Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2007 Inductees

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2007 Inductees

Yea, I don't really care about who the artist is or the type of music. I just want it to move me in some way.
    There was a time in my life when I was the record store snob. It had to be alternative or I wouldn't admit to liking it. Now, I just like what I like. I downloaded some Buck Owens, Conway and Loretta, and Sonic Youth the other day. I don't think you can get further apart musically, but that's a good thing, I think.

I have some wholly embarrassing things in my IPod. No Joey Lawrence, but close.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I have some wholly embarrassing things in my IPod. No Joey Lawrence, but close.
    There have been several times where I'll be traveling with co-workers and a song will come on my ipod that leaves me thinking, "this guy must think I'm nuts for having _________ on my ipod".

It's really hard to have a conversation with your boss about a complex customer situation when you are thinking to yourself....Dear lord, don't let the Kylie Minoge turn up in the random selection of songs.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 01-09-2007 at 05:51 PM.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

There have been several times where I'll be traveling with co-workers and a song will come on my ipod that leaves me thinking, "this guy must think I'm nuts for having _________ on my ipod".
    The shuffle feature is a double edged sword.

Quote Originally Posted by minus5 View Post
    Exactly but that had less to do with The Ronettes than Phil's over the top production. The Ronettes could have been the Shirelles or the Shangri-Las or the Crystals.
    Even if the Ronettes don't deserve to be in the HOF for their own output, I like to think of their nomination as a group which represents all of the Girl groups, (outside of Motown of course). So their nomination is in some ways an honor to the Shirelles and the Shangri-Las and the Crystals as well. (Not to mention the Cookies and the Chiffons.) Hey this is great music that still holds up.

There's a myth that Rock and Roll went into a serous decline from the time Elvis was inducted until the British invasion and the appearance of Dylan. Nothing could be further from the truth. And the induction of the Ronettes helps dispell that myth. (As if it hadn't been completely buried by Springsteen).

"Bruce was thirteen when his hometown cousin in Freehold, New Jersey, showed him how to make the same music on the guitar that the Beachboys, the Shirells, Gary (US) Bonds, the Chiffons, and his other favorites were making on the radio. That was enough to alter his fantasy of becoming a baseball player to a fantasy of becoming a rock & roll star. "

STUART WERBIN
    (RS 133 - April 26, 1973)
    Last edited by Mutaman; 01-09-2007 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Yes. Did they bring something new and different to the music sceen? Yes. (I'm talking about the 70's/early 80's Kiss).

You may not care for their music but I don't think that takes away from being tallented. If it was so easy, why weren't there more bands following the exact same formula and making the same wild amounts of money? Seems to me if it was so easy, the lure of easy money would have had a strong allure to others to follow the same path.
    Here's where we disagree. Kiss didn't do anything different musically. They took what T-Rex, the New York Dolls, and Iggy were doing, softened it, and made it comercially appealing to suburban white kids who like music without an edge. Why in the world would anyone want to listen to Gene Simmons when they can put on Electric Warrior by T-Rex or Raw Power by the Stooges.

I grant you Kiss was inovative in their live act from what I heard what with the makeup and the smoke and the bells and whistles, and I guess that requires some talent. But I think we're talking about whats good music, not theatrics.

This says it all:

"The group was relatively quiet through the rest of the year, but 2002 started with a bang as Gene Simmons turned in an entertaining and controversial interview on NPR where he criticized the organization and berated host Terry Gross with sexual comments and condescending answers. He was promoting his autobiography at the time, which also caused dissent in the Kiss camp because of the inflammatory remarks made towards Ace Frehley. Frehley was quite angry at the situation, leading to his no-showing of an American Bandstand anniversary show. His place was taken by a wig-wearing Tommy Thayer, but no one was fooled and the band looked especially awful while pretending to play their instruments during the pre-recorded track. The appearance was an embarrassment for the group and for their fans, but Simmons was quick to dismiss the performance as another in a long series of money-oriented decisions."

