Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Hall of Fame? big deal

Hall of Fame? big deal

Is there anyone else here who really doesn't care all that much about the Hall of Fame? I'm interested to see who gets in, but other than that, I don't want to hear hours of talk about it (like on XM 175). Personally, I'm not that concerned if Goose Gossage or Lee Smith get in.

I think one of the reasons I feel this way is because writers vote for it, and it was basically started by them. I just don't think writers know enough about baseball. Then there are some that didn't vote Cal Ripken in, when I feel he should have been a unanimous (for those that actually voted) decision.

Half the people who vote on this "sacred" collection of players (as I stated in another thread) don't know much beyond saves, wins, and batting average. Also, I bet some of these writers never saw some of these players actually play.

I guess to me, it just isn't all that to get worked up about, although I'm not trying to down play it for the importance or uniqeness for others, or the players. Just for me, not all that important.

Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Hall of Fame? big deal

I don't really like the way it's voted on either, especially when you see so many deserving players left out.

What really bothered me this year, was how the only thing covered was the McGwire story. I turned on SportsCenter and there was about a half hour round table discussion as to whether or not he should be in or not, and I think Gwynn and Ripken's achievement got 5 minutes of air time. It was a joke, but I guess I shouldn't expect too much from the likes of ESPN these days.

Really doesn't interest me that much. Seems like a popularity contest as much as anything. A few years ago these media types were worshipping McGwire and following his every move. Now because he used steroids in an era when a bunch of players did he has become a pariah. Bunch of self-righteous ....

Maybe the real disdain for McGwire is that he is a constant reminder that they(the baseball writers) were all asleep at the wheel as they failed to uncover and report the story on steroids as it was actually happening or that he is a reminder of their complicity in pushing it under the rug.
    Last edited by flyer85; 01-10-2007 at 04:33 PM.

I think one of the reasons I feel this way is because writers vote for it, and it was basically started by them.
    Actually the writers didn't start it. It was created to coincide with the Faux 100th anniversary of the invention of baseball. It was also created out of the down time and need to create market buzz for the game and Cooperstown. Up until the early thirties baseball didn't spend too much time thinking about the past or what was going on prior to the 1900's.

Around this time more name players started to die and older folks longing for the simpler days of their youth started asking what has become of..... and things like that. Thus we have the Hall of Fame.

The voting for players has a long and soiled history, one that involves as much cronyism from baseball executives and old timers then stupid grandstand moves like the Chicago writer made this week. In fact the writers haven't always had a say at all about who gets in.

The election process is a mess, and Bill James attacks that in Politics of Glory, but it doesn't take away what a great place the HOF is. I've been there and it was great, and I plan on going back. Plus the back end of the place hold a plethora of stuff that any baseball historian would die to get their hands on. And they can if they ask.

Let me clarify, the HOF and the history on display is awesome. The process of election causes me not to be interested as much in the players enshrined. The HOF is a great place for baseball history and would still be even if it didn't enshrine individual players.

I'm just mad Blyleven got screwed again.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Let me clarify, the HOF and the history on display is awesome. The process of election causes me not to be interested as much in the players enshrined. The HOF is a great place for baseball history and would still be even if it didn't enshrine individual players.
    My feelings exactly. I hope it didn't come out that I don't like the physical place. Been there only once in my life (only 22), and I hope to make it back there soon, when I can take lots of pictures and remember more things.

Turn Off Ads?