Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Centerfield possibilities if KGJ moves to right

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Centerfield possibilities if KGJ moves to right

Just a thought but Tampa Bay has two players who can play centerfield in Baldelli and Carl Crawford. Both of which would put up around 25 hrs at GABP, replacing the lost power from the Kearns trade. Both also would be a big upgrade defensively. What do you think it would take to get one of these guys? Id try Dunn, Deno, and a prospect for both but thats just dreamin. Any ideas?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Centerfield possibilities if KGJ moves to right

If Crawford was a good option in CF I believe he would have played there when Baldelli was injured. Even the Baldelli missed all of 2005 and half of 2006 Crawford has only played 23 games in CF in his career.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    If Crawford was a good option in CF I believe he would have played there when Baldelli was injured. Even the Baldelli missed all of 2005 and half of 2006 Crawford has only played 23 games in CF in his career.
    Crawford is a LF. That's it. LF

Baldelli would be a good option. He's not very patient but he can rake and he should be 100% by now.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Baldelli would be a fan favorite in no time here. I don't know that they are keen on getting rid of him, but if they are, he's a target I'd choose if I had a vote.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Baldelli would be a good pickup.

The thing is,to get either guy, the Reds would have to get in line. Tampa has resisted trading both those guys so until they get expensive, it'll be expensive to trade for one.... I seriously doubt Dunn+Deno+prospect for Crawford even gets them to return Krivsky's phone call.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Baldelli would be a good pickup.
    Is Tampa even interested in dealing him though?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The thing is,to get either guy, the Reds would have to get in line. Tampa has resisted trading both those guys so until they get expensive, it'll be expensive to trade for one.... I seriously doubt Dunn+Deno+prospect for Crawford even gets them to return Krivsky's phone call.
    and if Krivsky was stupid enough to make that call he should be fired.

I have no idea what TB is interested in doing. They seem to have a tin ear when it comes to understanding when players should be dealt. They held on to Huff and Lugo way too long.

They have a surplus of OF/DH types. (Crawford/Baldelli/Young/Gomes/Dukes/Upton)

What they would want in return is not more OF DH types(like the suggestion of Deno and Dunn), they should want pitching.

Option #1: Denorfia

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

He is said to have the arm and range to play CF, Lou Piniella was quoted as saying the reason for not moving him to center was because he wasn't moving the best LF in the game. Maybe he can maybe he can't, but it would give us a very solid lead off guy, and I would bet he is much better than KGJ defensively at this stage of his career. Also he could be reunited with his old buddy Josh Hamilton. I found a little from this article from jockbio.com kinda interesting.

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays held the first pick overall, and they spent it on North Carolina high-schooler Josh Hamilton, widely considered the best teenager in the draft. The entire first round passed without Carl’s name being called, but the D-Rays opened round two by selecting him. Tampa Bay was thrilled he was still on the board. Bart Braun and Doug Gassaway, who were calling the shots on draft day, actually had Carl rated above Hamilton in many categories. USA Today, in fact, predicted he would be a “high first-round pick.” Obviously, his Nebraska scholarship scared the other teams off. All in all, it was a bad day for college football coaches. The Rays’ third pick, Doug Waechter, was set to become South Florida’s QB.

It took less than two weeks for Tampa Bay to cut a deal with Carl. His $1.2 million bonus was the fourth-highest ever paid to a non-first-round pick. He reported to Princeton of the Appalachian League, where he joined Hamilton in the D-Ray outfield under the tutelage of manager Bobby Ramos. Both players hit well, but Hamilton, with 10 homers and a .349 average in 56 games, was the one who earned a late-season promotion. Carl’s stats were nearly as good. He batted .319 in 60 games and stole 17 bases in 19 attempts. While the team hoped to see more power out of Carl, he was named one of the league’s Top 10 prospects.

The 2000 season found Carl playing for Charleston of the South Atlantic League. Once again, he was overshadowed by Hamilton, who starred in the Futures Game and the SAL All-Star Game, and was named the league’s co-MVP with JR House. Hamilton hit .302 for the year, and finished with 13 homers and 61 RBIs despite missing the final month due to pain associated with a spring-training car wreck. Carl had himself a nice season too, matching Hamilton’s .301 average and knocking in 57 runs. His 38 extra-base hits were one short of Hamilton’s total, while his 55 steals easily led the RiverDogs. And once again, Carl was named one of his league’s Top 10 prospects.

CHRIS DENORFIA.

PECOTA weighted means projections:

Deno, 458 PA: .296/.365/.459, 12 HR, 9/12 SB, .280 EqA
    Freel, 447 PA: .271/.361/.404, 8 HR, 32/42 SB, .270 EqA

Bruce, 571 PA: .264/.319/.460, 20 HR, 14/21 SB, .260 EqA

Crawford, 586 PA: .309/.351/.476, 16 HR, 43/54 SB, .294
    Baldelli, 520 PA: .299/.342/.501, 20 HR, 13/17 SB, .292

Now, looking at those projections, make an argument for trading away talent to acquire Baldellli or Crawford over our in house options.

Another very interesting projection is Joey Votto:

Votto, 630 PA: .284/.366/.511, 29 HR, 18/24 SB. That's right, PECOTA projects Votto as the second best offensive Red.

In terms of EqA:
    1. Dunn .314
    2. Votto .293
    3. Junior .281
    4. Denorfia .280
    5. Encarnacion .279
    6. Hatteberg .273
    7. Freel .270
    8. Ross .262
    9. Bruce .260
    10. Hatteberg .259
    11. Phillips .256
    12. Conine .252
    13. Gil .249 (as a CF)
    14. Gonzalez .247

Not saying that these projections are perfect, but at least one method of looking at things suggests that while Baldelli or Crawford would indeed be upgrades, perhaps not quite as big as you'd think. If Deno does not get a real shot (not just ST or 100 AB in April) at being an everyday OF, it speaks pretty poorly of the Reds brass. Yes, I know he could fail. He could be Brandon Larson. But everything from the scouting and statistic point of view suggests otherwise -- to say nothing of the fact that he's the best defensive option we have.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Senor Votto

I'd be happy with Freel in centerfield. He's a better option than Griffey right now.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Option #1: Denorfia
    I agree 100%.

Nice post RMR. As you noted, the Reds already have a multi-faceted CF candidate, plus he's inexpensive.

What they need is some more thump in the lineup. The club had a .409 SLG after the All-Star break. That's a sad state of affairs. When Jr. gets injured this season (and you can bank on that happening), the team won't have much muscle.

Also, anyone have the PECOTAs for the Reds? Haven't seen those yet.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?