Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Relocating A Team To Portland Makes Sense

Re: Relocating A Team To Portland Makes Sense

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I am down with baseball in a Mexican metropolis. It's a great idea. I know it could get messy from a visa/legal/tax standpoint which is probably a major reason it hasn't been done (plus it's a new law that all Americans must use passports to enter Canada and Mexico), but not undoable, I would think.

Puerto Rico could stand to have a team as well.

Mexico City has a higher altitude than Denver. It'd also be an economic nightmare.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Lets face it, baseball is losing fans to other sports here in America.
    Based on what metrics?

Charlotte, NC. Bring it on.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I don't think there are very many baseball fans in Portland. :
    Actually, this is fairly true. The vast majority of the baseball fans here are the transplants; the Oregon natives are generally not big fans of team sports. Some of the over-35 crowd might follow the Blazers, but that's more out of habit (as the Blazers used to be good way back when a la the Big Red Machine or something). No one seems to really bother following the Mariners, either, even though we get their broadcasts. I could see fans being won over by baseball, but the team would have to be well-run and do things "right" (i.e. local-friendly and not a pack of mercs). Fans completely turned their back on the "Jail Blazer" incarnation of that club and now they're rebuilding to some of the worst attendance in the NBA while Paul Allen thinks about selling the team. (If he does that, chances are very significant the franchise could move. It's seemingly a lot easier for an NBA franchise to move.)

Every single time I've ever been to PGE Park to watch the Beavers play (and I usually went on the cheap beer nights that you would think would draw well), the park hasn't sold more than maybe 6,000 or 7,000 tickets. (The only game I've seen draw well was a Mariners exhibition that sold the park out last March.) That stadium is about eight blocks from my downtown apartment- and I can tell you quite emphatically that any major-league baseball played there is going to have to be on an extremely temporary basis. It holds maybe fifteen thousand as it is, wedged right into the streets just west of downtown between the light rail line and a gigantic health club. It wouldn't even be half the caliber of something like RFK Stadium. PGE Park's location would be excellent for a hypothetical new ballpark, as it's right on the rail line, centrally located, and near entertainment, but I don't know how they'd get enough building space without knocking something down. (And on the other side of the park from the gigantic health club is a not-yet-completed fancy condo complex.)

WOY can go into more detail on the history of Portland baseball in the PCL and such, but all the glory days were a good fifty years ago or more. Without actually looking it up, I'm pretty sure that the current incarnation of the PCL club here is a new thing, because there were several decades in the second half of the 20th century with no team.

Despite all of this negativity, it's simply a matter of time for MLB and Portland. The TV market is larger than one might think because it covers most of the state as well as southern Washington; the metro area is very comparable in size and population to Cleveland (i.e. bigger than Cincinnati but smaller than Columbus). But the city's current mayor (and likely his successors) are adamantly against using any public tax dollars to fund sports stadiums, so any pro-MLB group needs every bit of creativity it can get.

I think Charlotte and the NY/NJ ideas are probably likely to happen first. And they probably should. Both of those markets might be "hungrier". But I'd bet you'll see a Portland team in the next 10-15 years.
    Last edited by Doc. Scott; 01-12-2007 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    You think that you are going to get guys to go play in Tokyo all summer?
    Yeah, honestly, I don't see a whole lot of free agents looking at playing in Japan as an attractive option.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Nah, just a bunch of Braves fans
    Go Gators!

All dyslexics must untie!

"Tampa Bay could move to the National League, where it might develop a rivalry with Atlanta, with Portland's team joining Seattle in the American League West"

Ack!

(what Doc Scott said)

I've been hearing that "3-4 years away..." mantra for 6-8 years...

Generally speaking, Oregonians are participators in summer outdoor activities, as opposed to "spectators"
    Last edited by gm; 01-12-2007 at 05:51 PM.
    Never overlook the obvious

Not as much as you might think. There isn't much love for the city of Atlanta here, and give Charlotte a baseball team in the NL and watch the rivalry heat up. Definitely no love loss between the Panthers and Falcons, and Charlotte seems to have a chip on its shoulder, as a city, when it comes to hearing about Atlanta.

