Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DirecTV Adding 100 HD Channels in 2007

Re: DirecTV Adding 100 HD Channels in 2007

If your programming with DishNetwork is with HD you must also pay a HD reciever fee of $5 per month if you lease your equipment. The HD Service is definately a premium service at this point. HDTVs are becoming very affordable, and becoming the standard, at some point in the near future, I expect the difference in the cost of HD service to become a competitive issue between Cable and Satelite. Which is good for us.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I figure that if you can afford a nice HDTV, then you can afford the service. If you can't afford the service, maybe you shouldn't buy the TV. I'm not speaking of you, but in general.
    You make an excellent point. I don't think I'd go so far as to say that one shouldn't buy the TV unless they're planning to pay DTV, though. After all, local HD signals are free. But I agree that it's hypocritical to pay $1500-$2500 for a TV and then cry poverty regarding the satellite bill.

I guess for me, personally, it wouldn't be a matter of affordability as much as principle. I'm one of those people who won't balk at paying a lot of money for durable goods, but hesitate to pay a lot of money for intangibles. I won't claim that that's entirely sensible, or that I won't buy the programming once I have the TV, however.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    My guess is they will be in line with what Dish Network is currently offering.
    DISH HD packages aren't priced separately like Directv. Or if they are, I'm not seeing it on their website. I see packages ranging from $50-$100 per month but those prices are for HD and standard channels combined. It will be nice if Direct moves to something similar once they add all of these channels.

I'm guessing with this many channels they will offer an HD only package and not make people have SD channels as well
    Go Gators!

Good point Krono. DISH offers joint packages but they have around 30 HD channels. If Directv is going to offer 100 channels, it may make sense to have an HD only package for those that want it.

I found this posted on the Internet today. It's the cost of Directv Total Choice package year-by-year since 1999:

1999 Total Choice $29.99
    2000 Total Choice $31.99
    2003 Total Choice $33.99
    2004 Total Choice $36.99
    2005 Total Choice $41.99
    2006 Total Choice $44.99

If you remember those tests we took in school, you'll remember the questions where they presented a series and had you figure out what came next. So, what comes next in this series?

Answer:

2007 Total Choice $49.99

Rumors at www.dbstalk.com are that Directv will raise the price of Total Choice to $50, possibly March 1. Supposedly this is to help fund the announced launch of the new satellites and the related HD upgrades. So, it may be that the additional cost of HD will be spread out among all subscribers, and not just the ones that want HD.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Boy ole Rupert raised them fast in his 3 years at the helm.

Glad he's not in charge anymore.
    Go Gators!

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    In all seriousness, it takes a very heavy thunderstorm to lose signal around here.
    Most of the time people who say they have signal problems actually have either equipment problems, or a bad install, by my experiences.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

I can count on one hand how many times our signal went out last year and I cant even remember the last time it happened. It is mostly scary advertising used by the cable companies.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Most of the time people who say they have signal problems actually have either equipment problems, or a bad install, by my experiences.
    That's been my experience as well. I had signal problems several years ago right after a move and it turned out to be a poor install job. I had no problems once the dish was realigned.

Is FSN going to cover the Reds games in HD this year? I know the Blue Jackets and Cavs have pretty much all been in HD this year, so I assume the Reds will too.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Redlegs View Post
    Is FSN going to cover the Reds games in HD this year? I know the Blue Jackets and Cavs have pretty much all been in HD this year, so I assume the Reds will too.
    I called TWC in Troy a few weeks ago to see if they had any plans to broadcast Reds games on FSO in HD. The answer was no. I let them know I was very disappointed to hear that.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    I called TWC in Troy a few weeks ago to see if they had any plans to broadcast Reds games on FSO in HD. The answer was no. I let them know I was very disappointed to hear that.

GL
    I don't believe it's up to TWC. It's up to the Reds and FSN. In Columbus, we just started getting a special HD FSN channel, but if the Reds don't make the plans to go the HD route, it won't matter.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I've had DirecTV since September and have never had a loss of service. The worst that happens is twice we had REALLY heavy wind gusts (the kind you can hear howling at the back of the house) and it caused the picture to 'pixelize' a couple times. That's it. I'm very happy with the service...just not too thrilled about the price. I got NFL Sunday Ticket (with SuperFan) as a birthday present...if it weren't for that, I prolly wouldn't even have DirecTV. Unfortunately, I'm spoiled now...I can't stand to watch football where I can't bring up a NFL scoreboard and/or live current game stats at the press of a button. I'm going to need another birthday to pay for MLB Extra Innings...

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Turn Off Ads?