Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Centerfield possibilities if KGJ moves to right

Re: Centerfield possibilities if KGJ moves to right

I don't see any need to trade away ANYTHING to get a CF'er. We have two in house versions that would be successful. You trade to fill a position of need, not one of surplus already.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OLD RIGHTHANDER View Post
    Just a thought but Tampa Bay has two players who can play centerfield in Baldelli and Carl Crawford. Both of which would put up around 25 hrs at GABP, replacing the lost power from the Kearns trade. Both also would be a big upgrade defensively. What do you think it would take to get one of these guys? Id try Dunn, Deno, and a prospect for both but thats just dreamin. Any ideas?
    It wouldn't be a week without an trade Dunn mention, right?

Denorfia is the number 1 option. If you are going to trade for someone in Tampa, I'd be Elijah Dukes. However, it's time for Denorfia to play CF for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I think the Reds would be smart to wait until at least after this season before making any more big trades. It gives them time to see what the new coaches can do with the Reds and how the prospects are progressing. Milton's contract will be off the books and they will have a good idea about Dunn's status as well as Jr's. There is more than 30 million tied up in those 3 players and this season is pretty important in lot of ways. I think Milton is gone regardless. I think if Dunn manages .260/40/110 he stays long term and I think that Griffey is going to have another 100 game season and the Reds are going to buy out his last season if they can't trade him.

In my opinion Griffey is a better CF than Freel. Freel's speed enables him to cover much more gound but he doesnt get the jump on the ball that Jr. does. He doesn't make the smart play and takes too many risks. Dont you think that if Jr. thought Freel was a better CF that he would have moved over last year? I think Deno is probably a better defensive CF right now that Jr. but I dont see the reds sending him out there every day.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    It wouldn't be a week without an trade Dunn mention, right?
    I really don't want to trade Dunn, i was kinda kidding, but for Rocco and Crawford Id do it in a second.

StantontheRed

I would love to see the Reds get Balldei(spelling)but they would have to be willing to part with 3 good young prospects and I dont know if he is worth it.I think it would cost the Reds atleast Dino(to take over for Balldei),Cueto,and Votto.I just dont think he would be worth that kind of package.But would love to see Cincy get him for the right price.

In order to get Rocco, you start with Bailey and go down the list adding on to it.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

An interesting thought -- there's something to be gained in terms by giving "ready" guys a shot. Think Brandon Larson; he was going to be the 3B of the future for a number of years -- he was "ready". However, it wasn't until he got a real endorsement and sufficient opportunity that he proved he couldn't hit in the majors. It allowed us to confidently get rid of him and move forward on other plans (hi EE!).

Once a propsect has shown he's ready to go, you need to know if he's major league quality or not. Otherwise, you end up counting on him as a potential replacement for the future without the knowledge if he's capable. I'm not saying you trade away players to make room for an unproven guy. However, when the opportunity arises, you have to use it.

We know what Freel can do. We think (some of us at least) that Deno can do more. If after 300 AB Deno hasn't come through, fine, go back to Freel and start planning for a different full time option in the future. You now know that Deno is a reserve at best and can plan accordingly.

If however, Freel plays full time and Deno ends up with say 150 decent PA, then what. Does Deno stay on the roster as a backup. Who's next in line? What is Deno really capable of? Could we have gotten more production out of him? You have to give him the chance.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

One of the Reds biggest problems is the lack of trading chips, using any of our limited resources to fill a position where we have two very capable in-house candidates is the definition of insanity. If it were up to me Denorfia would be the opening day starter in CF, he's done everything you could possibly ask him to do in the minors and as a result has earned a shot at proving himself in the big leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Nice post RMR. As you noted, the Reds already have a multi-faceted CF candidate, plus he's inexpensive.

What they need is some more thump in the lineup. The club had a .409 SLG after the All-Star break. That's a sad state of affairs. When Jr. gets injured this season (and you can bank on that happening), the team won't have much muscle.

Also, anyone have the PECOTAs for the Reds? Haven't seen those yet.
    I just downloaded them today M2. I'm not sure if weight means is the same as the 50% PECOTA, but apparently it REALLY likes Votto and Deno shows up pretty solid as well.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I just downloaded them today M2. I'm not sure if weight means is the same as the 50% PECOTA, but apparently it REALLY likes Votto and Deno shows up pretty solid as well.
    I'm not understanding the manlove for Denorfia since up until now he's done nothing but be a Brandon Larson like AAA All-Star. Granted he deserves a shot, but did anyone notice his first 20 or so plate appearances after the Trade consisted of ground outs to short? It took him quite awhile to make any adjustment to this. I didn't see it in person or on TV but he probably was shifting his weight early, allowing his torso to move forward in a lunging action, and then topping off on the ball. This is a Busch League mistake and it took him quite awhile to adjust. I understood that he was anxious since he was given a great chance in the Bigs. However, Deno needs to make adjustments, which is what Big Leaguers do. Then again, you can only watch Griffey and Dunn hit into the shift so many times before you stop making them.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    but did anyone notice his first 20 or so plate appearances after the Trade consisted of ground outs to short?
    and after about another 20 or so he got it going. If Narron had not gone overboard who knows how it might have turned out.

Denorfia has never gotten a chance to show what he can do, it would be silly to not give him that opportunity now, especially since it isn't like the Reds are loaded in the OF.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    I'm not understanding the manlove for Denorfia since up until now he's done nothing but be a Brandon Larson like AAA All-Star. Granted he deserves a shot, but did anyone notice his first 20 or so plate appearances after the Trade consisted of ground outs to short? It took him quite awhile to make any adjustment to this. I didn't see it in person or on TV but he probably was shifting his weight early, allowing his torso to move forward in a lunging action, and then topping off on the ball. This is a Busch League mistake and it took him quite awhile to adjust. I understood that he was anxious since he was given a great chance in the Bigs. However, Deno needs to make adjustments, which is what Big Leaguers do. Then again, you can only watch Griffey and Dunn hit into the shift so many times before you stop making them.
    I'd say he made those adjustments by his September performance. He finished 2006 hitting very well.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I'd say he made those adjustments by his September performance. He finished 2006 hitting very well.

Yes, that's the difference between Deno and Larson. Deno made the adjustments and Larson didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?