Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is RedsZone's #9 prospect?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jared Burton

0 0%
  • Jon Coutlangus

0 0%
  • Chris Dickerson

0 0%
  • Danny Dorn

0 0%
  • Phil Dumatrait

0 0%
  • Carlos Fisher

0 0%
  • Richie Gardner

0 0%
  • Jerry Gil

1 1.00%
  • Carlos Guevara

1 1.00%
  • Tonys Gutierrez

0 0%
  • Josh Hamilton

19 19.00%
  • Norris Hopper

0 0%
  • Paul Janish

7 7.00%
  • Bobby Livingston

0 0%
  • Milton Loo

33 33.00%
  • Derek Lutz

1 1.00%
  • Calvin Medlock

9 9.00%
  • Wirfin Obispo

0 0%
  • Logan Parker

1 1.00%
  • Tyler Pelland

2 2.00%
  • Josh Ravin

2 2.00%
  • Adam Rosales

0 0%
  • Brad Salmon

1 1.00%
  • David Shafer

11 11.00%
  • Cody Strait

3 3.00%
  • B.J. Szymanski

1 1.00%
  • Craig Tatum

0 0%
  • Daryl Thompson

0 0%
  • Justin Turner

2 2.00%
  • Sean Watson

6 6.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Is RedsZone's #9 Prospect?

Who Is RedsZone's #9 Prospect?

So far:

1. Homer Bailey
    2. Jay Bruce
    3. Joey Votto
    4. Johnny Cueto
    5. Travis Wood
    6. Drew Stubbs
    7. Chris Valaika
    8. Sam LeCure

Lots of votes in the #8 poll; I hope this means that people are having fun with this....

I added Tonys Gutierrez to this poll because 30 is a nice round number and because I wanted to call attention to his career .398 OBP.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Who Is RedsZone's #9 Prospect?

I went with Milton Loo. I like his tools. Here is his scouting report for those who have yet to see it.

Scouting Report: Loo was the first prep player picked out of Hawaii in 2004, and he's been the best prospect in Arizona's wood-bat junior-college conference the last two seasons. He had led Yavapai to a 49-10 record and No. 2 national ranking into early May, though he wasn't the team's best player statistically. Loo, whose native island of Molokai has no stoplights, entices scouts with a five-tool potential. Though his present power remains below-average, his ability to cover the plate, make consistent, hard contact and repeat his short stroke make makes hitting his best tool, and his raw power could profile him for third base. He moved to that position at Yavapai, but scouts agree he could play short or any other infield position as a pro thanks to above-average arm strength, excellent athleticism, good range and solid infield actions. If Loo's effort and performance were more consistent, he'd rank among the nation's top position players. He's a plus runner and solid baserunner but doesn't run out ground balls as often as scouts want to see. After being bothered by a strained thumb and gimpy ankle in 2005, Loo missed time late this spring when his elbow flared up. It was diagnosed as nerve irritation, and he returned to DH in the postseason. Loo's durability will factor into whether the Reds--who reportedly offered him more than $200,000 last summer--make another run at him.

Medlock for me. of course you probably could have guessed that.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I've got Loo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Loo may be good, but he hasn't played above the GCL, where he beat up on a league with a lot of kids fresh out of high school. In general, I don't think guys like that belong in a top 10. He strikes me as a "let's see what he does in Dayton" guy.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Looks like Cody Strait is easily forgotten.

As much fun as it was watching Chris Valaika set the hitting-streak record in the PL this past year, I would generally not put someone like him in a top-ten list unless the organizational talent level was very thin. That said, a decent 2007 at Dayton would put him on the charts without a doubt.

To me personally Loo is the board's most overrated prospect. I just don't get the huge amount of love for him. Though I'd be perfectly happy to be the one who's wrong on this one.

I voted for Hamilton. This is getting to the part where I think the potential of Hamilton's talent is ready to rank him. Loo and Dorn and Turner were considerations at this point.

I just think there are too many rookie league guys. So I narrowed it to the relievers and Hamilton. It is hard to include Hamilton since he is a Rule 5 guy, may be returned to TB, status is very uncertain.

So I went with Shafer, who seems to have the most support among the relievers.

Go Shafer.

I was originally planning on voting for Milton Loo, but I've changed my mind due to his lack of professional games so far. Hopefully Loo comes out with a solid 2007 minor league season and asserts himself in the top 10 next season, but until then, I'll vote for a few others before voting for him.

David Shafer gets my vote in this poll.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

For me, it's between Janish, Watson, and Strait. Strait's toolsy explosion last year makes him intriguing, but the fact that he's striking out a ton and is slightly old for his level tempers my enthusiasm. I love Watson's arm, and he had a legitimately nice debut, but judging from his college stats, I'd rather see him perform(hopefully as a starter) at low A before I get too excited.

Janish managed to cut back on some strikeouts last year and ended up with a pretty nice offensive season. If his fielding is as good as people say it is, he'll have some value as long as his bat doesn't flame out Juan Castro style.

I went with Lutz. Pretty good debut and I just have a gut feeling.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Problem for me is, if I set aside the rookie league guys on the notion of insufficient evidence -- and Hamilton may as well go into that category for all we know about what we'll get -- I'm left with guys I have a hard time picturing being anything but fringe major-leaguers. So I'm going to reach into the most recent draft anyway, and just to be contrarian I'm going to vote for Ravin. He's light-years away from a big-league pitcher, but I liked the way the kid kept missing bats (although he missed home plate a lot too) even after the bump from the GCL to Billings as an 18-year-old.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Shafer again for me. I like the potential of some of these guys, but I can't put guys with so little experience over guys who are virtually ready to go today.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Islandred, I like Ravin a lot too. He can bring the heat (hit 96 this summer in Billings) and brings 2 offspeed pitches to the plate as well. He is rough around the edges with his control right now, but he is someone I think we need to keep an eye on next year.
    As for Cody Strait, again he is someone who may be the most intruiging prospect in the system. He has shown very good power in the FSL and he stole 50 bases this year....

Turn Off Ads?