Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: David Beckham to the MLS!!!

Re: David Beckham to the MLS!!!

Quote from LA Galaxy's owner Tim Leiweke, president & CEO of AEG (they own the team):

"David Beckham will have a greater impact on soccer in America than any athlete has ever had on a sport globally. David is truly the only individual that can build the bridge between soccer in America and the rest of the world."
    ...for $250M, you'd better hope so Tim. Because he ain't Pele, and Pele couldn't build that bridge.

2. Turn Off Ads?

They could have signed probably 5 players all better than David Beckham for that much moola. WOW.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    for $250M, you'd better hope so Tim. Because he ain't Pele, and Pele couldn't build that bridge.
    Good point.

I also wonder if MLS owners have come to grips to global communications. My guess is that if soccer fandom takes off in this country, MLS stands to be third in the pecking order behind the EPL and Mexican Primera Division.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Good point.

I also wonder if MLS owners have come to grips to global communications. My guess is that if soccer fandom takes off in this country, MLS stands to be third in the pecking order behind the EPL and Mexican Primera Division.
    In my area you could say that EPL, the Spanish League and Serie A all rank ahead of MLS. Add to that Argentina, Brazil and Mexico.

He'll help, no doubt. But at that cost? I think Roberto Baggio is looking for a pair of spikes as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Did you say that right in relation to baseball? I think our marginal players go over there and excel, while their stars come over here to prove they might be as good as advertised.

Soccer is dead on though.
    Whoops -- you're right Joseph. I meant the inverse. I'll correct the original post. If Jeter, ARod, Manny, Bonds, Clemens, and heck, Matsuzaka aren't worth 25 million... I guess Michael Jordan made 33 million for two years, but he's one arguably the most well known and marketable athletes in the history of the world. Beckham is big, but Jordan big? Maybe...
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 01-11-2007 at 05:07 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Put me in the "no" column.

Wasn't Freddy Adu supposed to be the savior of soccer two to three years ago?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Just my opinion, but this has "MLS marketing expense" written all over it. I don't believe for a second that the Galaxy is footing all the cash for this, or that the other MLS teams would give up their cost certainty so one team could go spend $50 million a year on a famous player. Of course, we don't know how much of that contract is guaranteed cash and how much of it is based on incentives or is just fictional money, e.g. huge NFL roster bonuses that both sides know are never going to be paid.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Galaxy as a team isn't anywhere near paying 50 million a year for Beckham.

That's something a little mischaracterized in the press today.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

In Oz they have disclosed some portions of Becks salary and the base is nowhere near 50 a year. There are set benchmarks which have to be met. Some are performance related on Becks side and others are merchandise and attendance related as well. If those targets are met then its 50.

Supposedly when Becks signed with Real all Real merchandise sold out on that day. Also its interesting that Real has just recently taken over from ManU as the richest soccer club in the world.

Still 50 for a guy who doesn't make the Real run on squad or the English national squad is like signing Bernie Williams to play CF for 20 milliion a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    In Oz they have disclosed some portions of Becks salary and the base is nowhere near 50 a year. There are set benchmarks which have to be met. Some are performance related on Becks side and others are merchandise and attendance related as well. If those targets are met then its 50.

Supposedly when Becks signed with Real all Real merchandise sold out on that day. Also its interesting that Real has just recently taken over from ManU as the richest soccer club in the world.

Still 50 for a guy who doesn't make the Real run on squad or the English national squad is like signing Bernie Williams to play CF for 20 milliion a year.
    Only if Bernie is easily regarded as the best player in his league though. The deal works for LA in many ways, IMO. They get the best player in the league and all the icing.

And I do regard Beckham as the best player in the league. He's still extremely valuable on set pieces and his lack of form has been a little over exaggerated.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Report: 5 yrs. - $250M. That's some serious cake.
    Coming to theaters - "Spend It Like Beckham"

let me be the first to say that he's HOT:

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Put me in the "no" column.

Wasn't Freddy Adu supposed to be the savior of soccer two to three years ago?
    Freddy Adu could have very easily been the savior of American soccer but he wasn't really given a chance when he still had hype in his corner.

Adu was 14 when he signed with D.C. United. He just didn't have the physical presence to play the game. You are talking about a 14 year old kid playing a man's game weighing in at a 130 lbs at best when the average professional is closer to 170. He couldn't brush off weak tackles and this severely limited his opportunity on the field.

Can't say that I blame the coach IMO.

Also Beckham coming over could possibly be great for our league. We paid him entirely too much money but in Europe he is the equivalent of McGwire in '98 or Griffey in the mid 90's as far as popularity. A lot of this signing is to get European soccer fans interested in our game as well as supply a better product on the field so possibly our own fans will watch the MLS. Myself I refuse to watch the MLS because the soccer is barely a step up from collegiate ball. I have personally played with a handful of players from D.C. United and was not nearly as impressed with their skill compared to mine as I would have been had it been a major league pitcher compared to me.

This signing could very well be the beginning of a steady influx of European players into America. If we get enough "star" caliber players the world will take notice.

IMHO
    Last edited by thatcoolguy_22; 01-12-2007 at 09:58 AM. Reason: typo

Does American Soccer really need a "savior?" I've always been of the impression that it is what it is. As long as they are operating profitably and growing the sport, they're doing well. I was concerned about it when teams like Tampa and Miami were folding, but seeing the MLS expand and do well in new cities is encouraging.

After they reach a certain level, the next step is to increase the quality of play. I think more American fans will be drawn in by compelling play on the field rather than the presence of a big name player or two.

However, I do worry about the league becoming a haves/have nots league. I stopped really following MLS when it appeared that top talent was getting allocated more often to teams like LA and DC while it appears that Columbus has to be a little lucky if it wants to land top talents. I haven't really followed the MLS for a few years, so maybe someone could enlighten me. Do they have anyone worth watching? The days of Brian McBride being long gone, is it true that their top goal scorer had only around 5 goals for the season? That's pitiful.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    And I do regard Beckham as the best player in the league. He's still extremely valuable on set pieces and his lack of form has been a little over exaggerated.
    I'll hazard a guess that Dwayne De Rosario is a better player.

Actually, having watched a good number of Real games over the past year, I'll be shocked if Beckham's able to stand out on the pitch in MLS. His pace is evaporating, he's not a good linking player and he doesn't defend well or win balls in the midfield. What he's mostly good for these days is free kicks and long service.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?