Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Mulder Re-signs with St Louis

Mulder Re-signs with St Louis

Reportedly for a base of 2 years at 13 and with incentives which could go to 3 years at 45 million.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Re: Mulder Re-signs with St Louis

nice size deal.. for what he is capable of the first two years seem about right.

I see all these other teams in the central keeping there talent while at the same time improving their needs.While the Reds just stand pat with what they have.Well the Reds did make one good signing in A. Gon. this off season but they need another starting pitcher very bad.I think if the Reds could some how trade for a starting pitcher to pancake between Harang and Arroyo while keeping there talent on the big league club they could contend.I say talk to the Phillies and Lieber and see what it would take to get him.I say offer Coffey and Wood but only if they can have time to reach a agreement and sign Lieber to a 2 or 3 year extension.You could also offer Standridge,Cueto,and Dino to Cleveland for Westbrook.IF you add either one of those 2 to the rotation and the Reds could be right in the middle of the pack in the central in 07.

I saw this and thought, this guy had a 7+ ERA last year then blew out his arm. The cards signed him for 2 yr 13M? That is awesome! And then to see they signed Ryan Franklin? I think our chances at the division just got a little better!

The Cards have made a lot of bad moves this offseason.
    This is one of them.

IMO the Reds are no worse than the Cards or the Astros.
    The Cubs spent a lot of money but still have huge holes in their pitching.
    The team that scares me the most for 2007 is the Brewers.
    IF Sheets is healthy they could blow the division away.
    If not the Reds will be in the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    I see all these other teams in the central keeping there talent while at the same time improving their needs.While the Reds just stand pat with what they have.Well the Reds did make one good signing in A. Gon. this off season but they need another starting pitcher very bad.I think if the Reds could some how trade for a starting pitcher to pancake between Harang and Arroyo while keeping there talent on the big league club they could contend.I say talk to the Phillies and Lieber and see what it would take to get him.I say offer Coffey and Wood but only if they can have time to reach a agreement and sign Lieber to a 2 or 3 year extension.You could also offer Standridge,Cueto,and Dino to Cleveland for Westbrook.IF you add either one of those 2 to the rotation and the Reds could be right in the middle of the pack in the central in 07.

You might be one of few dissapointed with this signing.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

The Cards essentially gamble $13M to see if he can come back. If he doesn't, it's $13M wasted. If he does, then he'll be paid alot more.

This can never be a great Cards signing, as Mulder, if healthy, will get his money.It can be an acceptable Cards signing, if he proves himself healthy and effective, as they will get good production at a fair price.If he bombs, they waste $13M.

Nothing shows the poor state of pitching more than a $13M gamble on a pitcher coming back from major arm surgery. It wasn't that long ago that a pitcher like Mulder would have had to prove himself sound before he received any guarantee of money. becasue texas and Cleveland were apparently willing to do the same deal.

Im not disappointed that the Reds didnt sign Mulder. IM disappointed that the Reds avent signed anyone that matters besides from A Gon. Lack of player movement is disappointing.

I'm curious what the incentives look like. How quickly do they scale? Is it 5 mil for 180 IP or 100k a start?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?