Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
From the article:

Under the current system, who's going to voluntarily move into a division where they have to deal with the Yankees and Red Sox?

The humane thing to do, given how hard it is to compete with those two, would be to make the AL East the four-team division. Have Tampa Bay take Florida's place in the NL East and the Marlins-turned-Portland-Whatevers go to the AL West. It doesn't solve Texas' time-zone issues but if they've lived with it this long, oh well.
What I want to know is, why Detroit to the AL East and not Cleveland? Cleveland is farther east than Detroit and the fans already have a strong dislike for the Yankees.

As far as making the AL East the four-team division, I don't think you could do that with the current unbalanced schedule format. It would mean more games against the Yankees and Red Sox for the Blue Jays and Orioles, and it would subject the rest of the country to more Red Sox/Yankees games on ESPN. If I'm Toronto or Baltimore, I'd prefer more teams in the division rather than less.