Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TW high speed internet

TW high speed internet

Anyone have this? What is your opinion of it. I have Verizon DSL and I am about to dump it. I continually have to power cycle to regain connection. And the speed rerally fluctuates. It took me a little over 48 hours to download a Yonder show that should have taken part of a night. They have sent me 7 modems and came out twice to look at the lines. I told them to stop throwing modems at me and fix the problem. The last time they came out, I could not connect, but the guy had this really old DSL modem about the size of a shoe box and it worked great. I am about done with them- they are coming out tomorrow again. Since the last time they came, not only is my DSL still screwy, but my phone line is really full of static, although it is a nice touch when the in-laws call.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: TW high speed internet

I have TW high speed internet. While I'm not particularly fond of their business practices or reliability, right now, I wouldn't give up my Roadrunner for anything.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I never have any problems with my road runner. With my previous DSL I would have to reset the modem occasionally...

And while you're at it, I highly recommend time warner's phone service.

I have Roadrunner and love it. I work from home so I need it for business just as much as plesure and it's almost never down. Every once in a great while (and it's a while) I need to unplug the modem and plug back in but thats pretty rare.

In a different home I started having trouble and they had to come out three times to fix the problem. But they came out promptly, and ultimatley strung a dedicated line, strung a new line from the house to the pole and replaced several electronic doo-dads on poles up the line from my house. They finally found the problem 3 or 4 poles up from my house where some connection equipment had corroded and failed. They definatley went the extra mile in that case.

I had it for awhile in our temporary housing. I liked it, and had no problems.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I have Verizon DSL (only $14.95 a month) and I love it. I've never had a problem with it.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    I have Verizon DSL (only $14.95 a month) and I love it. I've never had a problem with it.
    Ditto - except I pay $29.99 for the "upgraded" DSL from Verizon.

And, I'll be heading back to the $19.99 plan in a few months.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Cable modems rule. If you download a lot of large files, it's well worth the extra money.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I've had RoadRunner for ages - late '99 or so. I've had to change my modem once - mainly because the thing was simply too old to operate anymore.
    My time outs are rare - perhaps a couple of times a year when there is a serious power surge. Of course, living literally one house over from their Piqua office helps a lot.

We do the TW internet, digital cable, and VoIP phone thing. Usually works great and it beats any alternative.

Every so often, teh intranets slows down some because of all the network traffic in our neighborhood (like between 7-10 PM). And we periodically encounter some "pixellation" on our digital cable when the MPEG2 protocol lags behind. TW is supposed to come out next week to look at these issues.

My biggest beef with them is phone support. It regularly takes 30-45 minutes of waiting on hold to get through. I have some stories to tell about Roy getting a little hot about this.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Cable modems rule. If you download a lot of large files, it's well worth the extra money.
    Yep, we get 2 dedicated IP's for $60 a month, with both my wife and me working at home we just write it off at tax time. Upload is bit slower then download, which sucks because I'm usually moving the big files out instead of in.

Pedro just switched to cable after sucking through a couple years of DSL.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I have the cable/internet/digiphone package. All three are outstanding. Only beef i have is the same as Roy. It's time to shave again after waiting through a tech support call. With as much downloading/uploading as I do, I'd be lost with anything less than cable high speed.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

If you ever want action, call the main switchboard at TW and ask to be connected to the call center shift supervisor.

You probably won't get them directly, but you can leave a voice mail. I did this not long ago leaving a message threatening toe-to-toe nuclear combat with the Rooskies after <insert long story here>.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Well supposedly it is fixed. They came out yesterday about 4:15, and he said it was something wrong on the pole. He went up it, and then up one about half a block away, and disappeared. I had no phone or DSL at all. I called them 90 minutes later and they haad no word from him or anything- they had no idea where he went. They sent another guy out today, and he went up the pole and said it was all fixed. We shall see....
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I had recurring outages with TW that their support folks kept trying to blame on my network hardware.

I switched to AT&T DSL in November and have not had any more problems with recurring outages, despite using the very same hardware that TW support wouldn't stop blaming for my problems. The slightly-lower connection speed is not noticeable on downloads and my upload speed is faster.

I had to pay $200 to get DSL installed by a tech since I have a wired security system at my house, but my monthly bill is $15 less. I have to say that it's really sweet to open my cable bill now and see it well under $100/month again.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?