Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Lost' Planning End Date

'Lost' Planning End Date

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=11372

By James Hibberd
    In a highly unusual move for a broadcast series, ABC and the producers of "Lost" are in discussions to determine an end date for the show.

The date will set a limit to the number of "Lost" seasons to come and will be announced to fans. The show's producers, speaking at ABC's Television Critics Association press tour session, said having a conclusion date will bolster fan confidence in the series' narrative. A timeline for making the decision was not announced.

"It's time for us now to find an endpoint for the show," said executive producer Carlton Cuse. "JK Rowling announced there were seven books in the Harry Potter series and it gives fans [a framework for understanding the arc of the show]. 'The X-Files' was a cautionary tale for us. It was a great show that ran two seasons too long. 'Lost' has a short-half life."

"None of us want to be doing the stalling show," added executive producer Damon Lindelof. "We don't want them to be building sandcastles next week."

Thought the series ratings have dipped this fall, the show remains one of ABC's top-rated programs. During the first season, Mr. Lindelof said the show could run nine seasons if necessary, noting the island has plenty of mysteries. Recently, fans and critics have grown frustrated, however, with the show's continually expanding mythology that keeps piling on new mysteries and characters.

After the panel, Mr. Lindelof suggested the series might cap at 100 episodes, which would only result in two more seasons. But ABC Entertainment President Steve McPherson sought to downplay the producers' statements, noting that "we've had those discussions for the past two years."

Earlier while on stage, Mr. McPherson said he agreed with critic complaints that the first six episodes this season pulled the story too far from the group dynamics that made the show popular.

"[The writers] made a clear choice that first installment would be about Jack, Kate, Sawyer and The Others," he said. "For me, the show I really invest in is having everybody together. I thought it was a riveting six episodes, but I like it when they're all together and they're heading toward that again after the break."

Though Mr. McPherson stood by his decision to schedule a four-month break in the "Lost" schedule this season, he reiterated his plan (first reported last month in TelevisionWeek) to try and run next season's episodes without a break or repeats, launching either in the fall or spring.

While at TCA, Mr. McPherson also said that freshman dramas "The Nine" and "Six Degrees," which were pulled from the schedule earlier this season, will likely return to finish their runs before May. But "Day Break" will only be available ABC.com.

Two other dramas on ABC's slate-"The Traveler" and "Notes From the Underbelly"-will premiere by the end of the season.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 'Lost' Planning End Date

Initially, I was very intrigued by Lost. Unfortunately, I think that ABC did a major disservice to the show early on by playing re-runs in between new shows. This season, they decided to go on hiatus for several weeks in between shows. Now, I really have no idea of what was happening prior to the break, and frankly couldn't care less, as I won't be wasting anymore time to it. They really have ruined what seemed to be a unique show. I hope more viewers stay away from the show as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    Initially, I was very intrigued by Lost. Unfortunately, I think that ABC did a major disservice to the show early on by playing re-runs in between new shows. This season, they decided to go on hiatus for several weeks in between shows. Now, I really have no idea of what was happening prior to the break, and frankly couldn't care less, as I won't be wasting anymore time to it. They really have ruined what seemed to be a unique show. I hope more viewers stay away from the show as well.
    Why do you hope more viewers stay away from the show...what difference does it make to you. There are hundreds of shows on TV I don't watch, but just because I don't like it (or stopped liking it) doesn't mean I hope others don't watch it. You don't like it...turn the channel. The quality of the show has dropped, yes, but I still watch. And I do believe the pace will start to pick back up come February. Sounds like you have some lingering anger issues with Lost.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Why do you hope more viewers stay away from the show...what difference does it make to you. There are hundreds of shows on TV I don't watch, but just because I don't like it (or stopped liking it) doesn't mean I hope others don't watch it. You don't like it...turn the channel. The quality of the show has dropped, yes, but I still watch. And I do believe the pace will start to pick back up come February. Sounds like you have some lingering anger issues with Lost.
    I only hope viewers stay away so that the network executives take notice and learn to air shows like this more reasonably. It's very difficult to watch a series such as Lost when they have consistently aired it with long breaks between new shows.

If you don't care what others watch, then why did you just tell me to turn the channel? "Anger issues with Lost" is a real stretch, don't you think

"Anger issues with Lost" is a real stretch, don't you think
    Not really. I've had anger issues with "Lost".
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I understand RiC's point.

Remember when TV series played through the season? I hate all the reruns in between. All the shows are doing it - Lost, CSI, ER, etc. It's annoying.

The only time I understand it is at the holidays or during the Superbowl, etc. Even then, it isn't necessary with VCRs and DVRs, etc.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

The network TV season was 26 episodes as recently as 8 years ago, now it's a shock to see a show go more then 22

The good ole days, season of 30+, reruns only on holidays.
    Go Gators!

I only hope viewers stay away so that the network executives take notice and learn to air shows like this more reasonably. It's very difficult to watch a series such as Lost when they have consistently aired it with long breaks between new shows.

If you don't care what others watch, then why did you just tell me to turn the channel? "Anger issues with Lost" is a real stretch, don't you think
    I don't care about what others watch. I do care about reading a thread about the end date of Lost and seeing someone whining that no one should watch it. Do whatever you want. Turn the channel. Turn the TV off. Just don't whine. If there was a thread entitled "CSI planning end date" I would ignore it, because I don't watch. I wouldn't post a diatribe ending with my statement that people shouldn't watch.

It's like oroborus in here.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I think LOST is an amazing show! However, I started watching it via renting DVDs...it was so much better without commercials. I'm thinking of not watching the new season and waiting for it to come out on DVD. Or perhaps I should just get TIVO, but I can't justify it.

I hope they focus on the rest of the survivors more. They sort of split the show with this whole prisoner direction.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

I like Lost a lot, but, yeah, it is about time to put this old dog to rest. The show simply does not seem to have the shelf life of a 24.

Actually, I find the idea of a sandcastle-making episode intriguing....:

Lost has really jumped the shark this season IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by letsgojunior View Post
    Lost has really jumped the shark this season IMO.
    Yep, I have seen every episode and am almost dreading its return. I loved the show, but this season has been excrutiating to watch.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?