Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gwynn and Ripken this year's inductees

Gwynn and Ripken this year's inductees

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

NEW YORK -- As anticipated, the dynamic duo of eight-time National League batting champion Tony Gwynn and Iron Man Cal Ripken Jr. earned election to the National Baseball Hall of Fame on Tuesday, both having attained nearly the highest percentage of votes in history.

On the ballot for the first time, the pair will be inducted into the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown on July 29. They will be joined by any candidates elected in the Hall of Fame Veterans Committee election, the results of which will be announced on Feb. 27.

Ripken garnered 98.53 percent of the vote, the third highest in balloting history done by veteran members of the Baseball Writers' Association of America, but the most for a position player. Ripken finished behind Tom Seaver (98.83 in 1992) and Nolan Ryan (98.79 in 1999). Gwynn's percentage of 97.6 percent, based on his 532 votes, ranks seventh all-time.

Mark McGwire, also a ballot newcomer, fell well short of election, his name appearing on less than a quarter of the record 545 ballots cast, two of which were left completely blank.

There is good news and bad news for Rich "Goose" Gossage, the reliever who is creeping ever so close to his day in the Cooperstown sun. The bad news is that this time Gossage came up 21 votes shy of the 75 percent needed to ascend to the Hall. The good news is that with a much thinner ballot next year, Gossage seems to be on the cusp.

On the ballot for the eighth year, the Goose came in at 71.2 percent, an increase from his 64.6 percent a year ago. In the history of the BBWAA Hall of Fame voting, no candidate has ever received at least 70 percent in an election without eventually gaining a place in Cooperstown. Most recently, Don Sutton (73.2 percent in 1997) and Gaylord Perry (72.1 percent) gained election the very next year.

McGwire received enough votes to carry him over until next year, but his 23.5 percent (128 votes) was a resounding rebuff from an electorate which suspected that the slugger, who finished his 16-year career with 583 homers, was part of Major League Baseball's so-called steroid era.

Of the 17 first-timers on the ballot, only McGwire and Harold Baines received enough votes to carry them over. Five years after he retires, a player has 15 years of eligibility on the ballot, but he must receive at least 5 percent of the vote each year to maintain that status.

With the addition of Gwynn and Ripken to the Hall, 280 members have now been elected, including 198 former Major League players -- 105 of them by BBWAA, whose voters must have at least 10 years of consecutive membership to receive a ballot.

Jim Rice and Andre Dawson, who like Gossage, received more than 60 percent of the vote last year, both lost a little ground this year.

From the outset, Gwynn and Ripken were dead-bang winners.

Aside from tying Honus Wagner for the most NL batting titles in history, Gwynn was a 15-time NL All-Star who had 3,141 hits, batted .338 and won five Gold Gloves as a right fielder in his 20 Major League seasons, all played with the San Diego Padres. His career-high .394 average during the strike-shortened 1994 season is the highest to lead either league in the past 65 years -- since Ted Williams became the last of the .400 hitters when he batted .406 to lead the American League in 1941.

Ripken played in a record 2,632 consecutive games from May 30, 1982, to Sept. 20, 1998, shattering the mark of 2,130 once held by Yankees first baseman Lou Gehrig and captivating the hearts of baseball fans everywhere. Ripken had 3,184 hits -- including 431 home runs -- batted .276, was twice an AL Most Valuable Player (1983 and 1991), was a 19-time AL All-Star, and won two Gold Gloves.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Gwynn and Ripken this year's inductees

Mark McGuire's 23.5% means he is a VERY long way away from making, it ever.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

And that's a shame. The writers sure as hell enjoyed living off both McGwire and Sosa that now tainted 1998 season. But no, of course the writers didn't know anything.

Hypocrites.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Congratulations Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken Jr on making the Hall of fame. I am hopefuly Rich "Goose" Gossage makes it in next year. I am glad that Mark McGwire was kept out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    Congratulations Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken Jr on making the Hall of fame. I am hopefuly Rich "Goose" Gossage makes it in next year. I am glad that Mark McGwire was kept out.
    Why. McGwire never tested positive for anything. His stats certainly merit induction. The only thing he has been "caught" with was Andro which was allowed under MLB rules at the time.