John Wooden

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    "Tampa Bay could move to the National League, where it might develop a rivalry with Atlanta, with Portland's team joining Seattle in the American League West"

Ack!

(what Doc Scott said)

I've been hearing that "3-4 years away..." mantra for 6-8 years...

Generally speaking, Oregonians are participators in summer outdoor activities, as opposed to "spectators"
    Yep, that last line is what I was trying to say and sort of failed to.

I'm sure all of us NL fans would prefer the MLBeavs to be in the NL (I know I personally would even support the dumping of the designated hitter altogether), but I don't really think the larger PDX fanbase will distinguish or care.

Not as much as you might think. There isn't much love for the city of Atlanta here, and give Charlotte a baseball team in the NL and watch the rivalry heat up. Definitely no love loss between the Panthers and Falcons, and Charlotte seems to have a chip on its shoulder, as a city, when it comes to hearing about Atlanta.
    I second this - after living in SC for a few years - no doubt there is a healthy rivalry between Charlotte and Atlanta.

Charlotte's just got to get a ballpark in its' city, not in another state. I guess it's no worse if the Reds played in Covington or Newport.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

There are heated talks about a minor league ballpark, downtown. I don't think they are serious at this point about trying to acquire a major league franchise. The Knights moving downtown is probably going to happen soon.
    Last edited by RANDY IN INDY; 01-13-2007 at 08:29 AM.

John Wooden

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

From the article:

If the Marlins did wind up moving there, MLB could also realign in a way that makes more geographic sense.

Tampa Bay could move to the National League, where it might develop a rivalry with Atlanta, with Portland's team joining Seattle in the American League West. Texas could be shifted to the AL Central -- a change it was promised more than a decade ago -- and Detroit could move to the AL East. Nothing happens easily, or quickly, in MLB, but this makes sense.
    Under the current system, who's going to voluntarily move into a division where they have to deal with the Yankees and Red Sox?

The humane thing to do, given how hard it is to compete with those two, would be to make the AL East the four-team division. Have Tampa Bay take Florida's place in the NL East and the Marlins-turned-Portland-Whatevers go to the AL West. It doesn't solve Texas' time-zone issues but if they've lived with it this long, oh well.
    Not all who wander are lost

Anything the city is involved with will most likely end in a very bad trainwreck.
    If it's anything like the way they do education....they'll have the highest payroll and the worst record. It's uncanny.

I'm involved on a number of advisory committees centered around urban renewal with the Portland Development Commission...and the baseball faction is just ahead of GWBush on the most liked list.

The only way it gets going is to have a regional push. Metro Portland says bleh.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    .......(plus it's a new law that all Americans must use passports to enter Canada and Mexico).......
    I believe it it is actually kind of the other way around. Canada and Mexico don't plan on changing the requirements for USA citizens entering their country but the USA is about to begin requiring it's own citizens to have passports to get back in. This goes into force for people arriving by sea or air supposedly within the next 2 weeks. They have put off for a while longer implementing it for ground crossings because there are thousands and maybe even hundreds of thousands of folks who cross regularly on business or to vist family (imagine Detroit/ Windsor for example or all the truckers who make international runs) and who don't have passports as of yet.

However, getting a passport isn't that big of a deal. You need a certified copy of your birth certificate (i.e one with an imprinted government seal). They cost about $20 if you need to get one. Plus you'll also need a mug shot photo (available at Walgreens, CVS etc for around $10). Either download the application or pick one up at most any post office. Fill out the application and take it (along with the BC and mug shot) to a post office that processes them. Turn in your application, give them I believe it is $85, and in about 6 weeks you should receive a passport in the mail (good for 10 years).
    Last edited by jnwohio; 01-12-2007 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Technically, it's not that far away for the teams on the West Coast...:
    I really look forward to the 5:10 AM East Coast start times.
    Oh yea'! I would be down with that. An NL Central team would be really sweet.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Turn Off Ads?