Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Jeff Keppinger; DFA Olmedo

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Reds acquire Jeff Keppinger; DFA Olmedo

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Actually, looking again on Baseball Cube, there's a Kevin and a Russell and they're the same guy. Missed that the first time. The 2005 stats are under one name, the 2006 stats the other. Anyway, you're right, nothing much to see.
    Did he suck so bad in 2005 he had to use a different name in 2006?

Regardless, I've never been on the Olmedo bandwagon, and I was never on the Bergolla bandwagon. It is a little surprisingly to see us pick up Brendan Harris when we just shipped Brendan Harris to Tampa Bay.

I guess Krivsky likes the way Keppinger would look on the back of a jersey better than Harris?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Krivsky's trade finger was itching is all. This is a who cares transaction.

And one that wasn't necessary, but removes another of the previous regime(s) players.

And that's really all it is.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Senor Votto

Now all are problems are solved!

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    These are the moves I like from Krivsky. Keppinger is a guy that could be a solid bench player, and I have never even heard of Russ Haltiwanger. Keppinger is just a flat out better prospect (if you want to call him that) then Olmedo.

It's a solid move.

Would not be surprised if Freel is traded.
    I don't know what Keppinger has to do with Ryan Freel. Keppinger is a backup infielder. Freel was a starting outfielder last year. I just don't see the connection. FWIW, I think trading Freel would leave a huge gap on this team, with or without Deno. You need some depth -- I would keep them both.

I guess Krivsky likes Keppinger better than Harris or Olmedo. Ok, fine.

Castro, Denorfia, Valentin, and Conine should definitely make the roster along with the starting 8 guys (assuming Freel starts over Deno). That should leave one bench spot (5 man bench, 12 pitchers) for either Moeller, Crosby, Hamilton, Keppinger, Hopper, or someone yet to be acquired.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don't know what Keppinger has to do with Ryan Freel. Keppinger is a backup infielder. Freel was a starting outfielder last year. I just don't see the connection.

I guess Krivsky likes Keppinger better than Harris or Olmedo. Ok, fine.

Castro, Denorfia, Valentin, and Conine should definitely make the roster along with the starting 8 guys (assuming Freel starts over Deno). That should leave one bench spot (5 man bench, 12 pitchers) for either Moeller, Crosby, Hamilton, Keppinger, Hopper, or someone yet to be acquired.
    Keppinger played 1b,2b,3b and LF for the Royals last year. He's a super utility guy like Freel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Keppinger played 1b,2b,3b and LF for the Royals last year. He's a super utility guy like Freel.
    Anyone of us could have played 1B, 2B, 3B and LF for the Royals last year.

Seems like we upgraded a UT/IF bat and downgraded a UT/IF glove, Keppinger for Harris.

Keppinger has 176 lifetime at bats. Freel has about 1,500. Keppinger is a pure bench player. Freel is a starter, or "semi-starter." The Reds obviously view Freel as primarily an outfielder. Keppinger is primarily an infielder.

Sorry, I just don't think you can trade Freel with the expectation that Keppinger will fill his role. Just don't see the correlation. Time will tell.

Actually, with a bench of Castro (rh, inf), Deno (rh, of), Conine (of/1B, rh) and Valentin (c, mainly lh), the ideal additional bench player would be a left handed hitter who can play infield positions. With Olmedo gone, don't see anyone like that around.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-10-2007 at 06:52 PM.

I don't think Wayne is done. I think there are more pieces to move. Can't say what they'll be, but whoever did the roster count had it down to about one spot. Some folks will have to be moved. As I said earlier, this is no biggie.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Harris is allegedly better in the field than Keppinger (according to Rotoworld), with Brendan having more experience at 3B and some minor ability to play SS.

Jeff hits for a high average and rarely strikes out, but has little power, no speed, and draws a mediocre but not terrible number of walks.

I too have had my doubts about Olmedo as a major-league hitter. Losing him doesn't bug me the way the loss of Harris did. With Ray's lack of remaining options it was just a matter of time before he left the organization. Perhaps Krivsky can get something for him.

As for Haltiwanger, he's your classic hard-throwing, control-struggling minor-leaguer. While he showed durability in a variety of relief roles at Dayton last year, he a) was a year or so older than average for the level, b) was a 29th-round draft pick, and c) spent the vast majority of his time in middle relief.

I don't make it a policy to crack on minor-league players, but he wasn't a significant prospect. Most all of the other minor-league pitchers the Reds traded away over the past year (Zach Ward, Abe Woody, etc.) were better prospects when dealt.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    I go to Dayton games all the time and I don't remember him at all so I don't think we are losing anything with Haltiwanger.
    There you go...that's enough for me!

Matt700wlw Rotoworld's thoughts:

Once again, we're left baffled by a Wayne Krivsky move. The Reds just had practically the same player on the roster in Brendan Harris before giving him away to the Rays. Both are 26-year-old right-handed hitters. We'd give Harris the clear edge, based mostly on his versatility. Keppinger is just average at second base and has little experience elsewhere. Harris is about as good at second base, is a fine third baseman and can handle short if necessary, though not on a regular basis. On offense, there's hardly any difference at all. If the Reds weren't going to have room for Harris, they shouldn't possess a spot for Keppinger. Also, this costs them a superior defensive infielder in Ray Olmedo. We're not impressed at all with how Krivsky has handled his offense since taking over.
    Because of the infamous Lopez-Kearns trade, Kriv is the new whipping boy. All of his moves will be considered suspect until he pulls off another Arroyo-Willie Mo type deal.

I'm sorry, losing Harris and Olmedo won't make me lose any sleep. Rotoworld needs to get their underwear out of a bunch.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Anyone have the picture of Olemedo about 5 feet in the air during the Dunn-Philles brawl...thats my lasting memory of the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Because of the infamous Lopez-Kearns trade, Kriv is the new whipping boy. All of his moves will be considered suspect until he pulls off another Arroyo-Willie Mo type deal.
    No...he just has to make a move that pays off.

WK should spend more of his time on deals that actually better the team. Most of his moves seem like 25th man filler moves, when in actuality he has multiple holes in roles that matter. Hey Wayne, who's the 5th starter? Who's closing?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    No...he just has to make a move that pays off.

WK should spend more of his time on deals that actually better the team. Most of his moves seem like 25th man filler moves, when in actuality he has multiple holes in roles that matter. Hey Wayne, who's the 5th starter? Who's closing?
    Phillips and Ross moves were those type of deals.

Gary Redus Ruled

Re: Reds acquire Jeff Keppinger from Royals

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Olmedo's probably the better fielder, but I don't think he will ever be more than a Juan Castro level hitter in the big leagues.
    EXACTLY....thats why Id rather have younger cheaper Ray Ray than old ass overpaid Castro..Thanks Wayne!!
    Hoping for another Reds October

Turn Off Ads?