Stephen Thomas Erlewine & Greg Prato, AMG "Kiss"

Here's where we disagree. Kiss didn't do anything different musically. They took what T-Rex, the New York Dolls, and Iggy were doing, softened it, and made it comercially appealing to suburban white kids who like music without an edge. Why in the world would anyone want to listen to Gene Simmons when they can put on Electric Warrior by T-Rex or Raw Power by the Stooges.
    I lived in Detroit in the 70's and Kiss and Alice were created to come up past 8 Mile and get into our moms and dads pockets.

Lucky for me my sisters friends listened to Electric Warrior and Raw Power.

There are certain acts that the Hall won't touch with a ten-foot pole because they're not "hip" enough. They're afraid that if they honored Chicago or Earth, Wind & Fire, they would somehow be demeaning themselves and all the "cool kids" from school (Springsteen, Bono, etc.) would stop hanging around with them. Kiss probably falls into that group. I was never a Kiss fan, but they were successful and influential, and they could rock. What else should count?

BTW, I'm OK with Ronnie Spector getting in, but I think she got bonus points for being married to Phil. If the Ronettes are in, the Crystals should be also. Darlene Love and LaLa Brooks rule!
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Ugh. I was with you until I saw Sammy Hagar....
    i am the exact opposite, I really don't care for Dave and love Sam.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Where are The Moody Blues?
    I was actually going to start a thread the other day about bands (performers) who aren't in the HOF yet should be. I saw the Moody Blues right after Lennon got murdered. One heck of a great tribute show. The song "Veteran Cosmic Rocker" was written about John.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I never quite "got" Patti Smith.

"Horses" was interesting, but other than that, I never quite understood what the big deal was.

Me neither. I guess it was an acquired taste.

Just like Herb Albert (who is in). I thought it was suppose to be a Rock n Roll HOF? Bill Monroe?
    Last edited by GAC; 01-09-2007 at 07:54 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I believe that one of the reasons Patti Smith made it in is because of her power as a live performer. She is said to be one of the greatest performers rock has ever known. This is even outside of her influence on the NY punk scene in the 70s, which was enormous, and the quality of her songs is good (she's quite original, especially lyrically of course). But she was apparently head and shoulders above most other musicians as a performer.

People are voted into the Hall for varied reasons. That's one reason I kind of like it. Most awards bug me because people are all competing for the same thing (baseball and Oscars are both based on "performance", for example), and yet there's no set criteria: it's still an award of opinion. For the Hall of Fame, at least they're blatant about it being opinion. You can get voted in for any number of things as long as they had an effect on music in some way.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Why in the world would anyone want to listen to Gene Simmons when they can put on Electric Warrior by T-Rex or Raw Power by the Stooges.

This says it all:

"The group was relatively quiet through the rest of the year, but 2002 started with a bang as Gene Simmons turned in an entertaining and controversial interview on NPR where he criticized the organization and berated host Terry Gross with sexual comments and condescending answers.
    Why is it either or? I like to listen to all three of those choices. I don't see it as an A or B type situation.

That Gene may be a total jerk has no bearing on the level of his tallent. A musician has to be a saint to have tallent? If that were true there would be very few musicians left.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 01-09-2007 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I lived in Detroit in the 70's and Kiss and Alice were created to come up past 8 Mile and get into our moms and dads pockets.

Lucky for me my sisters friends listened to Electric Warrior and Raw Power.
    Hey, WOY, I spent my freshman year in college at Southfield Road and Ten Mile (I think) in 1973/74! Just down the road from Southfield Mall!

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Me neither. I guess it was an acquired taste.

Just like Herb Albert (who is in). I thought it was suppose to be a Rock n Roll HOF? Bill Monroe?
    Herb Albert is in for a Lifetime Achievement award in the Non-performer category (with Jerry Moss) for A&M records. Bill Monroe is in as "Early Influence" where it is noted:

Moreover, the tight, rhythmic drive of Monroe's string bands helped clear a path for rock and roll in the Fifties. That connection became clear when a reworked song of Monroe's, "Blue Moon of Kentucky," became part of rock and roll history as the B side of Elvis Presley's first single for Sun Records in 1954. Carl Perkins claimed that the first words Presley spoke to him were, "Do you like Bill Monroe?"

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Hey, WOY, I spent my freshman year in college at Southfield Road and Ten Mile (I think) in 1973/74! Just down the road from Southfield Mall!
    Makes ya yern for the Clock Restaurant

Turn Off Ads?