Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is RedsZone's #9 prospect?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jared Burton

0 0%
  • Jon Coutlangus

0 0%
  • Chris Dickerson

0 0%
  • Danny Dorn

0 0%
  • Phil Dumatrait

0 0%
  • Carlos Fisher

0 0%
  • Richie Gardner

0 0%
  • Jerry Gil

1 1.00%
  • Carlos Guevara

1 1.00%
  • Tonys Gutierrez

0 0%
  • Josh Hamilton

19 19.00%
  • Norris Hopper

0 0%
  • Paul Janish

7 7.00%
  • Bobby Livingston

0 0%
  • Milton Loo

33 33.00%
  • Derek Lutz

1 1.00%
  • Calvin Medlock

9 9.00%
  • Wirfin Obispo

0 0%
  • Logan Parker

1 1.00%
  • Tyler Pelland

2 2.00%
  • Josh Ravin

2 2.00%
  • Adam Rosales

0 0%
  • Brad Salmon

1 1.00%
  • David Shafer

11 11.00%
  • Cody Strait

3 3.00%
  • B.J. Szymanski

1 1.00%
  • Craig Tatum

0 0%
  • Daryl Thompson

0 0%
  • Justin Turner

2 2.00%
  • Sean Watson

6 6.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who Is RedsZone's #9 Prospect?

Re: Who Is RedsZone's #9 Prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    The issue isn't playing baseball, it's living in a foreign country without his family and support system around him.
    Living in Sarasota without family around him won't be any easier. As for support, they've got coaching staffs in winter ball just like they do in the minors.

Plus, if the team thought he's ready make some sort of breakthrough, then why not pay extra to give him some sort of support system in winter ball? That strikes me as an easy to solve problem if it's the only hurdle he's facing at the moment. It seems to me that the Reds haven't deemed his talent to be special enough to warrant a unique solution.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think I read where his family is going to be with him at all times to keep him out of trouble.

I don't understand why everyone has fallen in love with Valaika based on what he did in rookie ball, but Dorn gets no love despite shredding the same league to pieces. I like Valaika more because his bat could have more of an impact as a middle infielder, but Dorn seems like a much more complete hitter at this point. I don't know if he makes my top 10, but he'd be #1 on my most underrated list.

I like Valaika due to his bat speed, position and all around package over Dorn.... I think I sell Dorn short right now, but I just dont put him in the same class as Valaika...

I voted Cody Strait for the #8 prospect and again for #9. 45% of his hits were for extra bases, he stole 50, and, if I remember correctly, he was our best defender in the minors. His age doesn't really bother me; he's made a level each year and could reasonably have been moved to AA for the latter part of this season. He really bears watching this season. With the combination of extra base hits and ability to steal, he doesn't need to raise his OBP very much to become a terrific #2 hitter.

I'm voted for Janish as #8, so I guess I have to vote for him again here.

He's older, but I like his defense tremendously. He is closer to MLB (maybe not in Cincy though) than most people think.
    Stop! Heisey time!

I think I sell Dorn short right now, but I just dont put him in the same class as Valaika...
    I'm not saying they're in the same class, because a solid bat up the middle is a heck of a lot of more valuable than a solid bat in left field, but I just find it odd that the same people who rave about Valaika's pro debut never seem to give Dorn any credit despite a better season. Valaika is my #9 prospect and I'm guessing Dorn would fall somewhere in the 15-20 range. Next year will be big for both of them sa far as my personal confidence goes.

I picked Parker just because he was a local boy and some what of a sleeper. He exploded at first and kind of cooled off at the end. This draft class could be very interesting along with Loo. At least it seems like WK found some kids that can swing the bat a little.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I voted Cody Strait for the #8 prospect and again for #9. 45% of his hits were for extra bases, he stole 50, and, if I remember correctly, he was our best defender in the minors. His age doesn't really bother me; he's made a level each year and could reasonably have been moved to AA for the latter part of this season. He really bears watching this season. With the combination of extra base hits and ability to steal, he doesn't need to raise his OBP very much to become a terrific #2 hitter.
    Strait looks like a tools freak to me. 3rd year in the pros and he's only in high A - that kind of scares me. That said, his ISOP is and SB rate and % are great. Add in that the FSL is pretty pitcher friendly and I think you might be on to something Hokie. I haven't heard much about Strait, but if he plays in Chattanooga this year, he could be a break-out guy. If he get that average up 20-25 points and maintain his power and speed rates, suddenly he starts looking like a monster in the making.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

How about adding Rojas; 3-1 1.07 era 42 ip 63 so in low A. Pretty solid.

I can't see Janish anywhere in the top 10 myself.

P.S. I've been wrong a time or two.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Dorn was a 22-year-old 32nd round draft pick in rookie ball. Valaika was a 21-year-old 3rd round pick. If you combine those with Valaika being a middle infielder, I think that's going to explain why there's so much more hype following Valaika.

Turn Off Ads?