Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: David Beckham to the MLS!!!

Re: David Beckham to the MLS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB View Post
    He has obviously never seen David Beckham take a free kick.

I am starting to like soccer more and more.

IMHO, the rest of the world is not going to take American soccer seriously until this country can prove they are on par with the rest of the world by winning a World Cup.

What I don't understand is it seems like a ton of kids play soccer growing up, and it's become a pretty popular sport for young kids hence the "soccer mom" label, etc. Maybe that isn't the case anymore, but I can remember more kids playing soccer than little league when I was that age. So where is the talent in the US? Why aren't these kids growing up and becoming great athletes in the sport of soccer? My thought was by now we would be seeing some pretty good athletes on the national team, and going much farther in the World Cup than we are now.
    Well, I think the fact that the US is qualifying for the WC every time now is a vast improvement over the past. Compared to the past, the US team is much better than it was. The US failed to qualify for the WCs held from 1954-86, but has been there every WC since 1990. 2006 was disappointing, but I'll be interested to see how things go between now and the 2010 WC.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I watched Frankie Simek play again yesterday for my team. How he has not been considered for the U.S national side i'll never know. (it's because he's not playing in the premiership)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Does that mean in about 4-6 years you might really start seeing the US pipeline improve? After all the hype from the quarterfinals in 2002?

I'm not sure the Gold cup shouldn't be first priority. Yes its big fish small pond. But I think that's better than small fish no pond.

If you play your best time in the Copa Libradores, against a killer draw, and lose in group play. Then go out and lose in the Gold Cup with a B squad, you're screwed twice.

What will help is with more and more of the National team quality players in Europe, this won't necessarily affect their schedules to play in both tournaments. On the other hand, it's kinda hard to take Landon Donovan away from the Galaxy for basically 4 weeks.
    No one cares who wins the Gold Cup. It's already no pond. The only thing that means less than being the best team in North America is being the best team in Asia, but the U.S. keeps hosting the Gold Cup in front of throngs of non-existent fans like it means something. You play your A team against a killer draw in Copa America and your A team gets better. You move your program forward. A semifinal or a big win or two there goes a lot farther than beating up Guatemala.

If the U.S. wants to field a national that actually matters in this sport, then Copa America is the place to test its mettle, to set the standard for where it needs to go in the next three years. It can go back to CA in 2009 (I believe that's the next planned year for the event) and then get a real feel for what kind of progress has been made leading into the next World Cup.

Mexico's going to send it's A team to CA, not the Gold Cup. In fact that competition is where Mexico's made it's biggest splash on the world stage and it's why no matter how many times the U.S. beats Mexico head-to-head, the U.S. program still gets no respect. You've got to beat big teams in big competitions and Mexico's got notches against Brazil and Argentina in the past two CA competitions.

I agree about more players in Europe, but at some point they have to test themselves as a team and the Gold Cup is a creampuff event.

I wouldn't compare the impact of France's '98 World Cup win on its home soil against the Brazilians to the U.S. quarterfinal in 2002. The two events are galaxies apart. I spent a week in France last year. Every kid seemed to have a ball on his or her foot. That win changed a nation, turned it from a country where soccer was played and followed to one where soccer became part of the national identity. The closest U.S. equivalent is probably the first Super Bowl.

Though the U.S. program has been getting better at a slow, steady pace for a few decades now, but the next step is a big one and Gold Cups aren't going to get the team there. In fact, part of the next step should be that the U.S. B team is good enough to win the Gold Cup.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

[QUOTE=M2;1249248]I think you mean Copa America, Liberatadores is a club competition. Unfortunately the U.S. will be playing a B squad in Copa America. The national side's new coach, Bob Bradley, has made the CONCACAF Gold Cup his priority, which indicates to me the team is still afflicted with big-fish-small-pond syndrome and that Bradley lacks the vision to bring the national program forward.[QUOTE]

Let me try to articulate what I failed to say clearly before.
    I know that I mixed together two points - the future of the US national team and the future of American soccer, but I what I wanted to say was that I hope the US clubs play in the Libertadores so as a country we can have a measure for our professional teams. Right now US clubs only play a few friendlies against clubs from other countries, and I think this omission makes it difficult to evaluate US soccer's progress.
    I agree with you that the US does not embrace the Copa America competition, which is a shame. It is a competition that the US should throw itself into - again, as a measure of progress. However the team places in the competition is less important than what the US learns - the WC happens too infrequently to be the only tool of measurement for US soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by RawOwl UK View Post
    I watched Frankie Simek play again yesterday for my team. How he has not been considered for the U.S national side i'll never know. (it's because he's not playing in the premiership)
    What? You think the U.S. team could use a right back with pace?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    the WC happens too infrequently to be the only tool of measurement for US soccer.
    Exactly

Beckham has been in top form lately. He's an odd duck. His over hype in some ways has under hyped his actual performance and skill set.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Beckham has been in top form lately. He's an odd duck. His over hype in some ways has under hyped his actual performance and skill set.
    He'll probably shine in the U.S. where the pace is a lot slower.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    He'll probably shine in the U.S. where the pace is a lot slower.
    How long will it take him to get frustrated by having Donovan on the end of his passes instead of Van Nistelrooy or Raul or Ronaldo? No knock on Donovan, those are three of the best finishers on the planet.

Talking to my mate (Liverpool fan) at weekend and he was saying that he thinks the next big name to go to the states from England could be Robbie Fowler.

Not sure if he is recognised as a big name over there though.

Quote Originally Posted by RawOwl UK View Post
    Talking to my mate (Liverpool fan) at weekend and he was saying that he thinks the next big name to go to the states from England could be Robbie Fowler.

Not sure if he is recognised as a big name over there though.
    If he does the "coke" celebration than he will become a household name.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

What would have really turned things upside down is if they could have gotten several players to come to the MLS. Maybe Thierry Henry, Wayne Rooney, Joe Cole etc.. That would never happen though.

There will probably be a boatload of higher profile players arriving this summer after the Euro leagues finish their seasons.

I'm not sure exactly who will be coming over, but there will be a significant migration.

I think just about every team will try to utilize the "single player exemption" clause of their new CBA.

Turn Off Ads?