Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Baseball Question

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Fantasy Baseball Question

Alright- so last season I won my fantasy baseball league. it was a terrible scoring system, though- something like 13 categories by 13 categories.

Our commish has asked for some help in setting up a new system but I don't have much experience.

I've seen ones where they are 5x5 and the like but didn't know what the best way to go is.

If possible, I'd like to ignore stolen bases or include them in another category.

Any suggestions?

Also- is there another site rather than Yahoo? I'm never playing on their sites again.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fantasy Baseball Question

I prefer points-based leagues to roto leagues. In points leagues, saves and SBs still help you, but they aren't as ridiculously important as they are in roto leagues. You might consider switching.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

13x13 is crazy. The standard is 4x4 or 5x5. I play a 6x6 league and like it fine. I think cutting your catefories down to any of these amounts will make a big diffference in your league.
    We use a service called allstarstats.com but there are hundreds of online stat services. cbssportsline is one that is pretty popular.
    Also you might want to check out a website called fantasybaseballcafe.com there are some very active message boards there where you could get more input on league setups.

In points leagues, saves and SBs still help you, but they aren't as ridiculously important as they are in roto leagues.
    Sounds good- what is a points league? Is it like where each player gets points for certain stats and then he gets a total score for the week?

We want to play weekly head to head...

13x13 is crazy.
    It was awful. Therre were times when you both hurt and helped yourself. I won because I figured out that middle relievers were invaluable since they had high strikeout to innings pitched ratios.

I play a 6x6 league and like it fine.
    What categories do people usually use in these leagues?
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 01-15-2007 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Sounds good- what is a points league? Is it like where each player gets points for certain stats and then he gets a total score for the week?

We want to play weekly head to head...
    Exactly. Each stat is worth X amount of points. We usually a scale like this:

HITTING: Total Base=1, RBI=1, R=1, SB=2, BB=1, HBP=1, CS=-1, K=-1, E=-1.

PITCHING: W=10, SV=6, K=1, CG=5, CGSHO=10, L=-5, ER=-1, TB allowed=-1, BB=-1, HB=-1

I'm sure you could set up a head-to-head league somewhere.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 01-22-2007 at 11:42 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

cbs.sportsline.com has good points based leagues. might want to check them out.

GO Reds

I allways enjoyed going to Fox SPorts for my fantasy baseball

TQ Stats is nice, but it costs 99 bucks a year, but that includes live team tracking. I've enjoyed using them for both of my leagues I am in.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Keep it coming if anybody has other suggestions....

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I prefer points-based leagues to roto leagues. In points leagues, saves and SBs still help you, but they aren't as ridiculously important as they are in roto leagues. You might consider switching.
    Completely agreed. I'm not a big fan of roto at all. Points based is the way to go.

I once played in an 11x11 league and it was a nightmare. I couldn't even begin to imagine 13x13.

As for sites to play at Yahoo is the only free one I can think of although I'm sure there are others. If you don't mind spending a little bit then Sandbox.com has a decent setup. Not sure if they are still in business as I haven't played there in a couple years though.

I've played fantasy baseball for a long time now.

I like playing head to head vs roto after all of these years. Just seems more "personal," for some reason.

I don't like when there are 20 categories, or categories for stupid stuff.

I don't like when the scoring system benefits lesser players, ie. making someone like David Eckstein more valuable than someone like Derek Jeter because Jeter K's more, etc.

For categories I like:

Hitters: R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP, and TOT BASES

Pitchers: IP, W, L, SV, ERA, K/9, WHIP.

I played in a points league a couple times, and it was very enjoyable. Better than roto, and we could play it head to head. I liked it.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint View Post
    Completely agreed. I'm not a big fan of roto at all. Points based is the way to go.

I once played in an 11x11 league and it was a nightmare. I couldn't even begin to imagine 13x13.

As for sites to play at Yahoo is the only free one I can think of although I'm sure there are others. If you don't mind spending a little bit then Sandbox.com has a decent setup. Not sure if they are still in business as I haven't played there in a couple years though.

Sandbox was awesome when it was free. After it started charging, it went downhill fast.

I'm toolsy.

If anyone needs another player in a free league, please let me know. I don't think my friends are going to do one this year, and I really don't want to play with "total" strangers - might as well play with fellow redzoners!!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Sandbox was awesome when it was free. After it started charging, it went downhill fast.
    Yeah it's funny how that worked out huh? That's why I'm no longer playing there. Always seemed to be a glitch with scoring from the previous night or a problem with the online draft or a problem with this or a problem with that. Turned into enough problems that I didn't want to give them my money anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRedsGM View Post
    If anyone needs another player in a free league, please let me know. I don't think my friends are going to do one this year, and I really don't want to play with "total" strangers - might as well play with fellow redzoners!!
    I'd love to get in on a Yahoo league with some of the guys here this season. I'm wondering when Yahoo will be opening up? Seemed like it was fairly early last season.

yahoo opens this thursday the 15th

Turn Off Ads?