Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: David Beckham to the MLS!!!

Re: David Beckham to the MLS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I'm going to see him play in Denver on Sunday.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/news;_yl...galaxy-beckham

2. Turn Off Ads?

Understandable, but I feel for ya, cc.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Disappointing. They were only $12 tickets, and I'm not a big soccer fan. Would have been nice to tell my grandkids I saw David Beckham play...

Chili's future grandkids: "WTF was David Beckham? . . ."
    Stick to your guns.

Beckham is still the man. I'm standing behind my assertion he is easily the best player in the league.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

So David Beckham's MLS contract expires at the end of next month. The MLS playoffs start this weekend and the LA Galaxy are the favorite to win the MLS Cup after having the best record for the second year in a row. However the Galaxy are yet to win, or for that matter play for, the MLS Cup since Beckham came over.

I'm a little biased as I live in LA and am a big LA Galaxy fan, but I guess after reading this 5 year old thread, my question is how much has the MLS or soccer in general come along in the past five years?

I personally think it is doing quite well. Both the men's and women's World Cups has fantastic ratings and interest. The MLS has expanded and will have 20 teams next season. The league just set and attendance record and signed a new TV deal with NBC Sports. The expansion in the Pacific Northwest has been amazing. Over 66,000 people attended the Seattle Sounders game last week for Kasey Keller's last match. The MLS continues to build more soccer specific stadiums in urban areas and have gotten away from their failed suburban marketing strategy. Real Salt Lake played in the Financials of the Champions League this year and three teams (LA, Seattle, Toronto) have qualified for the knock out rounds this season, so the league is doing better on an international scale. Overall the quality of play I think has improved. Its not top shelf La Liga or EPL, but it is certainly watchable and in many cases good, exciting soccer being played IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    So David Beckham's MLS contract expires at the end of next month. The MLS playoffs start this weekend and the LA Galaxy are the favorite to win the MLS Cup after having the best record for the second year in a row. However the Galaxy are yet to win, or for that matter play for, the MLS Cup since Beckham came over.

I'm a little biased as I live in LA and am a big LA Galaxy fan, but I guess after reading this 5 year old thread, my question is how much has the MLS or soccer in general come along in the past five years?

I personally think it is doing quite well. Both the men's and women's World Cups has fantastic ratings and interest. The MLS has expanded and will have 20 teams next season. The league just set and attendance record and signed a new TV deal with NBC Sports. The expansion in the Pacific Northwest has been amazing. Over 66,000 people attended the Seattle Sounders game last week for Kasey Keller's last match. The MLS continues to build more soccer specific stadiums in urban areas and have gotten away from their failed suburban marketing strategy. Real Salt Lake played in the Financials of the Champions League this year and three teams (LA, Seattle, Toronto) have qualified for the knock out rounds this season, so the league is doing better on an international scale. Overall the quality of play I think has improved. Its not top shelf La Liga or EPL, but it is certainly watchable and in many cases good, exciting soccer being played IMHO.
    I think the MLS has made great strides in the past five years. Beckham was a waste, but expanding to markets with a strong interest in soccer rather than trying to court big markets with a strong latino base has been a big win. In the past, they kept toying around with putting teams back in Florida, where it already failed, creating Chivas, and trying to get a second NY team. Once they stopped that and started looking at markets with a passion for the sport (Philadelphia, Pacific NW, Toronto and Montreal), attendance and tv ratings climbed. They are also seeking out better players from around the world rather than sticking a few washed up Europeans on a team full of college scrubs. The academy system is really starting to bear fruit as well.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I love the game, but I don't follow MLS too much, (baseball centric during that time)

Dang... the Timbers own this town though.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I love the game, but I don't follow MLS too much, (baseball centric during that time)

Dang... the Timbers own this town though.
    I'm going to try and make it up for the Galaxy Timbers game in the next couple years. The atmosphere at those games looks amazing.

MLS Cup tonight at 9 est. Heading down to the stadium soon.

Beckham finally has his MLS Cup. Pretty impressive that he played with a torn hamstring.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Beckham finally has his MLS Cup. Pretty impressive that he played with a torn hamstring.
    He played pretty well too. He certainly wasn't as active as he's been most of this season, but his passing and organization of the midfield was spot on. It was a lot of fun being at the game last night. Really great atmosphere. I hope Becks comes back for one more run, but I guess we'll know soon.

Turn Off Ads?