Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Reds acquire Jeff Keppinger; DFA Olmedo

Re: Reds acquire Jeff Keppinger; DFA Olmedo

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I was talking about Phillips and Ross being "25th" man moves. However Gonzalez improved the team. His defense will be fantastic, it will improve everybody elses defense, and GABP will inflate his numbers some.
    If you really think ANYONE believes Ross and Philips were 25th man moves, you are mistaken. As soon as Philips became a Red, ALL of Redszone was clamoring for the release of WOMACK! He was cheap, and once one of baseball's top prospects.

Getting Keppinger isn't even a 25th man move. It's Cody Ross redux. A move for the sake of making a move. It in NO WAY improves this club, as Krivsky basically jettisoned the same guy twice to make room for him (Harris and Olmedo).

Ross was insurance for LaRue. He responded by playing way over his head and winning the job outright. That really doesn't happen too often.

The problem with having an Alex Gonzales is the Reds also have Jerry Narron. We will see AGon bat second at some time this year. Count on it.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Isn't this just a minor deal? They lose a pitcher that no one has really heard of. They lose a weak hitting middle IF who has bounced back and forth between AAA and the majors over the past 5 years. Olmado really didn't have a place on this team with the signings of Gonzales and having Castro on the roster. Keppinger just seens like a guy who may be the 25th man on the roster who is a pinch hitter sent up to make contact.
    Yes, it is a minor deal. Maybe WK's 50th since he joined the organization.

My only issue, since this probably won't affect either team's position in the standings, is that he is making so many of these deals. Deals that do not matter. Maybe he should spend some of his time trying to acquire someone who might improve the team materially.

I love the trade. It'd be nice to have him pinch-hit when they need to move a runner over (and I can't remember the last time I saw a Red successfully get a sacrifice to move a runner from second to third).

It was a Rafael Landestoy bunt that was the key play

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

If I remember right the Royals still owe us a PTBNL for Larue, if so what does it say that we made this trade, is there something in the works. If he was to be DFA'd and we wanted him that sounds like a good PTBNL fit to me, so why a trade?

Quote Originally Posted by OLD RIGHTHANDER View Post
    If I remember right the Royals still owe us a PTBNL for Larue, if so what does it say that we made this trade, is there something in the works. If he was to be DFA'd and we wanted him that sounds like a good PTBNL fit to me, so why a trade?
    Stop using logic. Actually that was a really good question.

Quote Originally Posted by OLD RIGHTHANDER View Post
    I would like to think that we're getting someone a tier up from Keppinger in exchange for Jason LaRue, particularly since we ate some of his salary. I'd expect some better prospect. I'm not saying a top tiered, but not a journeyman utility player.

I'm not sure what the hold-up is, maybe some decent prospect who can't be traded yet?

Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I would like to think that we're getting someone a tier up from Keppinger in exchange for Jason LaRue, particularly since we ate some of his salary. I'd expect some better prospect. I'm not saying a top tiered, but not a journeyman utility player.

I'm not sure what the hold-up is, maybe some decent prospect who can't be traded yet?

I am also hoping for something of higher quality than Ray Ray from the Devil Rays. If so the series of trades work out as follows:

Keppinger = Harris (Although Wayne might be higher on him than Harris to follow through with this deal)
    Tampa PTBNL => Ray Ray

It would seem to be a talent-neutral swap, with possiblity for a gain on the Reds' part. No biggie.

I must admit though, I am curous what they are getting for Larue.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    If you really think ANYONE believes Ross and Philips were 25th man moves, you are mistaken. As soon as Philips became a Red, ALL of Redszone was clamoring for the release of WOMACK! He was cheap, and once one of baseball's top prospects.

Getting Keppinger isn't even a 25th man move. It's Cody Ross redux. A move for the sake of making a move. It in NO WAY improves this club, as Krivsky basically jettisoned the same guy twice to make room for him (Harris and Olmedo).

Ross was insurance for LaRue. He responded by playing way over his head and winning the job outright. That really doesn't happen too often.

The problem with having an Alex Gonzales is the Reds also have Jerry Narron. We will see AGon bat second at some time this year. Count on it.
    Phillips was DFA'd. That's a 25th man move.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Phillips was DFA'd. That's a 25th man move.
    The term "25th man move" would have more to do with the acquiring team than the player involved.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    The term "25th man move" would have more to do with the acquiring team than the player involved.
    yep. And when your second base options start with TONY WOMACK, Phillips was certainly not a 25th man move. David Ross was closer to that than Phillips. IMO this was Wayne K's best move. Also his luckiest. WMP for Arroyo was talent for talent. It was also two guys coming off a year worse than the previous one.

But somebody in the Reds org. saw Phillips as a possible starter at a position the Reds had no young depth at. No heir apparent in the minors. Hell, there still isn't one. Ross may never have another year like 2006, but Phillips projects to get a little better. Defensively he's outstanding right now.

Now, Cody Ross was a 25th man move made for no apparent reason.

Turn Off Ads?