Re: Ron Mexico Busted!

Can't take credit for this but thought it was funny:

"Add airport security to the list of defenses Vick can't read."
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Turn Off Ads?
    So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Shouldn't toking up improve his game? Herb always makes time and space slow down for me.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    You could say that about a majority of jobs. Would you want to fly on a plane where the pilot doesn't show good judgment?

Course not. Far as I'm concerned, Vick can smoke weed all day and continue to be a mediocre QB. But one of the keys to being a successful NFL QB is showing good judgement. If the defense is lined up one way, you have to have the good judgement to change the play if it doesn't look like it's going to be successful. If your favorite WR has 3 guys covering him, it's poor judgement to throw it to him. You don't see Peyton Manning or Tom Brady or Carson Palmer or Donovan McNabb doing stupid stuff like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

It's not the same kind of judgement. Not at all.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    It's not the same kind of judgement. Not at all.

Judgement is judgement. If you make the wrong decisions in your personal life, chances are you're going to make them on the football field. And it's not necessarily about smoking weed. It's about making a fuss when they ask you to get rid of the bottle. Good judgement would have been to do as you were asked with no problem and no one's the wiser. Bad judgement is making a fuss which arouses suspicion leading to his current problems.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I disagree, Chip. For a professional athlete making a decision on the football field is almost second nature. They study formations, plays, etc, day after day after day. It's beat into them.

To make a decision like Vick made at the airport has nothing to do with that.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Judgement is judgement. If you make the wrong decisions in your personal life, chances are you're going to make them on the football field. And it's not necessarily about smoking weed. It's about making a fuss when they ask you to get rid of the bottle. Good judgement would have been to do as you were asked with no problem and no one's the wiser. Bad judgement is making a fuss which arouses suspicion leading to his current problems.
    It's a different set of rules, and a different skill set for each. Throwing to Alge Crumpler in man-to-man coverage is one thing. Ignoring drug laws because you're young, rich, and "above the rules" (or because you were never taught the consequences) is quite another.

Flip the argument for a minute: would a guy who makes bad judgements on the football field be apt to make bad decisions in real life? No.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I agree. Totally different.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Flip the argument for a minute: would a guy who makes bad judgements on the football field be apt to make bad decisions in real life?
    Rex Grossman makes bad judgements throwing to covered receivers. Rex Grossman makes bad judgements blowing off preparing for his job because it's New Year's Eve. You can certainly make the argument.

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    Shouldn't toking up improve his game? Herb always makes time and space slow down for me.
    And you're still hoping that Dukakis will win the '88 primary.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Course not. Far as I'm concerned, Vick can smoke weed all day and continue to be a mediocre QB. But one of the keys to being a successful NFL QB is showing good judgement. If the defense is lined up one way, you have to have the good judgement to change the play if it doesn't look like it's going to be successful. If your favorite WR has 3 guys covering him, it's poor judgement to throw it to him.You don't see Peyton Manning or Tom Brady or Carson Palmer or Donovan McNabb doing stupid stuff like this.
    Probably because they're not tokin' (or maybe they don't inhale)

And why Tommy's NFL career never took off

Last edited by GAC; 01-19-2007 at 08:39 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I disagree, Chip. For a professional athlete making a decision on the football field is almost second nature. They study formations, plays, etc, day after day after day. It's beat into them.

To make a decision like Vick made at the airport has nothing to do with that.
    It's called S-T-U-P-I-D-I-T-Y.

How about this:

Falcons' Vick cleared of any wrongdoing
    Jan. 22, 2007

ATLANTA (AP) -Michael Vick was cleared by police Monday of any wrongdoing at a Miami airport, four days after the Falcons general manager said the star quarterback had "let a lot of people down."

Vick's water bottle was seized by security at Miami International Airport last Wednesday. Police said it smelled of marijuana and had a hidden compartment that contained a "small amount of dark particulate."

Lab tests found no evidence of drugs, according to a memo by Deisy Rodriguez, an assistant state attorney in Florida. She said the bottle no longer is considered evidence in an investigation.

Police will not file charges and there will be no disciplinary measures from the NFL or the Falcons.

"If there is no violation of law, there is no basis for discipline," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told The Associated Press.

Vick has had no public comment on the incident.

"Michael fully understands that his actions on and off the field are a reflection on the Atlanta Falcons and the NFL," Vick's attorney, Lawrence H. Woodward Jr., said in a statement faxed to the AP.

"Michael intends to spend this offseason focusing on his family, working with his teammates and the new coaching staff to insure that the Falcons have a great season in 2007, and devoting time to his charitable interests."

The 26-year-old Vick had been the target of jokes and sharp criticism since the incident, including a skit on "Saturday Night Live."

On Thursday, Atlanta GM Rich McKay said Vick "knows he let a lot of people down. Not just the coaches, not just me, not just Arthur Blank, but the fans. We were very clear in discussing that."

McKay said Blank, the team owner, "is upset."

After Vick was cleared, the Falcons issued a statement.

"We appreciate the speed at which the Miami authorities concluded their investigation, and we are pleased to learn of the outcome of the investigation," spokesman Reggie Roberts said.

"This is another reminder of the high-profile nature of a professional athlete and the close scrutiny players undergo related to their conduct on and off the field. We look forward to putting this matter behind us," he said.

This season, Vick became the first quarterback in NFL history to rush for 1,000 yards. Atlanta had the league's worst passing attack and went 7-9, missing the playoffs for the second straight year. Coach Jim Mora was fired and Bobby Petrino was hired.

Vick led Atlanta to the NFC championship game following the 2004 season. The Falcons re-signed him to a $137 million contract, the league's richest deal at the time.

Vick had to apologize this season after he made obscene gestures to home fans while walking off the field following a loss to New Orleans in November.

Last April, Vick settled a lawsuit filed by a woman who claimed the player knowingly gave her herpes. She also claimed that he used the alias "Ron Mexico" while seeking treatment for the sexually transmitted disease.
    http://www.sportsline.com/print/nfl/story/9947830

Also, here's the skit from SNL: http://youtube.com/watch?v=RjtVnqZCndo
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Well, sounds like the Miami Police drug test lab gets the assist this time.

Anyone think Vick would have kept quiet and taken all the bad press if he wasn't certain that he was busted?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?