Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ross signs 2 year deal; Paul Wilson signed to minor league deal

Re: Ross signs 2 year deal; Paul Wilson signed to minor league deal

Dave Ross should have been sold high. There is no history that would show he can repeat 2006. How many times did he drop the ball when there was a play at the plate?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wilson could not complete his comeback last year becasue of lack of arm strength. I'm like most; I think he has gotten about all out of his arm and shoulder that there is to get. However, let me stir the pot just a little bit.

Suppose it turns out he has got maybe 15-20 quality major league pitches a day in that arm. With his attitude and experience, might not he make decent closer material? I'm thinking he would need to nudge 90 and miss bats bats with his fastball and work a change up with some movement off of it as his big pitch. It would be all about location for him to succeed. If Easy Ed G. could do it with an arm that was about to break, why not Wilson.
    Last edited by jnwohio; 01-15-2007 at 04:47 PM.

I doubt wilson can get anywhere near 90mph. Im betting he tops out at 85.

Quote Originally Posted by big boy View Post
    Dave Ross should have been sold high. There is no history that would show he can repeat 2006. How many times did he drop the ball when there was a play at the plate?
    Ross is not going to return anything usuable in trade with his short track record of success. Might as well sign him to a reasonable contract (which it appears they did) and get some production out of him.

Wilson on the other hand.....while I admire his tenacity, come on. Enough is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu View Post
    Concidering his stats have been equal to or better than Zito's the last couple of season, it isn't unrealistic for him to look for a 10m or better contract.
    This is only his second year of arbitration eligibility, so he is limited in terms of which people he can compare himself to. He'll be restricted to other players with similar service time. Next year, however, he'll be able to compare himself to all players. That means he could shoot right past $10MM, but not this year.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    except he will be wasting resources that could be better spent somewhere else.

if a minor league deal hurts a team resources than the team is in worse shape than we thought.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    if a minor league deal hurts a team resources than the team is in worse shape than we thought.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    I doubt wilson can get anywhere near 90mph. Im betting he tops out at 85.
    If my memory is correct, I think around 83mph was the best he (briefly) could muster last year then he fell off to the just under 80mph level. He must think he is capable of more or he wouldn't be putting himself through the grind of continuing rehab.

I see the club offering him the minor league deal as more of a courtesy and loyalty thing. They have to believe if he doesn't have it, he will call it quits before the end of spring training and it won't have cost them anything more than his per diem.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    This is only his second year of arbitration eligibility, so he is limited in terms of which people he can compare himself to. He'll be restricted to other players with similar service time. Next year, however, he'll be able to compare himself to all players. That means he could shoot right past $10MM, but not this year.
    Thanks Redsland
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Exactly. If it's a typical shot-in-the-dark NRI, the only thing we're actually committed to paying is the token amount guys get for being in a big-league training camp.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Senor Votto

I was thinking today that it's pretty bad the biggest news in the offseason is signing Gonzo and resigning Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by big boy View Post
    I agree. Whenever any of our players have good seasons, we should trade them. When they have lousy seasons, we should keep them ... until they have good seasons. Then, of course, we should trade them.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    :wilson:

start printing the World Series tickets
    In all fairness I dont think the reds are saying this is a major signing by the "minor league contract" tag.
    Many times they sign a "filler" or a gamble(like hamilton) and people come across with the WS tickets thing.
    I know it is said in jest but still.......
    You have more parts to a car than the engine.When the reds are playing short-handed moneywise,you have to try to hit a homerun with a gamble everyonce in a while !

Of course it doesn't hurt the Reds financially. The problem I have with this signing is that since he is going to be in camp, the temptation will be there to use him. If he were in Astros camp, there would be no temptation because he wouldn't be there. But he is going to come to camp and he is going to work hard and he knows all the guys on the team and most of the coaches and the front office people and they all like him. And no matter how he pitches, they are going to be tempted to put him on the 25 man roster so he can be the 5th starter or be a long guy out of the bullpen and so he can teach all the youngsters in the bullpen a thing or two. Except we have very few youngsters in the bullpen. But that will be the party line. If they think he's a good influence make him a coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    I agree. Whenever any of our players have good seasons, we should trade them. When they have lousy seasons, we should keep them ... until they have good seasons. Then, of course, we should trade them.
    Yeah, but this is assuming other teams wanted him and were willing to give a sound return. For some reason, I'm doubting either were true.

Turn Off Ads?