Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fun facts Cincinnati

Re: Fun facts Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    This may be common knowledge, but speaking of Union terminal, the beautiful murals in the entryway were commissioned by FDR's WPA.

Not to mention that in the History museum, they have a scale model of Cincinnati from I guess the 40s, where they have a miniature Crosley Field which lights up when it is evening in the model. It also has streetcars and other things of that era in there as well. The History Museum there is quite a place.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Two classic albums (Congregation and the near-perfect Gentlemen) and a third that was very good (Black Love) made them a college radio fave in the mid-90's. Greg Dulli also provided the John Lennon-esque singing in the movie "Backbeat."
    Following Black Love was my personal favorite (and their swansong), 1998's 1965.

Unfortunately, Dulli more or less renounced Cincinnati as his hometown around the mid-nineties. Besides, he met the band's guitarist in the drunk tank at Athens' Halloween 1987.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    St. Francis De Sales church had (may still have) the world's largest free swinging bell. When rung, it shattered windows in the neighborhood.
    The largest free-swinging bell is the World Peace Bell in Newport, Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The largest free-swinging bell is the World Peace Bell in Newport, Kentucky.
    Forgot about that- as did everyone else about three days after the millenium.
    Whatever happened to the big tower that was supposed to go with it?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

A few additional famous people (not sure I have all the spellings correct; forgive me):

Albert Sabin (polio vaccine)
    John Audubon
    Nick Lachey
    Carmen Electra
    Rikki Lake
    Heimlich (can't remember his first name)
    Barry Larkin
    Ken Griffey, Jr. (and Sr.)
    Noah Hunt (lead singer for Kenny Wayne Shepard Band)
    John Ritter’s widow and actress (Amy ?)

Little Texas (country group)
    Ass Ponys (though I’m not sure how famous they are)

Suspension bridge was the prototype for the Brooklyn Bridge;
    First baseball stadium to sell beer;
    First paid volunteer fire department (plus there's a museum where you can slide down the pole);
    Was supposed to be the prominent city in the Midwest due to moving commodities by barge on the Ohio River (until the railroad… after which Chicago became the city of this distinction, though Cincinnati has a lot of rail activity);
    Over 350 Fortune 500 companies have operations in Greater Cincinnati (7 of which are headquartered in Cincinnati);
    Cincinnati ranks third in the nation (after NY and LA) as a Corporate broadcasting community.

And, I'm not totally sure about this one, but I think the college football hall of fame is here?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    And, I'm not totally sure about this one, but I think the college football hall of fame is here?
    It was in Mason, near Kings Island, but they moved it to South Bend, IN.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    1. I always heard that Leonard Slye, aka Roy Rogers, was born at the approximate location of second base at old Riverfront/Cinergy Field.

2. The German language newsapaper was still being published at least into the 1970s. I remember as a kid going to the home of a friend of my parents where the more elderly family members spoke German.

3. I remember hearing at one time that the subway tunnels were full of old army C-rations stored there by the Department of Civil Defense. You can have my share, thanks...
    The bit about Roy Rogers might be true. The neighborhood known as "The Bottoms" was located in the area from around 6th St. to the north, Broadway to the west, Mt. Adams to the east, and the river to the south. Leonard Slye grew up in that neighborhood, which no longer exists, largely due to the construction of I-71. The Lindners and Buddy LaRosa had businesses in this neighborhood. If you ever visit Lytle Park, take the time to read some of the markers that are posted around the park. It's very fascinating, and has some great photographs of the now non-existent neighborhood.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Danny Graves is my Homey

About the Bell in newport. I personally knew the developer of the property during that time, or at least one of the developers. It was supposed to be huge, and be an extension of newport on the levee. The tower even had a contract with maisonette to move over, if it woudl get built. The FAA nixed it because of flight patterns to CVG. so, now we have the 2 story bell holder with a nice parking lot around it. oh well.
    Bob MacKenzie: My brother and I used to say that drownin' in beer was like heaven, eh? Now he's not here, and I've got two soakers... this isn't heaven, this sucks!

Turn Off Ads?