From all accounts he was a good person, and a good father. Did he juice? maybe. but there is no proof he did.

Meanwhile the men who sold papers writing about him, built him to be a near mythic figure in 1998 now have decided that he is not worthy of enshrinement. It's a double standard that IMO taints the Hall.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Here are the full voting results
    Green - elected
    Red - removed from future ballots

Code:
      	        Votes 	Pct.
    Cal Ripken Jr. 	537 	98.5
    Tony Gwynn 	532 	97.6
    Rich Gossage 	388 	71.2
    Jim Rice 	346 	63.5
    Andre Dawson 	309 	56.7
    Bert Blyleven 	260 	47.7
    Lee Smith 	217 	39.8
    Jack Morris 	202 	37.1
    Mark McGwire 	128 	23.5
    Tommy John 	125 	22.9
    Steve Garvey 	115 	21.1
    Dave Concepcion 74 	13.6
    Alan Trammell 	73 	13.4
    Dave Parker 	62 	11.4
    Don Mattingly 	54 	9.9
    Dale Murphy 	50 	9.2
    Harold Baines 	29 	5.3
    Orel Hershiser 	24 	4.4
    Albert Belle 	19 	3.5
    Paul O'Neill 	12 	2.2
    Bret Saberhagen 7 	1.3
    Jose Canseco 	6 	1.1
    Tony Fernandez 	4 	0.7
    Dante Bichette 	3 	0.6
    Eric Davis 	3 	0.6
    Bobby Bonilla 	2 	0.4
    Ken Caminiti 	2 	0.4
    Jay Buhner 	1 	0.2
    Scott Brosius 	0 	0
    Wally Joyner 	0 	0
    Devon White 	0 	0
    Bobby Witt 	0 	0
    Last edited by Danny Serafini; 01-09-2007 at 03:00 PM.

My thinking is that Goose Gossage deserves induction before McGwire. I am wanting to see more information before letting him in. He was not worthy of a first ballot induction. I am not saying keep McGwire out permantly. I am just wanting to take a wait and see approach with him.

Tony Gwynn, one of my favorite players ever and seemingly a very good guy. He was a great, great hitter. It was like watching an artist when he was at the plate. I could watch him hit all day.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

The headline should be about who got in.....not who didn't, media.

Congrats for the two deserving.

Dante Bichette got the same number of votes as Eric Davis.

And someone voted for Jay Buhner.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

I believe it was Frank Costanza of the Queens NY Daily Costanzan. A few years ago he confronted George Steinbrenner and said: "What the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for?! He had 30 home runs, over 100 RBIs last year! He's got a rocket for an arm... You don't know what the hell you're doing!"
    Last edited by Strikes Out Looking; 01-09-2007 at 03:40 PM.
    Win the Division

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

And Tony Fernandez got one more than Eric Davis. That's just sad.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Tell you what, give me a team with an OF of Rice, Dawson and Parker with an IF of Garvey, Trammell (at 2B), Concepcion and pretty much anyone who can stand up and play 3B. Put that together with a rotation of Blyleven, Morris, John and the Bulldog and have Gossage and Smith at the back of the pen and you'd have pretty much the best team that ever played baseball. The quality of the guys not making it to Cooperstown these days is staggering.
    Last edited by M2; 01-09-2007 at 04:46 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

It would have been interesting to see the numbers Albert Belle would have put up if it were not for that hip injury.

He and Eric Davis are the biggest "what could have beens" on that list in my opinion.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Tell you what, give me a team with an OF of Rice, Dawson and Parker with an IF of Garvey, Trammell (at 2B), Concepcion and pretty much anyone who can stand up and play SS. Put that together with a rotation of Blyleven, Morris, John and the Bulldog and have Gossage and Smith at the back of the pen and you'd have pretty much the best team that ever played baseball. The quality of the guys not making it to Cooperstown these days is staggering.
    Amazing when you think of it, really. What with the '80s being the era of my baseball-loving youth (until girls got in the way in the late '80s-early '90s), I remember all of those guys being mentioned as future Hall-of-Famers. I think everyone listed above Paul O'Neill was considered great enough in their own time to be considered Hall worthy.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Turn Off Ads?