Re: Ross signs 2 year deal; Paul Wilson signs minor league deal

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    We just found our 5th starter.
    I was thinking 3rd.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    -Marc's Blog
    I know it'll take getting used to but I think its Trent's Blog now.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    This team's 2007 theme song should be The Pretenders' "Middle of the Road."

About the only way this team could get more vanilla would be to trade Dunn for Mark Kotsay.

I have a feeling it may be more like "Bad boys get spanked"
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Am I missing something here? Wasn't Paul Wilson's deal a Minor League one? Where is the risk? He either has something in the tank, or he doesn't.
    "Just shut up and play baseball"...Mike Piazza

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Come on, Wilson was done 2 years ago..let it go Reds.
    Two words...Jose Rijo...I know they have little in common other than they are injury plagued Reds players.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Am I missing something here? Wasn't Paul Wilson's deal a Minor League one? Where is the risk? He either has something in the tank, or he doesn't.
    The risk is just because he's living and breathing and in the system, Crazy Wayne might be tempted to use him. That's more than enough risk for my taste.

I disagree with 75% of what Wayne does but signing Paul Wilson to a minor league deal is not one of them. Who cares? If he has anything left then great....if not he goes home.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    I disagree with 75% of what Wayne does but signing Paul Wilson to a minor league deal is not one of them. Who cares? If he has anything left then great....if not he goes home.
    Time and money wasted could and should be better spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Not the Reds time, but Paul's. This move is respect and nothing more. Why you people are even complaining about it, shows the level of desperation some have reached sadly enough.

The Ross deal was much more interesting to debate.

Everyone seems to be expecting Ross to fall off this year.

I don't see it. He's coming into his prime. He got more playing time last year ever and wore down a little in August.

I think it's a great signing.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I can't argue with the time portion, but for the small amount of money invested in a minor league deal who exactly do you think we should have spent it on that would make any difference to this team?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    His presence on the club, in any capacity, qualifies as "soul-sucking" at this point. If he makes the big-league mound to toss 74 mph "cheese" at hitters this year, well, that may define low point for me as a fan. Why can't they just move on?

Edited to add: And, given the extended and unfortunate Joe Mays days last summer, I don't trust WK as far as I can throw him to not foist the decrepit Wilson on the club at some point...
    Last edited by membengal; 01-16-2007 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Everyone seems to be expecting Ross to fall off this year.

I don't see it. He's coming into his prime. He got more playing time last year ever and wore down a little in August.

I think it's a great signing.
    I agree RFS. And even if he "falls off" from his .932 OPS last year to say .850 I don't see that as a problem. And good point about his age (and that they kept it to a 2 year deal + team option).
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    His presence on the club, in any capacity, qualifies as "soul-sucking" at this point. If he makes the big-league mound to toss 74 mph "cheese" at hitters this year, well, that may define low point for me as a fan. Why can't they just move on?

Edited to add: And, given the extended and unfortunate Joe Mays days last summer, I don't trust WK as far as I can throw him to not foist the decrepit Wilson on the club at some point...
    I think we're kidding ourselves if we think that we'll see a repeat of what we saw last year, as the new management desperately tried to cobbled together an effective pitching staff. We will not see a cheese-throwing Paul Wilson on the mound this year. I think it's very unlikely we'll see Paul Wilson throw for the big club unless he's nearly completely back from the injury. The chances of that are slim, but we'll see how he progresses. I was surprised when I saw his age; I thought he was 4 or 5 years older. This is a no lose proposition, far from "soul-sucking" - oh, such hyperbole! - to see if the guy has anything left in the tank. Odds are again, that it's no, but we'll see.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Ross had a .203/.325.484 line after the all-star break. Not saying that's what we should expect, but I think he could very easily fall to the .800 line.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?