Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Votes for Davey Concepcion

Votes for Davey Concepcion

Does anyone happen to know the breakdown of votes for Davey today? And isn't this his final year of eligibility? If not, I know it's close. Again, I'm very disappointed that most if not all of the sports writers that vote for the Hall of Fame didn't even see him play.
    Very disappointed,
    Julz :thumbdown

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Votes for Davey Concepcion

He got 74 votes . It was on FOX NET

Which was an improvement of 9 over last year. Which irritated Jason Stark. Which irritated me.

Very disappointing, that. It is difficult to argue there was a better shortstop during the entire decade of the '70s.
    As for his chances on the veterans committee, I am pessimistic there. The new attitude seems to be "If they weren't voted in by the writers, then they don't deserve it." If that is their attitude, then what do we need a veterans committee anyhow?

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by noskill27 View Post
    Which was an improvement of 9 over last year. Which irritated Jason Stark. Which irritated me.
    Stark... (shaking head)

Very perceptive of Stark to compare Concepcion to mostly outfielders. Of course his numbers do not compare to them!

I'll tell you this much, IMO, and I've said this before, and I'll believe it to my dying day, if Pee Wee Reese and Phil Rizutto are Hof'ers, then Dave Concepcion is too.

His numbers are very, very similar to Ozzie's. I know we've beat this to death here over the last month, so I won't rehash.

IMO, Ozzie, Concepcion and Alan Trammell too, are all HoF'ers.

Why is it so hard for a player to get into the HoF, as compared to all of the other sports?

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Why is it so hard for a player to get into the HoF, as compared to all of the other sports?
    That's why people care more about the baseball Hall than the other sports'.

As for Concepcion... I don't know. I tend to be in the camp that recognizes some mistakes were made in prior elections but it shouldn't lower the bar. To get in the Hall, I want to see that a player belongs compared to the typical enshrined player at his position, as opposed to making the case he's as good as the most questionable honorees.
    Not all who wander are lost

This one is much more sacred than the others, no matter how much ESPN pumps up the NFL HoF.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    This one is much more sacred than the others, no matter how much ESPN pumps up the NFL HoF.
    I understand your meaning, but sacred is a word I reserve for something other than baseball, which I do adore....um, wait a minute...ok, it's sacred!

It should not be that incredibly difficult to get in; because it is already difficult. When you are the best player at your position, for a period of 10 years, that should suffice.

The NFL lets way too many in every year. MLB can do better than 1 or 2 a year; there are more great players than that.

IMO, it's become too exclusive, too snobbery. One used to just have to be a great player to get in, now you have to be extremely popular with the fans and especially the press as well.

The NFL lets way too many in every year.
    Can't say I agree with that. When I see the ballot each year I wonder how they keep so many out. Remember, their rosters are over twice the size of an MLB roster. More players = more HOFers.

MLB can do better than 1 or 2 a year; there are more great players than that.

IMO, it's become too exclusive, too snobbery. One used to just have to be a great player to get in, now you have to be extremely popular with the fans and especially the press as well.
    Agree with that 100%. I don't see what's gained by leaving deserving people out.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I don't know about that. I know the Pro Football Hall of Fame gets just as much publicity, if not more, than the Baseball Hall of Fame, and it has rules that a certain number of players MUST be elected each year. Watch the Football Hall induction ceremonies and you see people decked out in their team's gear, cheering football's past greats and making the weekend into a giant tailgate party. The baseball hall of fame induction ceremonies are often about as fun as the 10th hour of a Ken Burns documentary.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post

As for Concepcion... I don't know. I tend to be in the camp that recognizes some mistakes were made in prior elections but it shouldn't lower the bar. To get in the Hall, I want to see that a player belongs compared to the typical enshrined player at his position, as opposed to making the case he's as good as the most questionable honorees.
    I agree with that standard. That's why I think Concepcion is a Hall of Famer. He matches up extremely well with the average Hall of Fame shortstop. There isn't a shortstop in there besides Wagner, Banks, and maybe Vaughan that Concepcion doesn't match up well with.

Now, players like Gary Carter and Bruce Sutter... that's a case of voters looking at the bottom of the barrell...

