Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Jeff Keppinger; DFA Olmedo

Re: Reds acquire Jeff Keppinger; DFA Olmedo

I'll go out on a limb & predict that Keppinger will be a de la Hoz favorite.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I'm not going to complain here. I didn't really think Olmedo was ever going to be anything (similar to how Bergolla just seemed to fizzle out) and I'd frankly never heard of the pitcher we traded for Keppinger. Just did a quick Baseball Cube, he pitched for the GCL team and Billings in 2005, didn't pitch last year?

My guess is, the Royals were about to DFA Keppinger to clear space on their 40 and didn't much care what they got back.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Deno and Keppinger. If I was Ryan Freel I'd keep a bag packed. Atlanta still needs a lead off man.
    If the Reds deal Freel I really like to try and get Hairston from Snakes, he is out of options and really doesn't have a spot.

My guess is, the Royals were about to DFA Keppinger to clear space on their 40 and didn't care what they got back.
    I believe they did DFA Keppinger.

Keppinger is the sine qua non of a successful franchise. He is analagous the great Neil Fiala and almost approximates the Brobdinagian contributions of Kelly Paris and maybe even German Barranca. He is epic

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I believe they did DFA Keppinger.
    Well, there you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    If the Reds deal Freel I really like to try and get Hairston from Snakes, he is out of options and really doesn't have a spot.
    Ummm. The point I was making is that Freel wouldn't really have a role. Trading Freel just to acquire a different utility guy doesn't make much sense.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Ummm. The point I was making is that Freel wouldn't really have a role. Trading Freel just to acquire a different utility guy doesn't make much sense.
    Let me clarify, I did not mean to trade Freel for Hairston. If they trade Freel for someone else(pitching I would assume) then I wish they would attempt to acquire Hairston from the Snakes.

These are the moves I like from Krivsky. Keppinger is a guy that could be a solid bench player, and I have never even heard of Russ Haltiwanger. Keppinger is just a flat out better prospect (if you want to call him that) then Olmedo.

It's a solid move.

Would not be surprised if Freel is traded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Let me clarify, I did not mean to trade Freel for Hairston. If they trade Freel for someone else(pitching I would assume) then I wish they would attempt to acquire Hairston from the Snakes.
    That still doesn't make any sense. You trade Freel because you don't need him. You don't need him because you have a superior OF (Deno) and a more versatile utility IF (Keppinger). Thus, regardless of who you trade Freel for, it makes no sense to acquire Hairston -- you don't have a spot for him. Presumably that's why you traded away Freel in the first place.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I don't see a Russ Haltwanger. There is a Kevin, however, who pitched well for the GCL Reds last year as a minor league rookie.

I don't see a Russ Haltwanger. There is a Kevin, however, who pitched well for the GCL Reds last year as a minor league rookie.
    Russ pitched 40 games for Dayton last year. Had an 0-4 record with a 4.15 ERA. I go to Dayton games all the time and I don't remember him at all so I don't think we are losing anything with Haltiwanger.

That still doesn't make any sense. You trade Freel because you don't need him. You don't need him because you have a superior OF (Deno) and a more versatile utility IF (Keppinger). Thus, regardless of who you trade Freel for, it makes no sense to acquire Hairston -- you don't have a spot for him. Presumably that's why you traded away Freel in the first place.
    I expect Hairston would eventually become an everyday player with the Reds(maybe not from the start, but he can hit and hit for power). I really expect that he will blossom as a hitter given the chance(which he won't get in Arizona). The Reds have zero depth and really need a RH power bat, I believe he could fill that role. He is exactly the kind of low cost/high return player that WK went after when he acquired Ross and Phillips.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Rotoworld's thoughts:

Once again, we're left baffled by a Wayne Krivsky move. The Reds just had practically the same player on the roster in Brendan Harris before giving him away to the Rays. Both are 26-year-old right-handed hitters. We'd give Harris the clear edge, based mostly on his versatility. Keppinger is just average at second base and has little experience elsewhere. Harris is about as good at second base, is a fine third baseman and can handle short if necessary, though not on a regular basis. On offense, there's hardly any difference at all. If the Reds weren't going to have room for Harris, they shouldn't possess a spot for Keppinger. Also, this costs them a superior defensive infielder in Ray Olmedo. We're not impressed at all with how Krivsky has handled his offense since taking over.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Russ pitched 40 games for Dayton last year. Had an 0-4 record with a 4.15 ERA. I go to Dayton games all the time and I don't remember him at all so I don't think we are losing anything with Haltiwanger.
    Actually, looking again on Baseball Cube, there's a Kevin and a Russell and they're the same guy. Missed that the first time. The 2005 stats are under one name, the 2006 stats the other. Anyway, you're right, nothing much to see.

Turn Off Ads?