Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jimbo signs Claussen

Jimbo signs Claussen

Bet he does a good job in that park. Extremely stupid move to just release him like that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jimbo signs Claussen

Nationals signed LHP Brandon Claussen to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

A very good pickup for a team desperately in need of starting pitching depth. Claussen isn't expected to be ready to contend for a rotation spot this spring, but if he can overcome August surgery to repair a partial rotator cuff tear, he could become one of the Nationals' top starters by midseason.

It's amazing how a team with so little pitching depth lets a guy like that away for nothing, while at the same time keeping fodder like Chad Moeller on the roster.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Stupid move by the Reds, especially considering how pitching starved the team is.

According to Baseball Prospectus, Claussen was the 11th unluckiest pitcher in the NL last year.

I think he'll have a nice bounce year in 2008 for the Nats.

Can we please dispense with the myth that pitchers who give up a lot of home runs are magically going to be better pitchers in a big ball park.

No they won't.
    The big ball park means those home runs are going to be doubles(good). It also means many fly outs in the old stadium are going to be base hits(bad) also many singles are going to turn into doubles and doubles into triples(also bad.)

There's also the other matter of facing the guy on the other team. If a pitcher gave up less home runs in Cincinnati, my guess is he'd also give up less home runs in Washington.

The only place this doesn't apply is Colorado where prior to the humidor it was a pitchers nightmare with the huge field and easy home run distance.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    It's amazing how a team with so little pitching depth lets a guy like that away for nothing, while at the same time keeping fodder like Chad Moeller on the roster.
    WayneK makes another move that leaves people scratching their heads. Does JimBo like the Reds GM or what.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Is Claussen injury free and ready to play at this point?
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Is Claussen injury free and ready to play at this point?
    As long as Claussen has the Wang Chung Fastball*, no ball park is going to hold what he tosses up there.

Good point Randy - per and as usual.

*Copyrighted 2006 Johnny Footstool, Inc. All Rights reserved. Void in Vermont.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Id drive a million miles
    To be with you tonight
    So if youre feeling low
    Turn up your radio
    The words we use are strong
    They make reality
    But now the musics on
    Oh baby dance with me

Rip it up - move down
    Rip it up - move it down to the ground
    Rip it up - cool down
    Rip it up - and get the feeling not the word

Oh everybody have fun tonight
    Everybody have fun tonight
    Everybody wang chung tonight
    Everybody have fun tonight
    Everybody wang chung tonight
    Everybody have fun
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

It's really funny how that GM in Washington can't get over sticking it to the Reds. He'll pick up any scraps the Reds give him. He has yet to make any lemonade from those lemons though.

Good luck to Brandon, I really enjoyed him as a Red even though I don't think he came close to his potential. I always remember that great game he pitched against Philly at home last year when I was there. Ryan Howard was the only blemish on a great outing.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Claussen won't be ready till midseason as he recuperates from rotator cuff surgery.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

At this point Claussen is a younger Paul Wilson, in my opinion. The first major arm surgery already robbed him of a lot of his stuff, I doubt the second one is going to suddenly bring it back. I'm afraid his tank is just about empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Can we please dispense with the myth that pitchers who give up a lot of home runs are magically going to be better pitchers in a big ball park.

No they won't.
    The big ball park means those home runs are going to be doubles(good). It also means many fly outs in the old stadium are going to be base hits(bad) also many singles are going to turn into doubles and doubles into triples(also bad.)

There's also the other matter of facing the guy on the other team. If a pitcher gave up less home runs in Cincinnati, my guess is he'd also give up less home runs in Washington.

The only place this doesn't apply is Colorado where prior to the humidor it was a pitchers nightmare with the huge field and easy home run distance.
    Ok, but he'd probably do ok in THIS park too. I can't imagine why Krivsky would just give him away like that. I was hoping he'd somehow end up back here this spring.

Claussen had plenty of chances in Cincinnati. It wasn't working out, and I have a sneaking suspicion that the Reds don't feel good about his recovery. Sometimes a guy has to have a certain makeup to come back from arm surgery and really want it. I don't think they see that in Claussen.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Good luck to Brandon. Seems like a decent guy. However, as a REDS diehard I will not miss him.

3 years in Cincy as a starter (57 GS)...
    5.14 ERA, 1.52 WHIP, 1BB:1.85K ratio.

3 years with that composite is long enough... ask Eric Milton!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Turn Off Ads?