnd speaking of Van Halen, I had no clue that Michael Anthony was out of the band because he is still friends with Sammy Hagar.
    Michael has been replaced by Eddie's son Wolfgang on bass. Be interesting to see who plays for Van Halen on their induction since Dave, Sammy and Michael are not in the band anymore.

Turn Off Ads?