Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dear Wayne, play Denorfia in CF because....

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Dear Wayne, play Denorfia in CF because....

I'm going to write this letter when I get a chance this weekend. I'm going to talk about the amount of runs he could save defensively and I'm going to talk about reasonable offensive expectations. The case has been made in bits and pieces all over the board, with some people buying in and others still skeptical.

If you already have evidence compiled, please feel free to share/link it here. Otherwise I'm going to go to town when I have some time on my hands in a few days....

(When I said write a letter, I meant it somewhat metaphorically, as in -- on this board. The idea of actually sending him a "study" hadn't really crossed my mind, but now that you mention it, what's the worst that could happen? It gets thrown in the trash and never read. Oh well. And Aves, if I thought WK had a solid grasp on the relative contributions of offense & defense and the way each of those skill sets age, I don't think we would've had Royce Clayton on our 25 man roster and I don't think Junior would've been in CF last year.)
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 01-09-2007 at 04:22 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dear Wayne, play Denorfia in CF because....

No offense, but he will probably never see it and probably wouldn't read it if you handed it to him personally. Also, do you think he doesn't know this stuff already?

Forget about the numbers. The sell is to play him in CF because he's scrappy and you need an overachiever to pull the wagon if your team is going to overachieve.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    No offense, but he will probably never see it and probably wouldn't read it if you handed it to him personally. Also, do you think he doesn't know this stuff already?
    How long was Q on the 25 man roster?

I really wonder if he does know this stuff.
    Suck it up cupcake.

There is nothing about Denorfia's play, that I have seen, that should warrant him being given the starting CF job.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    There is nothing about Denorfia's play, that I have seen, that should warrant him being given the starting CF job.
    Just the opposite with me. He gets a good jump, takes good routes, has good speed and a solid arm. At the plate he takes a good approach to each AB and has a nice compact swing. He's performed all the way up the ladder and he's shown promise in limited MLB exposure.

Far as I can tell, he's the team's best defensive option in CF and it looks like he can at least be an average hitter at that position.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    LOL! How did ya know? Haven't been over to their offices have ya?
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I think he should get it by default.

There is no one on the roster that has played well enought to warrent the starting CF Job. Freel can't seem to play every day, and Jr has no range.

At least Denorfia comes with the possibility of some upside.

GL

Should that be a Dear Jerry letter? Doesn't Krivsky acquire the players and Narron manage them on the ball field?

If he comes out and has a good spring training, hits, and wins the job, I have no problem with him getting a chance, but he needs to earn it. I have not been overly impressed with his major league performance. I've seen him play in the minor leagues and from everything I've seen, he seems more like a guy that can come off the bench and give a guy a rest and not hurt you a lot. I am just not sold that he is an everyday major league centerfielder, based on what he has shown. It would be a pleasant surprise if he proves otherwise.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

I would love to see Denorfia given a straight shot at a starting outfield position, be it in center, left, or right.

Defensively, he is an improvement over everyone we have except maybe Ryan Freel.

Offensively, I think he has real potential to be a good 'on-base guy'. In the new 2007 Bill James Handbook, they project Chris Denorfia as follows for 2007:
    135 games, 447 ABs, 139 hits, 28 doubles, 2 triples, and 12 HRs, 67 runs, 60 RBIs, 48 BBs, and 69 Ks, 14 steals with a 74% SB success rate, .311/.379/.463 for an OPS of .842.

I know that many of you will wonder what Bill James is smoking. The fact is that Denorfia has had good luck in the minors. Although he struggled for a time last summer, he finished the season on a nice surge, batting .352/.407/.463 (.870 OPS) in September/October with 54 ABs. The only way to see how he would do is to put him in there full time for a couple months, and let him sink or swim.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Forget about the numbers. The sell is to play him in CF because he's scrappy and you need an overachiever to pull the wagon if your team is going to overachieve.
    Tell him he is from Cuba and he is actually 47 yrs old. Then he'll start for sure.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Then you haven't seen #19 much in a Reds uniform.

He takes the best routes to balls, gets the best jump, and has surprising speed.

I'd love to see him and Freel race. I think with Denorfia's longer strides, he might surprise you with the result.

If the choice is between Griffey, Freel and Denorfia, it should be no contest.

Denorifa, then Freel, then Griffey.

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    I would love to see Denorfia given a straight shot at a starting outfield position, be it in center, left, or right.

Defensively, he is an improvement over everyone we have except maybe Ryan Freel.

Offensively, I think he has real potential to be a good 'on-base guy'. In the new 2007 Bill James Handbook, they project Chris Denorfia as follows for 2007:
    135 games, 447 ABs, 139 hits, 28 doubles, 2 triples, and 12 HRs, 67 runs, 60 RBIs, 48 BBs, and 69 Ks, 14 steals with a 74% SB success rate, .311/.379/.463 for an OPS of .842.

I know that many of you will wonder what Bill James is smoking. The fact is that Denorfia has had good luck in the minors. Although he struggled for a time last summer, he finished the season on a nice surge, batting .352/.407/.463 (.870 OPS) in September/October with 54 ABs. The only way to see how he would do is to put him in there full time for a couple months, and let him sink or swim.
    There is the key. Cincy handed him the job last year and yanked it from him in a week. NEWSFLASH...this team is headed nowhere this season. Let's see what we have in Denorfia. Give him all the time you need in making an assessment.

As long as Freel is on the team, he should start in center and leadoff 5 out of 6 games. Let Deno play there the 6th game or whenever Freel needs a break, but you have to give Freel the job.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?