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Maybe. But as much as I love the baseball Hof, the NFL HoF is way more fun to visit. Plus the NFL giftshop caters to every team, not just the Red Sox, Yankees, and Brooklyn Dodgers.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    Very disappointing, that. It is difficult to argue there was a better shortstop during the entire decade of the '70s.
    As for his chances on the veterans committee, I am pessimistic there. The new attitude seems to be "If they weren't voted in by the writers, then they don't deserve it." If that is their attitude, then what do we need a veterans committee anyhow?
    For the most part, I think you're right. It will be very difficult for a player to get elected to the Hall via the new format of the Vets' Committee, and it's very possible that they just won't ever elect anybody under the current format.

Two years ago during the last Vets' Committee election, Ron Santo and Gil Hodges led the way with 65 percent each with 63 out of 80 votes. There were 83 eligible voters, but three did not vote. It's important to note that those three non-votes did not get marked down as blank ballots.

Santo might get elected this year, and either way it's going to be very close. Ryne Sandberg is a new Vets' Committee voter this year, and he stated during his induction speech in 2005 that he's voting for Santo. Peter Gammons is also a new Vets' Committee voter this year, and he's stated in the past that Santo is a glaring Hall omission so I'd expect Gammons to vote for Santo. Right now, Santo looks like the best hope to break through with the new Vets' Committee, and let's face it, the guy definitely deserves to be there.

As for Concepcion, if he's going to get into Cooperstown, he's going to have to go through the same route. Right now, Davey has four former teammates eligible to vote in Bench, Morgan, Perez, and Seaver. He also has Marty and Hal among the eligible voters. One would think Davey has those six votes in the bag already, but I'm not sure about a guy like Seaver.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Tom Seaver, speaking on a conference call for all of the living Hall of Fame players who comprise a majority of the revamped committee, defended their prolonged inability to induct anyone.

"Our job is not to vote someone to the Hall of Fame, but to go through the voting process as it's defined," Seaver said. "The objective isn't necessarily to vote someone in.

"It's very difficult to get into the Hall of Fame -- and it should be a difficult process."
    Whether or not Seaver supports Concepcion for the Hall, I really have no idea.

For the upcoming Vets' Committee election, there are 84 total voters. If everybody votes, 63 votes will be required for election. Here's the current voters for the upcoming 2007 Vets' Committee election ...

Hall of Famers (61)

Hank Aaron
    Sparky Anderson
    Luis Aparicio
    Ernie Banks
    Johnny Bench
    Yogi Berra
    Wade Boggs
    George Brett
    Lou Brock
    Jim Bunning
    Rod Carew
    Steve Carlton
    Gary Carter
    Orlando Cepeda
    Bobby Doerr
    Dennis Eckersley
    Bob Feller
    Rollie Fingers
    Carlton Fisk
    Whitey Ford
    Bob Gibson
    Monte Irvin
    Reggie Jackson
    Fergie Jenkins
    Al Kaline
    George Kell
    Harmon Killebrew
    Ralph Kiner
    Sandy Koufax
    Tom Lasorda
    Lee MacPhail
    Juan Marichal
    Willie Mays
    Bill Mazeroski
    Willie McCovey
    Paul Molitor
    Joe Morgan
    Eddie Murray
    Stan Musial
    Phil Niekro
    Jim Palmer
    Tony Pérez
    Gaylord Perry
    Phil Rizzuto
    Robin Roberts
    Brooks Robinson
    Frank Robinson
    Nolan Ryan
    Ryne Sandberg
    Mike Schmidt
    Red Schoendienst
    Tom Seaver
    Ozzie Smith
    Duke Snider
    Bruce Sutter
    Don Sutton
    Earl Weaver
    Billy Williams
    Dave Winfield
    Carl Yastrzemski
    Robin Yount

Ford C. Frick Award Recipients (14)

Marty Brennaman
    Herb Carneal
    Jerry Coleman
    Gene Elston
    Joe Garagiola
    Ernie Harwell
    Milo Hamilton
    Jaime Jarrin
    Harry Kalas
    Felo Ramírez
    Vin Scully
    Lon Simmons
    Bob Uecker
    Bob Wolff

J.G. Taylor Spink Award Recipients (8)
    Murray Chass
    Charley Feeney
    Peter Gammons
    Jerome Holtzman
    Hal McCoy
    Jack Lang
    Ross Newhan
    Tracy Ringolsby

Former Veterans Committee Members (1)

John McHale (term expires after 2007 election)
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Turn Off Ads?