Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ross signs 2 year deal; Paul Wilson signs minor league deal

Ross signs 2 year deal; Paul Wilson signs minor league deal

Ross signs

The Reds signed David Ross to a two-year deal today, avoiding arbitration with the catcher.

The team also reached a minor league deal with Paul Wilson, who was also invited to major league camp.

Aaron Harang and Kyle Lohse are still arbitration eligible, and tomorrow (Tuesday) is the day for players and teams to exchange numbers.
    -Marc's Blog
    "The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldn’t do it." - Brad Kullman

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ross signs 2 year deal; Paul Wilson signs minor league deal

Expected. Moving on.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Paul Wilson starring in the Film, "The Guest Who Wouldn't Leave" or "How to rehab for a living and still make bank"

Hopefully, the minor league deal Wilson signed is for coaching, not actually pitching.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

We just found our 5th starter.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If Brandon Claussen has a Wang Chung Fastball, I guess Paul Wilson has a Jim Croce slider.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Come on, Wilson was done 2 years ago..let it go Reds.
    Go Gators!

Salary figures per AP...

Ross and Reds agree to $4.5 million, 2-year deal

CINCINNATI (AP) — Catcher David Ross and the Cincinnati Reds agreed Monday to a $4.5 million, two-year contract, a deal that includes a team option for 2009.
    The 29-year-old Ross was acquired from San Diego last year during spring training and became the starter. With 21 home runs in 90 games, he ranked third among NL catchers.
    Ross, who made $500,000 last year, gets $1.6 million this year and $2,525,000 in 2008. The Reds have a $3.5 million option for 2009 with a $375,000 buyout.
    Right-handers Aaron Harang and Kyle Lohse also filed for arbitration last week and are set to swap proposed salaries with the Reds on Tuesday.
    Cincinnati also agreed to a minor league contract with pitcher Paul Wilson, who was invited to spring training. The 33-year-old right-hander went 11-6 with a 4.36 ERA in 29 games and led the team in wins with 11, but he was limited to nine starts in 2005 and had shoulder surgery that June. He was 1-3 with a 4.50 ERA in four minor league starts last year during a rehabilitation assignment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspark View Post
    Salary figures per AP...

Ross and Reds agree to $4.5 million, 2-year deal

CINCINNATI (AP) — Catcher David Ross and the Cincinnati Reds agreed Monday to a $4.5 million, two-year contract, a deal that includes a team option for 2009.
    The 29-year-old Ross was acquired from San Diego last year during spring training and became the starter. With 21 home runs in 90 games, he ranked third among NL catchers.
    Ross, who made $500,000 last year, gets $1.6 million this year and $2,525,000 in 2008. The Reds have a $3.5 million option for 2009 with a $375,000 buyout.
    Right-handers Aaron Harang and Kyle Lohse also filed for arbitration last week and are set to swap proposed salaries with the Reds on Tuesday.
    Cincinnati also agreed to a minor league contract with pitcher Paul Wilson, who was invited to spring training. The 33-year-old right-hander went 11-6 with a 4.36 ERA in 29 games and led the team in wins with 11, but he was limited to nine starts in 2005 and had shoulder surgery that June. He was 1-3 with a 4.50 ERA in four minor league starts last year during a rehabilitation assignment.

Doesn't it seem like he's at least 43

I feel that the Ross deal is a good one even if he does come back to earth this season. Why does Wayne always have to counter one good move with one not so good move though.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I feel that the Ross deal is a good one even if he does come back to earth this season. Why does Wayne always have to counter one good move with one not so good move though.
    Avoiding arbitration is good, but a 1 year deal would make him easier to move if he starts the season hot again.

I'm kinda "eh..." on David Ross. It's pretty much universally known that he's going to have a drop-off, but nobody knows for sure if it'll be to a passable offensive level or back down to the "should he really even be in the majors" level that he was prior to last year. Given that level of unkown, I'm not certain a multi-year deal was the smartest move.

The dollars might not be sky high, but this is another deal that nickles and dimes the Reds towards a payroll ceiling that it looks like they'll reach without any marked improvement in the club.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Does anyone know Pete Harnish's cell phone number?
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Avoiding arbitration is good, but a 1 year deal would make him easier to move if he starts the season hot again.

I'm kinda "eh..." on David Ross. It's pretty much universally known that he's going to have a drop-off, but nobody knows for sure if it'll be to a passable offensive level or back down to the "should he really even be in the majors" level that he was prior to last year. Given that level of unkown, I'm not certain a multi-year deal was the smartest move.

The dollars might not be sky high, but this is another deal that nickles and dimes the Reds towards a payroll ceiling that it looks like they'll reach without any marked improvement in the club.
    Yep...his second half was kind of bad in '06. I also think a one-year deal would have worked better.

Does WK know that one-year deals exist? I wonder if he was really trying to get Cormier to sign a 2 year extension last year after the trade.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

In a related story, Paul Wilson underwent Tommy John Surgery, rotator cuff repair and a 3rd finger transplant after signing his deal today. Aparently, Mr. Wilson suffered multiple injuries while placing the pen cap back on the pen used to sign his contract.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Man Pills

This team's 2007 theme song should be The Pretenders' "Middle of the Road."

About the only way this team could get more vanilla would be to trade Dunn for Mark Kotsay.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 01-15-2007 at 07:30 PM.

Turn Off Ads?