Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Griffey in the HOF, Mariner or Red?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Seattle Mariners

76 85.39%
  • Cincinnati Reds

13 14.61%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking ahead, which team does Griffey represent in the HOF?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Looking ahead, which team does Griffey represent in the HOF?

Mariners or Reds?

Discuss.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Looking ahead, which team does Griffey represent in the HOF?

He spent 12 seasons in Seattle and it's impossible to argue that they were anything but his best years. Mind you, I think players ought to be able to pick what team they represent.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I'd think it would have to be Seattle, seeing how he never really did much as a Red.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    He spent 12 seasons in Seattle and it's impossible to argue that they were anything but his best years. Mind you, I think players ought to be able to pick what team they represent.
    I thought they got to choose. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I thought the player had the choice.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

i would think the only way Junior goes in as a Red is if somehow the Reds were to win a World Series while he was here. just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I thought they got to choose. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I thought the player had the choice.
    They changed it a few years back. The HOF now predetermines what cap you wear. Given the amount of time he spent in Seattle and what he did there, Jr.'s a lock to wear a Mariners cap under the current system.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post

I was under that impression, as well. If so, I would not be surprised to see him chose his home team, though I do believe he deservedly appreciates Seattle a whole lot.

The Mariners as it stands now, but the next couple of years could have a lot to do with it. If Griffey stays moderately healthy and wins a Series or two with the Reds, then I would think the tide would shift.

What? Why are y'all laughing?

Mmm...seriously, he's going in as a Mariner, but if he hits a few more milestones in Cincinnati (if he's healthy enough to go well over 600, say), there's still a chance for a Reds cap.

edit: Texasdave already made this point. I'm a lil tipsy.

edit2: And M2 is right, the Hall now chooses which cap a player wears.

Ok, I've now read the whole thread.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Seattle, without a doubt. That's where his great years were spent.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    They changed it a few years back. The HOF now predetermines what cap you wear.
    We can all thank Tampa and Wade Boggs for that one.

Seattle, he was Seattle baseball, they deserve it a lot more then Cincy does.
    Go Gators!

No discussion. By far his greatest impact on the game was as a Mariner.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

griffey basically was baseball in seattle for a decade. he'll go in as a mariner, barring a truly miraculous run these next few years in Cincinnati.

i do think they would let griffey pick. the only reason the HOF changed the rules was because Wayde Boggs signed a contract stating that he would go in as a Devil Ray. i think that if the player's choice is reasonable, the Hall will go along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    i do think they would let griffey pick. the only reason the HOF changed the rules was because Wayde Boggs signed a contract stating that he would go in as a Devil Ray. i think that if the player's choice is reasonable, the Hall will go along with it.
    Unfortunately (depending on how you look at it), the rules are the rules, and unless they change the rules I don't think the Hall will be bending them for any player. You say that the Hall will go along with a player's choice if it's "reasonable"...but if it's reasonable, it's generally what the Hall will be picking anyway. The Boggs thing was an isolated incident that had a lot to do with the rule change, yes, but not entirely, and he's not the reason they've stuck with it.

I approve of it, actually...players should be in the Hall based on baseball achievement and its place in history, not anything personal, and the Hall is qualified to judge that.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    The Boggs thing was an isolated incident that had a lot to do with the rule change,
    I thought Tampa had offered that deal to anyone with half a shot at the Hall, and that's why they stepped in. I remember Canseco getting the same deal (not that it mattered), maybe I'm remembering wrong but I thought Tampa had done that multiple times in an attempt to get publicity.

Turn Off Ads?