Turn Off Ads?

Thread: LaRoche to Pittsburgh for Gonzalez

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

LaRoche to Pittsburgh for Gonzalez

ESPN.com is reporting that the Braves and Pirates have agreed to a swap of Adam LaRoche and Mike Gonzalez.

There was no word yet whether other players were involved in the deal, though the belief all along was that the Braves wouldn't make the trade without getting a second quality property back. The trade means Salomon Torres will likely take over as Pittsburgh's closer. Gonzalez will combine with Rafael Soriano to give the Braves the best setup tandem in the business.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: LaRoche to Pittsburgh for Gonzalez

The always smart Braves.

LaRoche is still full of question marks, is he the second half player of the first half player? Can he focus on the game or his adhd?
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

I wonder if the Braves will catch heat for trading a starting eight player for a reliever.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I like the trade for the Pirates. Gonzalez is a decent lefty reliever. He's never pitched more than 54 IP in a season and he puts too many RHBs on base when he faces them. He's a bit of a new age Ricardo Rincon.

Now, I don't expect Adam LaRoche to go on and become the next Brian Giles, but Pittsburgh is a good park for LH hitters and he's heading into his prime. He could hit 100 HR with 300 RBIs over the next three years. Would I trade Mike Gonzalez for that? You bet I would.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

The fact that the Braves tried all off-season tells that they think the 2nd half of 2006 was a fluke and they were going to sell high.

Are they right? Only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    I wonder if the Braves will catch heat for trading a starting eight player for a reliever.
    Yep!

Got some friends who are Braves fans and they are livid over this one.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Braves either think that LaRoche was an abberation or they are doing like everyone else and think that middler relief is where it is at!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    The always smart Braves.

LaRoche is still full of question marks, is he the second half player of the first half player? Can he focus on the game or his adhd?
    I guess I don't see LaRoche as a question mark. Here' my take:

offense:
    mlb 2006 average 1B: .282/.358/.483
    Pecota '07 projection for LaRoche: .277/.352/.511

defense:
    PMR to runs: -4.5 (ranked 31st in the majors at firstbase)

LaRoche projects as a slightly better than average first baseman offensively and a decidedly below average first baseman defensively. Overall, he's roughly an average first baseman. That's pretty valuable at his current $420,000 (3 yrs service time) but his value will begin decreasing significantly as arbitration and free agency dramatically increases his salary. It's not that terribly difficult to find a first baseman who can put up a reasonable facsimile of the offensive numbers that LaRoche has/is projected to put up... For instance, the Reds platooned two turnips last season and got this from first base: .297/.390/.480 for the cost of about $2M. It's also not that terribly difficult to find a good closer see JJ Putz (who was never a highly valued prospect) for instance (or any of Billy Beane's creations).

The Braves aren't necessarily selling Laroche high with regards to his production....they're selling high with regard to his value (i.e. cost of his production). This is a good move for both teams IMHO-both get needs met cheaply and can probably fill the gaps in their rosters left by the trade by looking in-house. The Braves have dramatically rehaped their pen-a glaring weakness from '06- by both going younger and cheaper this offseason. They essentially acquired two of the most sought after pen arms on most GMs wish lists. I don't think there is a hidden motive for trading Laroche. The Reds could probably have used every player involved in this trade.
    Last edited by jojo; 01-18-2007 at 10:47 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

IIRC Didn't LaRoche platoon with a guy that is probably 50? I think I would rather have gonzo.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    IIRC Didn't LaRoche platoon with a guy that is probably 50? I think I would rather have gonzo.

I'm actually surprised Wayne hasn't traded for him - Franco, not LaRoche.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    He didn't platoon in '06.

Atlanta had 602 at bats from their first basemen and Laroche had 480 of them... a majority of those 122 at bats were missed by Laroche due to a recurring hamstring injury and the occasional day off (he played 142 games in '06).
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?