Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I still hate Tsitouris

Re: I still hate Tsitouris

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Yep, that was one sad day. The stars were lined up for a miracle, and we send out Tsitouris.

I heard that he showed up at the park with his car packed to leave for home.
    Same story I got. Never like the guy. At the time I was 15 and thought he and Johnny Tillotson were the same guy. I trashed all his records. :-)

J/K, of course, but Tsitouris would be our No. 2 starter if he were on the team today. Back in those days we had better pitching. Of course, you can almost pick any era (with some notable exceptions) and find the Reds with better pitching!
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    He drew the short straw. It's a fact.
    That was because Maloney couldn't or wouldn't pitch, right?

I'd like to hear the entire story. We need Maloney to write a tell-all book about the 60's Reds.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post

I'd like to hear the entire story. We need Maloney to write a tell-all book about the 60's Reds.
    Maloney had not pitched in 3 days and felt not ready, he wanted 4 days in case there was a playoff (whoops)

Anyway here's his line from his last game that year on 9-30

Code:
    Cincinnati Reds       IP     H   R  ER  BB  SO  HR
    Maloney               11     3   0   0   2  13   0
    Ellis                  2     0   0   0   0   4   0
    Tsitouris L(9-12)      2.2   2   1   1   1   2   0
    Henry                  0.1   0   0   0   0   0   0
    Totals                16     5   1   1   3  19   0
    Maloney once threw 136 pitches in 1961 in a 5 inning game, I imagine this game there was quite the amount of throws as well.

According to O'Toole Sisler lost control of the clubhouse (Leo and O'Toole got in a fight about a dropped fly ball) and his assertion was if Hutch was there he would have cleared it up.

But Hutch was sick, so sick that in ST they built a lifeguard like tower for him to sit behind HP.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post

Maloney could do it. He is a "master" storyteller.

Senor Votto

Such a sad story

My dumb little story about that game.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=18
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

more analysis should have been out into why the Reds could not score any runs vs. the Pirates in game i and 2 of the series. They wasted two beautifully pitched games

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    more analysis should have been out into why the Reds could not score any runs vs. the Pirates in game i and 2 of the series. They wasted two beautifully pitched games
    Because Robinson and Johnson choked, Johnson had 5 K's in the Wednesday game.... ouch... and here I thought that was only in todays game.

I am still irate
    Talk about holding a grudge! I guess you have to get rid of 52 year old pent up anger somehow.

Oh man those great memories when i was a boy of thirteen. The Reds were everything to me Vada Pinson, Jim Maloney and company. You know i had almost forgotten about Johnny Tsitouris from Monroe N.C. He was sort of like the 1964 version of Steve Parris. Great memories of days gone by.

why did nuxhall pitch to mccovey on JUne 17th blowing a 2-1 lead

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    why did nuxhall pitch to mccovey on JUne 17th blowing a 2-1 lead
    Gotta go with the Lefty matchup, plus Nuxy was one of the few who could strike out Mccovey.

Here's my 2 cents........

Reds' mgr Dick Sisler may have picked Tsitouris over Maloney because Maloney threw 11 innings in his previous start and Maloney would be available to go the next game if there was a tie in the standings. Tsitouris wasn't exactly a Matt Belisle starting the last game of the year with everything on the line. Tsitouris appeared in 7 games in September '64 with a 2.32 ERA. Four of those 7 appearances came as a starting pitcher. In those 4 starts, he went 2-1 with a 1.69 ERA. In his previous start against the Phillies, on Sept 21, he tossed a 6 hit shutout with 8 whiffs.

Tsitouris, who Pete Rose called "Tits", faced the Phillies that Sunday and things went smooth for the first 2 innings. Pitcher Jim Bunning whiffed to open the bottom of the third-inning and then the wheels fell off. A walk, a double, an intentional walk, and a single. The Phillies scored 2 runs out of that and Tsitouris was yanked from the game. Nuxhall replaced Tsitouris. Tony Taylor's single off Nuxie scored Philadelphia's third run of the game. The Reds used a total of 7 pitchers that day. Joey Jay allowed 5 ER on 5 hits in his 2/3 inning of relief work.

I just wanted correct anyone who might of assumed Tits got raked over the coals all day long. IMO, a bigger problem for the Reds that day was facing pitcher Jim Bunning, a premier pitcher in those days.

IMO, a 1964 version of Jim Bunning would be the game's top pitcher in 2007.
    Last edited by LINEDRIVER; 01-09-2007 at 08:53 PM.

Turn Off Ads?