Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: R'n'R Hall of Fame: Who Isn't In, But Should Be?

R'n'R Hall of Fame: Who Isn't In, But Should Be?

I figured this could use a separate thread than the one on 2007 inductees, since this topic was raised there. If those whose power is greater than mine deem otherwise, feel free to merge.

Which band(s) who meets the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame qualifications do you believe SHOULD be in, but is (are) not? Remember, to qualify, a band or artist must have commercially released their first album 25 years ago (in this case, 1982). I'll get it started with a couple suggestions, you can agree, disagree, or do both and provide some of your own.

The Cure: Though I'm mixed about their music--some I like, some I loathe--their influence on alt/goth music is undeniable. Celebrating 30 years this year as an act that managed to take a seemingly niche musical form and make it palateable to a wide audience.

Depeche Mode: They weren't the only predominantly electronic act to emerge during the 80s by any means, but they are unquestionably the most popular and longest-lasting. 70 million albums sold, an enduringly-popular live show and seemingly countless influences.

Rush: Definitely a polarizing act, both for their musical style and Geddy Lee's voice, they nonetheless are perhaps the most popular prog/arena rock act in history. The very definition of musical virtuosos, they never forgot how to write a tune. They're also behind only the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Kiss and Aerosmith for most consecutive Platinum and Gold albums by a rock band.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: R'n'R Hall of Fame: Who Isn't In, But Should Be?

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Little Feat - The Lowell George Era

The Replacements - They Rock, therefore they belong

Wilco - This generations Neil Young?

Big Star - A band many tried to emulate

NIN - I used to worry that every band would try and sound like Janes Addiction, they fooled me and tried to sound like NIN.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

The Cure: Though I'm mixed about their music--some I like, some I loathe--their influence on alt/goth music is undeniable. Celebrating 30 years this year as an act that managed to take a seemingly niche musical form and make it palateable to a wide audience.
    As frustrating a band as there is. They'll wow you with gorgeous pop hooks combined with strange arrangements - I'll bet "Just Like Heaven" is on more top 5 lists than any other song, the hit that never was- and then they'll do something so atrocious you think Robert Smith is a schizophrenic fraud.

I can't listen to "Boys Don't Cry" without thinking of Beat Night at Cooter's(?)
    and falling in love over and over with that opening guitar line. "Friday I'm In Love" is the happiest tune ever written, so caught up with itself you want to bounce along with it even in the middle of a cheap department store when it comes over their sound system.

There's a lot of crap there, too, and maybe it's my obsession with melody and structure that makes me think that way, but I would vote them in based on their best work and their undeniable influence on music made 20 years later.

The Cure probably belongs, for impact, longevity, and commercial success. REM's induction strengthens their case.

Depeche Mode, OTOH, I see as more of a moderately influential cult band on the fringes of goth and new wave, one of which was a pretty minor subgenre. I'd say they don't belong, but if they get in, then New Order certainly should, since they were both more successful and more prolific in both the new wave genre and as proto-goths (in their previous incarnation as Joy Division).

Rush beongs. No doubt about it. Ditto Yes.

Phil Collins might belong, after reigning as "king of pop" for over a decade, and leading Genesis into their most (commercially) successful period.

Dire Straits and Pat Benatar are borderline cases. One an influential musical force, the other a rare female superstar at the dawn of the MTV age. Iggy Pop, Peter Gabriel, and Cheap Trick probably also deserve a look.

It's only a matter of time before Boston, Heart, and John Cougar Mellencamp get in. (Kill me now.) A recent uptick in radio play probably makes Journey a lock.

Other names to consider include John Fogerty, Alice Cooper, and Jeff Beck.

Among the remaining names from the 50s and 60s, there are a number of giants, like Patsy Cline and Emmylou Harris, and some household names, like The Ventures, who can be expected to garner votes.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Very subjective list of Roy faves...

Dick Dale - pioneer of surf rock
    Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Brothers - the start of the whole country-rock thang, should be in for Sweetheart of the Rodeo alone.
    Jeff Beck - the nastiest tone in guitar rock ever, plus his fusion work
    Phil Collins/Genesis - what Redsland said
    Yes/ELO/ELP - prog rock, however pompous, needs someone in.
    J Geils Band - parties got rocking the hardest when J Geils was on the turntable.
    Little Feat - what woy said
    The Cars - new wave meets pop meets rock
    Dire Straits - I can listen to Knopfler all day.
    B-52's - punk meets sci-fi meets goofiness

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Depeche Mode, OTOH, I see as more of a moderately influential cult band on the fringes of goth and new wave, one of which was a pretty minor subgenre. I'd say they don't belong, but if they get in, then New Order certainly should, since they were both more successful and more prolific in both the new wave genre and as proto-goths (in their previous incarnation as Joy Division).
    Depeche Mode have been far more popular than New Order, though. You could make the argument that New Order were more influential, but in terms of popularity and longevity, Depeche has got them beat by a significant margin.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

J Geils Band - parties got rocking the hardest when J Geils was on the turntable.
    Here are the first 5 albums I ever bought with my own money.

When I got my long hippie hair cut, I got a shag like Claptons. I actually took this album cover to the stylist. Afterwards, my friends said I looked like Jane Fonda.

For a psychology class, I wrote a paper on Quadrophenia. I got a B.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I'll second Little Feat, RUSH and Alice Cooper. Probably J. Geils also.

Iron Maiden. KISS.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    For a psychology class, I wrote a paper on Quadrophenia. I got a B.
    I had a friend who taught religion/theology at a Catholic high school who had some classes he did on The Who's album Tommy in his class. It was the 1970's and a number of teachers also did Jesus Christ Superstar.

I voted for Bryan Adams. He was doing somehwhat mainstream, "harder" edge rock before the glam rock craze came out. And then came Robin Hood and his theme song for it, and as far as I'm concerned his music hasn't been nearly as good since.

Alice Cooper should definately be in if he/they aren't in already. Some of his earlier stuff is amazingly good pop-rock-harder edged glam. Combined with his cutting-edge live show I think he pieced together existing muscial styles with some new twists and spit out some influential work.

The track "Welcome to my Nighmare" by itself should be enough, but thats probably a little over the top.

I'd also throw a vote for Stevie Ray Vaughn out there, but I don't think his first album came out till 1983ish, although IIRC he had a single or two prior to that.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 01-10-2007 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Little Feat - The Lowell George Era

The Replacements - They Rock, therefore they belong

Wilco - This generations Neil Young?

Big Star - A band many tried to emulate

NIN - I used to worry that every band would try and sound like Janes Addiction, they fooled me and tried to sound like NIN.
    No Cheap Trick?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    No Cheap Trick?
    Whoops.. definitely, without a doubt... they get in for sure. Not only did they rock they made fun of it all for decades.

Come On Come On on the Live at Budokan album is 3 minutes of what rock n roll is about.

Turn Off Ads?