Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fantasy Baseball Question

Re: Fantasy Baseball Question

Sweet, I am looking forward to it, thanks for the info C4N.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I play in a keeper league that has been around since 1981. We have 40 players total after the draft and have to cut down to 30 before the draft. It takes a few years to catch up to the teams that have been established much like real baseball and their expansion teams. We have 3 players at each position with an option of only taking 2 Cs and a Dh or a 10th OF. We only use 2 at each position. Our pitching is as such, 9 starters, 3 MRPs and 4 Closers. We can get 8 or 4 points per category in hitting with the points stair stepping down where the last place finisher in a category gets 1 or a 1/2 point for said category. In pitching we can get 10 or 5 points etc. We have several catergories, hits, runs, DBs, TRs Hrs BI SLugging, Aver, SB Total Bases, Walks in hitting and Wins, losses, Win pct, Svs, Ks and Ks/9 Walks/9 Hits/9, Walks +H/9 . The total points one could win is 162. Of course he would have to finish first in every category.

The league is complicated and has a lot of rules but we have tried to make it as close to real Baseball as possible. I love playing in it. By the way 7 players is about the limit.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Guys- I need your help.

Does anyone have a good fantast baseball scoring system that has worked in the past for you that entails a head to head points league?

We are having a hard time making the pitchers as valuable as the hitters.

I could sit down and make it work, but if someone already had a point system they have used, that would be terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Does anyone have a good fantast baseball scoring system that has worked in the past for you that entails a head to head points league?
    Here are what last years Redszone points league had as their stats.

R (1), 1B (1), 2B (2), 3B (3), HR (4), RBI (1), SB (2), CS (-1), BB (1), K (-1), GIDP (-1), IP (3), W (10), L (-5), CG (5), SHO (10), SV (7), ER (-1), BB (-1), K (1), GIDP (1), TB (-1)

Hope this helps you out some.

I liked these settings. Allowed pitchers to be pretty even with hitters.

Examples:

Albert Pujols had 649 points, Jose Reyes had 595, Alfonso Soriano had 545, and Carlos Lee had 562.

Johan Santana ended with 692 points, Brandon Webb had 639, Chris Carpenter had 611.

In this setup, elite SPs were more valuable than elite hitters. I also believe that if you knocked a pitching W down to 8 points that it would have been more even. Hitters would still be elite over SPs.

Thanks so much for the input. It is really appreciated.

I like your scoring system, but I found one that peaked my interest.

It scores (-.2) for at bats, which allows you to calculate the efficiency of each hitter (to make up for this, you get 2 points for a single, 3 points for a double and so on...)

My problem with points leagues is that they don't reflect hitting prowess.

Say Player A goes 1 for 4 with a single and that is one point. Player B goes 1 for 6 with a single and he gets a point. That isn't fair, because Player A had the better night.

There has to be a way to capture the percentage categories and by deducting .2 per at bat, it does this.

As well- the more I look into these leagues, I don't like the negative category for hitter's strikeouts. That is why Pujols was your most valuable player, even though he didn't have the better year. Ortiz was better, Howard was better. Pujols is atop there because he struck out only 30 times. While that's impressive, he had less homers and RBIs than Ortiz while getting on base just a little more.

I also like the negative deduction for at bats because it takes a guy like Soriano and shines a light on that less than best OBP.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    Here are what last years Redszone points league had as their stats.

R (1), 1B (1), 2B (2), 3B (3), HR (4), RBI (1), SB (2), CS (-1), BB (1), K (-1), GIDP (-1), IP (3), W (10), L (-5), CG (5), SHO (10), SV (7), ER (-1), BB (-1), K (1), GIDP (1), TB (-1)

Hope this helps you out some.

I liked these settings. Allowed pitchers to be pretty even with hitters.

Examples:

Albert Pujols had 649 points, Jose Reyes had 595, Alfonso Soriano had 545, and Carlos Lee had 562.

Johan Santana ended with 692 points, Brandon Webb had 639, Chris Carpenter had 611.

In this setup, elite SPs were more valuable than elite hitters. I also believe that if you knocked a pitching W down to 8 points that it would have been more even. Hitters would still be elite over SPs.
    I'd like to knock the Wins down to 8 and the Losses down to -3. Those categories are too team-dependent anyway.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post

As well- the more I look into these leagues, I don't like the negative category for hitter's strikeouts. That is why Pujols was your most valuable player, even though he didn't have the better year. Ortiz was better, Howard was better. Pujols is atop there because he struck out only 30 times. While that's impressive, he had less homers and RBIs than Ortiz while getting on base just a little more.
    I'm with you on that, the -1 for strikeouts is silly. Of course most of the masses are under the impression that the K is worse than a ground out or a pop fly so I think we are fighting an uphill battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint View Post
    I'm with you on that, the -1 for strikeouts is silly. Of course most of the masses are under the impression that the K is worse than a ground out or a pop fly so I think we are fighting an uphill battle.
    We keep the -1 for strikeouts in an attempt to keep batters from becoming way, way more valuable than pitchers.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

We keep the -1 for strikeouts in an attempt to keep batters from becoming way, way more valuable than pitchers.
    And you know what? I had to succumb to this rule for the very same reason, though I think the solution should lie in adjusting the other categories, not keeping a bad rule around.

I play in a league where they want to punish for K's but not for double plays.

Incredible.

And you know what? I had to succumb to this rule for the very same reason, though I think the solution should lie in adjusting the other categories, not keeping a bad rule around.
    Let me add that I honestly have no solution.

Turn Off Ads?