Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ross signs 2 year deal; Paul Wilson signed to minor league deal

Ross signs 2 year deal; Paul Wilson signed to minor league deal

Ross signs

The Reds signed David Ross to a two-year deal today, avoiding arbitration with the catcher.

The team also reached a minor league deal with Paul Wilson, who was also invited to major league camp.

Aaron Harang and Kyle Lohse are still arbitration eligible, and tomorrow (Tuesday) is the day for players and teams to exchange numbers.
    Marc's Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ross signs 2 year deal; Paul Wilson signed to minor league deal

There is no reason for Harang to be this close to arbitration. He should already have been handed a long term contract. I'll hold out judgement on the Ross deal until I see the numbers.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    There is no reason for Harang to be this close to arbitration. He should already have been handed a long term contract. I'll hold out judgement on the Ross deal until I see the numbers.
    Somehow, I don't think it's going to be as easy as handing out a contract to Harang. Last year he clearly asserted himself as a quality major league starter, and guys like that are raking in HUGE money these days. The Reds are going to have to ante up to keep him long term. Theo Epstein and Brian Cashman are probably already projecting him in their 2009 rotations.

I like Wilson, always have. If we had the Paul Wilson from a few years ago, he would have fit in nicely as our #4 starter. But I just don't understand why the Reds would bother signing a guy that has absolutely nothing left in the tank, yet pass on a guy like Claussen that is lefthanded, younger and has much more upside. Makes no sense. Did Wayne sour on Claussen that much?

Paul Wilson can be a wildcard in the Reds rotation. He's been a forgotten man due to his injuries. If he can give them anything at all, it'll be a plus.

As for Ross, I felt he and Valentin was a nice one-two punch last season. Hopefully there's more where that came from.

Quote Originally Posted by maniem View Post
    Did Wayne sour on Claussen that much?
    I've never been impressed with Claussen. I felt he lacked agressiveness in going after hitters. The age factor is a valid point and noted, however, I never really saw him being a major player for the Reds. Especially in the Great American Ball Park.

Wilson's is a minor league deal so there is no risk. No downside at all to the signing.

:wilson:

start printing the World Series tickets
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    Wilson's is a minor league deal so there is no risk. No downside at all to the signing.
    except he will be wasting resources that could be better spent somewhere else.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    :wilson:

start printing the World Series tickets
    For which team? :

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    There is no reason for Harang to be this close to arbitration.
    To be honest, if I am Harang, I want to go to arbitration, if Cincinnati isn't giving me a huge contract. Concidering his stats have been equal to or better than Zito's the last couple of season, it isn't unrealistic for him to look for a 10m or better contract.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Ross - 2yrs, $4.5 Million

LaRue - $5 million...and that for one year of his deal.

That Ross deal is very managable, even with a dropoff last season. I also see no risk in the Paul Wilson minor league signing.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

4.5 million per or total. If that's total, looks like we just got him at a very reasonable rate. Good deal Wayne

Total

Turn Off Ads?