Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everyday Eddie/Reds close to minor league deal

Everyday Eddie/Reds close to minor league deal

CINCINNATI -- The Reds are close to re-signing closer Eddie Guardado to a Minor League contract and inviting him to Spring Training with the big-league club.

A deal could be finalized by the weekend, Guardado's agent, Kevin Kohler said.

"We agree on pretty much everything, but we want to make sure everybody is OK with the way the contract language is written," Kohler said.

Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said earlier this week that he was in talks with Kohler, but has a policy of not commenting on negotiations.

Guardado was acquired by Cincinnati from the Mariners on July 6 for Minor League pitcher Travis Chick and earned $6.25 million in the final season of a three-year contract.

The 36-year-old left-hander had lost his closer's role in Seattle and had a 5.48 ERA in 28 games. But he solidified the Reds' bullpen by going eight out of 10 in save chances with a 1.29 ERA in 15 appearances until he blew out his elbow on Aug. 19. He underwent ligament replacement -- Tommy John -- surgery in September and won't be ready in time for Opening Day.

Because it'd be signing him to a Minor League deal, Cincinnati wouldn't have to use up a 40-man roster spot during camp to retain Guardado. The reliever wanted to be able to continue his rehabilitation with the club while still being around teammates.

"Eddie didn't want to demand a Major League deal where they'd give up a roster spot when he won't be ready until June at the earliest," Kohler said. "Eddie wants to come back there."

Guardado, an All-Star closer with the Twins in 2002 and 2003, began throwing two weeks ago and "feels unbelievable," according to Kohler.

The Reds currently don't have a named closer on their Major League roster. Krivsky and manager Jerry Narron have previously said that right-hander David Weathers and lefty Mike Stanton would likely share the ninth inning role with young lefty Bill Bray also in the mix.

Earlier this week, the Reds inked injured starter Paul Wilson to a Minor League deal and invited him to camp. Wilson has been out since June 2005 and rehabilitating from right shoulder surgery. The club has also been in talks about a camp invite for another injured pitcher, lefty Kent Mercker, who is also recovering from Tommy John surgery.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Everyday Eddie/Reds close to minor league deal

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    He underwent ligament replacement -- Tommy John -- surgery in September and won't be ready in time for Opening Day.
    No kidding, especially since the normal time to make it back to pitching is closer to 12 months. I would say the earliest one could expect to see EG is July, that makes this not a big deal.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

The club has also been in talks about a camp invite for another injured pitcher, lefty Kent Mercker, who is also recovering from Tommy John surgery.
    I thought Mercker was retiring to go play golf at Jack's Place in Columbus.
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

Not a bad idea. The way I look at it if he does come back at the AS break the Reds can trade Cormier or Stanton.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    No kidding, especially since the normal time to make it back to pitching is closer to 12 months. I would say the earliest one could expect to see EG is July, that makes this not a big deal.
    Eddie is a good guy to have around in the clubhouse. It's not a big deal, but I am in favor of the move. If he can contribute at any time (even September) then it's that much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Pedro:

That was my thought too...
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I get a little misty every July when Eddie Guardado arrives to pitch for a few weeks.

Makes all the routine posts.

When he was in the pen, I really like Eddie with the Reds. He seemed to be a rather possitive addition.

It may be a long shot, but I hope he comes back and has a successful end of his career whether that's with the Reds or not. He seems to be a very upstanding person with a true passion for the game and a true undrstanding of the team concept.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Because it'd be signing him to a Minor League deal, Cincinnati wouldn't have to use up a 40-man roster spot during camp to retain Guardado. The reliever wanted to be able to continue his rehabilitation with the club while still being around teammates.

"Eddie didn't want to demand a Major League deal where they'd give up a roster spot when he won't be ready until June at the earliest," Kohler said. "Eddie wants to come back there."
    You have to love a guy like that with a team player attitude. Even if we just use him to get lefty's out.......
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

I would like to sign every Day Eddie to minor league deal and have him rehab and be a positive influence with the other pitchers.

That Braves game when he got -- was it three, all three? -- outs with the bases loaded was one of the seriously overlooked moments of the Reds' season to me.

to me it beat Arroyo's homers, Ross's walk-off, Lizard's good moments, Harang's complete games, Freel Day...really was right up there with Dunn's walk-off grand slam, honestly.

And moments like that make me the irrational baseball fan to the point that I think the Reds should keep him on the roster forever and ever amen.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    I get a little misty every July when Eddie Guardado arrives to pitch for a few weeks.

It's like when the swallows come back to Capistrano.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    That Braves game when he got -- was it three, all three? -- outs with the bases loaded was one of the seriously overlooked moments of the Reds' season to me.

to me it beat Arroyo's homers, Ross's walk-off, Lizard's good moments, Harang's complete games, Freel Day...really was right up there with Dunn's walk-off grand slam, honestly.

And moments like that make me the irrational baseball fan to the point that I think the Reds should keep him on the roster forever and ever amen.
    CAN I GET AN AMEN????!
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    CAN I GET AN AMEN????!
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

Turn Off Ads?