Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPod / MP3 player

I'm toolsy.

iPod / MP3 player

You have all been so helpful TV and other buying suggestions, Ithought you might be able to help with this. I would like an MP3 player, but don't really want to shell out the cash for the iPod. Will a "regular" MP3 player that can be bought for $50 at Wal-Mart play downloaded music from itunes? Or will itunes only work with an iPod? Thanks ahead of time for your help.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: iPod / MP3 player

I'd consider something with 30 gbs, even though it's gonna be more expensive. It's great you can put all of your cds on it. I've got about 100 cds on mine and I've still got 23 gbs left. No more searching through your Cds in the car trying to find the one you want. You'd probably be fine with one with 10 gbs.

But yes you can put music from Itunes on any MP3 player.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRedsGM View Post
    You have all been so helpful TV and other buying suggestions, Ithought you might be able to help with this. I would like an MP3 player, but don't really want to shell out the cash for the iPod. Will a "regular" MP3 player that can be bought for $50 at Wal-Mart play downloaded music from itunes? Or will itunes only work with an iPod? Thanks ahead of time for your help.
    Music downloaded from iTunes will only play on iPod players. You can always take the songs you download from iTunes, burn a CD, then re-rip the tracks without the copy protection, but you'll lose sound quality in the transition from MP3-CD-MP3.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Music downloaded from iTunes will only play on iPod players. You can always take the songs you download from iTunes, burn a CD, then re-rip the tracks without the copy protection, but you'll lose sound quality in the transition from MP3-CD-MP3.
    I think I've done it without putting them on CD.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I broke down and bought a nano last month. I got the 8gb and love it so far. I've got about 800 songs on it and I am only about half full. Once I get the rest of my CDs ripped on to the computer I should be able to get it pretty close to full.

The main reason I got the nano, though, was for the Nike+ functionality.

I'm toolsy.

Ok, I've been reading about some players at bestbuy.com. Some of them say taht music compatibility is either Rhapsody, or Napster, or Zune, or something like that.

Is there an mp3 player that I can use in conjuction with my own CDs and yahoo musicmatch player that I already have on my computer? What about with Limewire?
    Last edited by FutureRedsGM; 01-10-2007 at 02:51 PM.

I have a 20 GB Irvier H10 that I like a lot. it works with Rhapsody togo.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I have an mp3 player and the major problem I have is battery life... seems like I'm going through a battery a day, and it sucks.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

iTunes is a music library manager, not a file format. If you use it to rip CDs or organize plain old MP3s you've downloaded from wherever, those should be transferrable to most any MP3 player. It's the songs you buy online from the iTunes Music Store that are in the protected AAC format, which only iPods support. (Like CE said, you can work around that but you lose sound quality with each conversion.)
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

we used limewire and were much happier with that than bearshare. i seem to have some problems with the program turning my computer off... but i bet that's due to whomever built it

and most of the PDA phones these days also have the ability to play music, so you might consider shelling out the cash for a phone that ALSO holds music. granted they only hold about 2GB, but thats still not too terrible.

The new Sony Ericsson phones will support up to 8Gb but there is only current a 4Gb memory card on the market. The card is about $200.

Copy protection is built into the music that is purchased from the the iTunes and Zune stores which make them only usable on the Apple and Microsoft players respectively.

I know that iPods are relatively expensive compared to the little ole player you can get from Radio Shack but they do have better accessories, run on rechargeable batteries and the thing I have noticed (especially with the shuffle which is now 1Gb and about $50) is that they process a little quicker than those players as well.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I bought this one-- K-pex. Plays video, FM radio, games, killer price.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Odds are current iPod prices will go down come June when their new phone hits the market. Check that phone out if you get a chance...amazing. Definately way too much for my budget and taste, but it looks incredible. It has a widescreen on it so I would imagine a similar player will be coming out in the near future. Therefore the current 30/60 gb models will go way down in price.

University of Cincinnati

i got an 80GB Ipod for free
    THE University of Cincinnati

Here is one and you can also record AM/FM radio.

http://www.radioyourway.com/radioyourwaylx640.htm
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Turn Off Ads?