3. Joey Votto
    4. Johnny Cueto
    5. Travis Wood
    6. Drew Stubbs
    7. Chris Valaika
    8. Sam LeCure
    9. Milton Loo
    10. Sean Watson

Well, that was fun. I'm glad we did this; we've had some interesting discussions along the way, and I've learned a lot from all of you.

What I'd like you to do now is this: post a list of your prospects 11 through 15; feel free to include a brief comment. I'll wait a week or so, then tally the votes, with 5 points given to your #11 pick, 4 to your #12, etc. Then I'll publish the final list.

Feel free to go beyond #15, but only 11-15 will receive points. No ties please. And don't spend a lot of time criticizing the lists of others; I want us all to feel free to be a little off the wall with our selections.

I'll go first. I don't think Janish will hit, and I don't want to pick any more first-year players. So, just for the heck of it, I'll go:

11. David Shafer- They wouldn't send him back to Chattanooga, would they?
    12. Calvin Medlock- I think he can pitch; I just don't trust the Reds to know it.
    13. Cody Strait- Probably the most upside of remaining position players.
    14. Tonys Gutierrez- Blocked by Votto; would move up list if he could play OF, cause he can hit.
    15. Adam Rosales- Struggled in 122 AA ABs; I'm betting he pulls out of it.

If I could have added another player it would be Carlos Guevara. I know he's a little righty with a trick pitch and all that, but results are results. At the very least, I think you could call him up in midseason to cover for an injury, and he could pitch successfully for a couple of months until the league figured him out.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RedsZone's Prospects: Beyond the Top 10

11. Medlock
    12. Shafer
    13. Janish
    14. Strait
    15. Guevera

Basically the same as your's but inserting Janish for Rosales based on better season last year at higher level.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Completely agree with your 11 & 12. I think they are interchangeable in fact.

at 13 i put another pitcher: Tyler Pelland. His development is going to take longer because he has been rushed, but he's got a FB that touches 95, and a big curveball. Control can take longer with LH pitchers, and his final destination might be the pen, but he can miss bats. His K/9 dipped in 2006 as he was again over promoted, but he isn't prone to the HR, and his career K/9 is just north of 8. My hope is he repeats AA. Of course I was hoping he would repeat A+ in 2006, and A- in 2005.

14 I'll go with Janish. I need a hitter in there somewhere.
    Last edited by TRF; 01-18-2007 at 09:19 AM.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

11. Josh Ravin
    12. Paul Janish
    13. Justin Turner
    14. Tyler Pelland
    15. Drew Anderson
    Last edited by dougdirt; 01-16-2007 at 06:26 PM.

No love for Lutz...I had him at #9.

11. Medlock
    12. Janish
    13. Pelland
    14. Shafer
    15. Turner
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

11. Hamilton - this kid is getting his second chance and as much as I hate counting on druggies...well.
    12. Turner - saw him on the tube a couple times last year and I thought I was watching a young Freel.
    13. Fisher - good arm
    14. Shafer
    15. Janish
    16. Dorn - could be another Paul O Neill

11. Tyler Pelland -- I'll echo TRF here -- hard throwing lefties can't be ignored; he survived at 22/23 as a starter in AA
    12. Calvin Medlock -- like Pelland, cut his teeth as a starter but looks more likely to end up relieving; fastball a few ticks into the 90s and a nice curveball give him a repertoire that's likely to be unique among late-inning guys in most major league pens
    13. Josh Hamilton -- big, athletic lefty power hitter with something to prove; if he can conquer demons and long layoff he's got the talent to be an everyday big league outfielder within a couple years
    14. Paul Janish -- if his defense is for real, he's in the right organization to get a legitimate shot
    15. David Shafer -- the numbers don't lie; only question I have is fit -- seems groomed to close but pure stuff may not be overpowering enough while durability seems suspect for set-up work

Close but no wishbone C-gar: Justin Turner, Norris Hopper, Jon Coutlangus

Why is everyone down on Lutz? Compare his numbers vs Watson's in their debuts...pretty scary. Maybe it's draft position discrimination?

11. Hamilton
    12. Strait
    13. Turner
    14. Dumatrait
    15. Coutlangus

that's a little different than my previous list.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Why is everyone down on Lutz? Compare his numbers vs Watson's in their debuts...pretty scary. Maybe it's draft position discrimination?
    I think Watson will be a starter. That's why I put him ahead of Lutz.

11. Coutlangus. Has done well at every level, including Arizona Fall League, a good sign for guy who started pitching late in his career. Just guessing that he hasn't come near his best yet.

12. Janish. Impressed that he hit better this year, with his great defense seems a sure major leaguer. If offense continues to improve, could be starter.

13. Shafer. Seems like Todd Coffey 2. I think this guy could work a lot of middle innings for the Reds someday. Needs to pitch more two inning stretches at AAA this year.

14. Dorn. Probably most would rank lower, but hit much better than higher rated prospects at Billings. Was a dominant hitter in that league.

15. Dumatrait. Just a guess that he will rebound next year. Was disappointed in his AAA numbers. There was a stretch last year in which Dumatrait was pretty dominant at AA, which makes me think he can be good. Perhaps he just faded late in the season after return from injury.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-16-2007 at 05:39 PM.

11) Janish
    12) Ravin
    13) Shafer
    14) Strait
    15) Medlock

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I edited my list.... just wanted to say that incase votes were already being written down

11. Shafer (Great numbers, close to majors, likely a major league calibre reliever at some point)
    12. Medlock (See Shafer. Hopefully one of these guys can be a good set-up guy, maybe even closer calibre some day, they should contribute in some way)
    13. Pelland (One of the few advanced arms, as he's nearing AAA. Probably best fit as a power lefty reliever)
    14. Janish (One of the few infield prospects. Can field a good SS. If he can progress in hitting, he could be an Alex Gonzalez calibre starter, if not should be a good fielding back-up middle infielder)
    15. Ravin (Doug seems pretty high on him so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.)

Turn Off Ads?