Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: David Beckham to the MLS!!!

Re: David Beckham to the MLS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Hence the relief. The LA tabloids aren't even in the same league as the British ones. And they are more concerned with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie and Tom Cruise and Oprah than Beckham.
    True that. But then again, you never know what will happen if they spot Angelina hanging out at Galaxy games.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    True that. But then again, you never know what will happen if they spot Angelina hanging out at Galaxy games.

Posh better hope that doesn't happen. Of course if it does, she could always "comfort" Brad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by RawOwl UK View Post
    Also speaking about Freddy Adu, did you know Man Utd rejected him after a recent trial in Manchester .
    Reported here that Adu turned down their offer because he'd rather play in Spain.

Edit: I was wrong. He can't sign overseas until he's 18, apprently. Teams in Italy also interested.
    BBC: Adu has to wait on Man Utd future
    Teenager Freddy Adu must wait until June to find out if Manchester United will try and sign him, after completing his two-week trial at the club.
    The USA midfielder impressed boss Sir Alex Ferguson, but under UK employment law he cannot make an offer until Adu reaches his 18th birthday next year.

"Freddy has done all right," said Ferguson. "He is a talented boy.

"He'll go back to the US and we'll keep a check on him. When he is 18, we will have to assess what we can do next."

Adu, who was given the nod by his MLS club DC United to attend the trial, has been training with United's academy players at their Carrington training ground.

"What we did was to bring him here to give him an idea of what United was like so he could see the place and see how comfortable he was with it," said Ferguson.

"He is a very confident and good, young boy but there is nothing we can do about him."

The Ghanain-born Adu already enjoys a high profile in the US, where he became the youngest player to represent the national side.

The teenager, who is keen to test his mettle outside the US, has also attracted interest from Chelsea and Reading.
    Last edited by NJReds; 01-14-2007 at 08:36 AM.

Good idea and a step in the right direction.

MADRID, Spain (AP) - David Beckham won't play again for Real Madrid after announcing his departure at the end of the season for the Los Angeles Galaxy of the MLS.

"He is not going to play any more. He will practice, but he is not going to play," coach Fabio Capello said Saturday at a news conference.

Beckham announced this week he will not extend his contract with Real Madrid when it expires in June and is instead leaving for the Galaxy and a five-year deal.

"The player's decision is to go to Los Angeles. He has always been a great professional, but a player who has such a major contract with another team ... we cannot count on him," Capello said. "I think one cannot have the same drive if one is already with another team."

Beckham's spokesman, Simon Oliveira, said the 31-year-old midfielder would "continue to give his full commitment and professionalism to the club."

"David is surprised at the quotes from Fabio Capello, as nobody from the club has informed him of their intentions," Oliveira said.

"As far as David is aware, he has a contract for the remainder of the season and he remains dedicated to the club and its supporters."

Beckham, who joined Madrid from Manchester United in 2003, has said he plans to leave Real Madrid after his contract expires June 30 and to join the Galaxy in August.

"I think one cannot have the same drive if one is already with another team. But I repeat that he is a great professional," Capello said.

"Now he must stay in good physical condition, but we cannot rely on him. I have never had even the smallest problem with Beckham. He has to decide what to do until the end of the season."

The Galaxy did not immediately respond to phone messages early Saturday morning in Los Angeles.
    Seems like a petty move by Capello. He may be one of the great coaches in the world, but his team is falling apart, and there have been reports of dissention among the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler View Post
    Seems like a petty move by Capello. He may be one of the great coaches in the world, but his team is falling apart, and there have been reports of dissention among the players.
    Real looked like a zombie team in its recent losses to Celta and Deportivo. Guti was just about the only Galactico on the field who showed up to play and he went down early in the second game.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Wonder if there's any way we could sneak Robinho onto Becks' plane? Now THAT'D be an acquisition worth crowing about.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    The NFL has the best product going, I think it would be tough to see football go by the wayside in favor of soccer.
    I'm not old enough to remember it, but I'm certain that people found the notion of baseball ever being #2 to any other sport to be something worth chuckling about.

And, as for the best product going -- I like the game of football, but I dislike the NFL's product. The hype-machine is beyond annoying and the "coverage" consists of a bunch of lunkhead ex-jocks with the memories of a goldfish screaming at one another and throwing superlatives out like they're going out of style. It has gotten to the point where I watch the games on Sunday, and then ignore the game for the next 6 days. I know I'm not the only person put off by the 24/7 hysteria.

I'd like something to challenge the NFL and force it to re-evaluate it's business model, because stagnation is bad.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

North American soccer needs more thinking like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    but I dislike the NFL's product. The hype-machine is beyond annoying and the "coverage" consists of a bunch of lunkhead ex-jocks with the memories of a goldfish screaming at one another and throwing superlatives out like they're going out of style. It has gotten to the point where I watch the games on Sunday, and then ignore the game for the next 6 days. I know I'm not the only person put off by the 24/7 hysteria.
    that's pretty much how I feel about it. But on top of the coverage, I'm just about to my tipping point on the players in the NFL. It's gotten to the point where almost every single play someone is pounding their chest or completely belittling an opponent, or some other form of showboating. I despise this crap.

And I think the NFL underestimates the impact fantasy football has had on its continued momentum.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    One idea I've always liked is some sort of cross-pollination between the MFL and MLS. [...]

Perhaps an 8-team Mexican-American Cup or the like. And if we could get at least a qualifying chance at Libertadores, that would be colossal as well.
    I swear to God that I knew nothing about the planned Superliga when I wrote this a week and a half ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    And I think the NFL underestimates the impact fantasy football has had on its continued momentum.
    And gambling.

I have to admit, I'm a bit confused on the makeup of the SuperLiga. It should be the four best teams from the previous season. Right now it's a marketing ploy. It should be a play-in tournament where the best of MLS play the best of the Mexican Premier Division and the winner gets some serious bragging rights.
    Last edited by M2; 01-16-2007 at 01:21 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I have to admit, I'm a bit confused on the makeup of the SuperLiga. It should be the four best teams from the previous season. Right now it's a marketing ploy. It should be a play-in tournament where the best of MLS play the best of the Mexican Premier Division and the winner gets some serious bragging rights.
    It will be next season, this year it appears the organizers sought to bring in the most recognizable/marketable clubs.

My chief difficulty with this is the fact that all the matches are in the US, which to me torpedoes any real credibility the tournament possesses.

Turn Off Ads?